How do Religious people have faith despite the Bible?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 4:51 am

This is a question which has always baffled me why do religious people have faith despite what their books say.

I mean lets look at the old testament for one, when Samson died he took hundreds of Philistine civilians with him and before killed innocent Philistine citizens to pay off a debt. How can people look at this work and think their god is good.

How?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 6:01 am

Playing the role of apologist:

Because God brought those people into the world, he has the divine right to take them out.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 9:35 am

They were taught to believe in the bible at a very young age, before they were able to think critically.
Becouse of this, "God is good and everything in the bible is true" is ingrained in their brains, just as strongly as "my mother speaks english" and "my country is the best, despite what anyone says".

This is true for all religions, not just christianity (with the bible), and it is a bit sad if you think about it...

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 10:17 am

Shahunshah wrote:
This is a question which has always baffled me why do religious people have faith despite what their books say.

I mean lets look at the old testament for one, when Samson died he took hundreds of Philistine civilians with him and before killed innocent Philistine citizens to pay off a debt. How can people look at this work and think their god is good.

How?

Isn't that called free-will?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

izzeme wrote:
They were taught to believe in the bible at a very young age, before they were able to think critically.
Becouse of this, "God is good and everything in the bible is true" is ingrained in their brains, just as strongly as "my mother speaks english" and "my country is the best, despite what anyone says".

This is true for all religions, not just christianity (with the bible), and it is a bit sad if you think about it...

I think it is a bit sad not to believe in God.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

izzeme wrote:

I'm sure that's true of most. But lots of people become Christians for the first time as teens and adults.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:45 am

Primarily because they don't take the Bible literally.

They realize that the content might have been "inspired" by God, but that the "revelations" contained within it came from multiple sources--all of whom have their own "take" on God.

And they remember that the Bible was written between about 700 BC and 100 AD. And that at least of the substance was applicable to that time, but not to ours.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

They realize that the content might have been "inspired" by God, but that the "revelations" contained within it came from multiple sources--all of whom have their own "take" on God.

And they remember that the Bible was written between about 700 BC and 100 AD. And that at least of the substance was applicable to that time, but not to ours.

This is a good explanation. I really don't take the Old Testament literally - most of the stories are just not true to life for me (especially since I'm a realist).

Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:56 am

nurseangela wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

This is a good explanation. I really don't take the Old Testament literally - most of the stories are just not true to life for me (especially since I'm a realist).

So how is a person supposed to separate the real from the fake if that's the case?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 12:10 pm

EzraS wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

So how is a person supposed to separate the real from the fake if that's the case?

What do you mean?

The New Testament (for me) is more realistic in that I believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins - people are being put to death on crosses today by ISIS.

Is that what you are talking about?

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

EzraS wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Like the story of Sampson - I read over it because I really do not like reading the Old Testament. Sampson ended up losing his strength because his hair was cut? Sounds like a mental disorder to me. :mrgreen:

Darn, I flunked.

rama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2017, 1:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Metaphors "constitute the only means of communicating the experience of the Numinous." (I'm not sure if that applies to the bible, since I'm not really acquainted with it.)

Reason is overestimated, and so is objective truth. Reason is useful as a tool and good for leisure activities. Unless objective truth is a means of improving mankind or exercising power, it is at least no better than e.g. aesthetic truth, which may give rise to ever-higher philosophies of life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 5:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Very well said. I think the only time we can take scripture literally is in the New Testament, where God with a human face speaks to us directly as Christ. Or at least, that's what I believe.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 5:55 pm

EzraS wrote:

It is written within the New Testament that "...Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures," (Acts 17:2). In fact, both the Old and New Testaments refer 34 times about using reason (logic) to determine biblical intent such as fact versus parable. So, even the characters within the Bible knew that care and logic had to be used when reading and deciphering the Bible's words.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 6:30 pm

The New Testament was introduced in order to update and/or correct the Old Testament;

The Testament of Truth was recently written and initially finished a couple of decades ago by the very Messiah himself, although there are still updates made even into this very year, and The Testament of Truth has been introduced in order to correct all previous so-called scriptural-writings or so-called holy books because they ALL contain error and it is ONLY The Testament of Truth that is without spiritual-error due to having been written by the very hand of the ONE «sin-free» man who had come into this universe in order to educate everybody as to the TRUTH (the REAL Truth) that is given by God.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 8:56 pm

My guess is that most believers take the Bible as a collection of stories that contain truths about the human condition.

Not as a collection of true stories.

The subset who are extreme literalists who do take the Bible as literal fact are actually a modern phenomenon that sprang up around 1900.