Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

Keigan wrote:
@Hypnotized,

As you explore, please consider the following as a research item:
- Ketosis, or Keto Diet, or Ketogenics

When you were born, your body was fueled by keytones, then the world probably swapped your diet towards man made formula and foods. Today your body has probably been fueled by insulin, which is derived from a diet of sugar and carbs. Along with the insulin comes a tremendous amount of alergies as well as weight, our bodies don't do well on insulin as our genetics have not evolved towards modern farming.

Think caveman - what did that caveman eat?

I live off of a diet of good fats and protein, I intend to consume almost no carbs but they always sneak in. I'm currently at the healthiest I've even been in my life, no Rx medications, no alergies, I can drop a pound of weight a day if I desire. BUT, I had to give up all forms of carbs.

I eat: almonds, walnuts, avocado, cheese, bacon, chicken, cauliflower and brocilli, plus a protein shake in the morning. For exercise I walk, it is enough.

While I don't have a problem with ketogenic diets per say, your statement about insulin is wrong. Insulin is not an energy source, it's a storage hormone. And keep in mind that protein also causes insulin spikes, fat is the only macronutrient that causes little to no spike. The only reason you drop weight so fast, is because you lose water weight from the glycogen stored in your body. You don't actually lose more fat than your deficit dictates. The ketogenic diet can have some satiety benefits for some people though.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2017, 7:35 am

That is a "duh" moment for me, you are correct I did use the incorrect term.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 7:53 am

Hyp, I just want to congratulate you for taking your first step towards a better future. Eating healthy truly does payoff in the end. It may seem difficult at first, but you can do it. I personally need to start doing this. I don't even know my weight. All I know is that I gave up cookies for Lent. I'm actually giving them up forever (well, most of the time), but Lent was a good excuse. My mother always complains about her weight, but she refuses to do anything. Just the other day, she bought a pack of Oreo's. I'm proud to say that I've eaten none after two days of them being here. Keep on going for the both of us!

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

I actually sort of took another step, which is that I downloaded Pokémon Go. =P
I really like the game and yesterday I went out for 3 hours just walking by Pokestops.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

Walking is good!