Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tethys
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2017, 2:15 am

Hi
Which are the most ethical AS research, support and awareness groups and organisations in Australia?
Where will donations be most effectively used?
Which ones are run by people on the spectrum for people on the spectrum with our best interests in mind?
Who doesn't have a good reputation and should be avoided?
Does Autism Speaks have any groups or affiliations in Australia?

*moderators, I think I posted this to the wrong place this morning, please remove the other one posted in politics :D

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2017, 4:55 am

Probably all of the research is done at university (e.g. University of Sydney and their research on the beneficial use of oxytocin for ASD people.)

I am not aware of any non-university organisations that conduct this kind of academic research. Maybe some of them do not-so-academic research (whatever that involves), but I haven't looked into it.

In purely my own limited experience with support organisations, I find them to be useless. I don't believe that any of them are run by people on the spectrum.

I do my own research in my own time. But I am not attached to any organisation.

Tethys
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2017, 8:15 pm

liminal wrote:
In purely my own limited experience with support organisations, I find them to be useless. I don't believe that any of them are run by people on the spectrum.

Thanks liminal,
Yes, I am aware of some research initiatives in the universities. Some of these have been women specific but no support network has emerged from them yet (that my inquiries have uncovered). I need to keep looking.
Right now I am only putting out the feelers, seeing what, if anything, is out there. If nothing is currently running for women then I will expand my search to include reputable Australian non-profits run by people on the spectrum for people on the spectrum with a special interest in helping women, with no affiliation with autism speaks.
T