How do you feel about the term "Aspie"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2017, 1:19 am

For some reason it bothers me. I don't think it's offensive it just hits my ear wrong. Seems a lot of people have no problem with it.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 1:21 am

Hmm, I guess the -ie comes off as a bit cutesy. Not really bothered though but I never pronounce it aspie by mouth, I'll just say aspergers or autisms.

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2017, 1:23 am

It depends on whom is using it and in what context. Unfortunately, most people I encounter use negative connotations or confuse aspie with MR/ID and it really does bother me. I become embarrassed and shutdown on talking to others about it.

GiovanniB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 1:39 am

I hate it. people make fun of it and call me ass pie. I hate the name Asperger's syndrome. It needs to be called something else. Why can't it just be called Autism or High Functioning Autism ?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 2:06 am

Compared to what?

"Person with aspergers"?

"aspergian"?

Both longwinded, clumsy, and generally, yucky.

Compared to those two options "aspie" is great.

You may still object to any term derived from "aspergers" because you dont even like "aspergers" itself.
Thats another, and more thorny issue.

It would have been nice if the guy who discovered the condition were named "Albert Anastasia"(the notorious mobster who got gunned down in a barber shop in the Fifties), or "Leonardo DiCaprio". But unfortunately he was an Austrian with a clunky German language name.

It would be cool to be a "Anastasian", or "DiCaprian". But Dr. Asperger is the guy we are stuck with.

Parents like the term "aspergers" because its an autism spectrum diagnosis that doesnt have the word "autism" in the label. But apparently some children with the condition become adults who dont like it because of bad memories of the kids in the playground make all of those "ass burger", and "ass pie" taunts, and actually prefer "high functioning autism".

I am boomer who never heard of the condition until late in life, and was only dx a few years ago. So to me the label is like a suit of clothes that I can put on, and take off at will. So I can put it on for the positive aspects, and ignore the negative. That maybe part of why it has no bad associations for me, and only neutral-to-positive associations.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 2:17 am

I don't like NT. Makes me think of that movie "ET".

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2017, 2:40 am

Lunella wrote:
Hmm, I guess the -ie comes off as a bit cutesy. Not really bothered though but I never pronounce it aspie by mouth, I'll just say aspergers or autisms.

I'm the same. It's short and I'll write it but it is a little "cutsey". I don't tend to speak it as I'd feel embarrassed by its fluffiness and the other person would probably have no idea what I was talking about and then I'd have to explain and everything would get complicated and there would be questions and then the headache would start :)

It's better than autist which sounds too much like flautist!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:03 am

Well I never use it. I never use Asperger with normal people either. However I use it a lot when talking to doctors.
Whenever I use Aspergers in public the person I'm talking to will always yell at me and say "You don't have aspergers, my fifth cousin's son back in country X's wife's daughter's son's uncle's nephew has it and they are completely disabled! How could you say that!?" Then they get more aggressive. I don't want to get beyond this point.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:07 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Well I never use it. I never use Asperger with normal people either. However I use it a lot when talking to doctors.
Whenever I use Aspergers in public the person I'm talking to will always yell at me and say "You don't have aspergers, my fifth cousin's son back in country X's wife's daughter's son's uncle's nephew has it and they are completely disabled! How could you say that!?" Then they get more aggressive. I don't want to get beyond this point.

"my fifth cousin's son back in country X's wife's daughter's son's uncle's nephew has it"

That's hysterical!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:25 am

liveandrew wrote:
Lunella wrote:

I'm the same. It's short and I'll write it but it is a little "cutsey". I don't tend to speak it as I'd feel embarrassed by its fluffiness and the other person would probably have no idea what I was talking about and then I'd have to explain and everything would get complicated and there would be questions and then the headache would start :)

It's better than autist which sounds too much like flautist!

Definitely better than "autist".

Autist also sounds like "artist".

The term "autist" is stupid because it makes it sound like you "do" autism on purpose, as a craft or a profession.

You're not an "autist". You're an "autistic".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:34 am

nurseangela wrote:
I don't like NT. Makes me think of that movie "ET".

An "ET" isnt so bad.

I like the term "neurotypical" because it makes them sound like theyre kinda boring. They're okay people, but their just "typical",and Vanilla. Lol!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:54 am

I have a hard time knowing what to write when describing autism or someone with autism here , when I joined I used ASD as thats what most of the literature I read described it as. Then someone here told me they didn't like that term because of the disorder tag so most of the time I usually use whatever term is used the post before me or the term in the title. No matter what term is used someone will find a jokey way of using it , no term really bothers me but if I have a preference it's "being on the spectrum". But if we are voting on a new term DiCaprian gets my vote :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 6:38 am

I'm an autie. When everybody says aspie here, I feel left out :cry:

not really

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 7:17 am

I dont mind it at all however peoples false perceptions about it do bother me! :evil:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 8:06 am

I think it's an okay term.

I'm not "really" an Aspie, though LOL

I am, technically, a classically autistic person.

SmallBun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 8:47 am

I actually prefer the term "aspie." It does have a bit of a cutesy sound to it, which may be why I prefer it more. Hehe :oops:
But that's just me.

I just like being cute and small.