Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 3:53 pm

Hello.
This summer i am going on two trips, and for the latter one i am quite nervous.

Does anyone have any good tips on anything to keep me occupied?
Any good DS/3DS games, good fidget/stim toys, etc. ?

Anything i should keep in mind when travelling?

Anything i can prepare myself for when travelling?

Any must have items such as ear defenders (if, yes what brand?) or something else??

PS. I have travelled much in the past, but this will be the first time I'm almost an adult, and that freaks me out, a lot.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm

I like to read a book or do crosswords.

How are you travelling? (Bus? train? plane?)
If it's by train I would definitely need some extreme music and earbuds to drown out the other passengers.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:52 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I like to read a book or do crosswords.

How are you travelling? (Bus? train? plane?)
If it's by train I would definitely need some extreme music and earbuds to drown out the other passengers.

Plane and will stay in a very big loud city

owenc
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 9:20 pm

Read a newspaper!

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 5:59 am

owenc wrote:
Read a newspaper!

Since i am just 16 (17 when travelling) i doubt i would find it interesting enough. But that does remind me to bring some books (physical or kindle). Specifically my favorite ones and some about my special interests!

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 6:46 am

I get everything I need from my phone really. Wikipedia is your best friend.

Also have books everywhere...and check out local bookshops and stuff like that.

Also I know you might not want to tell us were you're going for personal reasons but I mean, you should enjoy where you're going. I rarely travel because of my family but if it was up to me I would literally go to every country in the world without a second doubt. In fact, I would live that way, spend half a year in each country and I would die abroad. I just love this fantasy.

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2017, 7:49 am

Good headphones, sunglasses, water, snacks. Perhaps something to read if you can focus. The things that stress me the most from traveling are noise, being dehydrated / hungry, and being visually overstimulated. If you're similar, having good comfy headphones (maybe noise-cancelling, although I don't know how well they perform as I don't have any) is one of the outmost necessities. I also choose music that has a lot of different frequencies (electronic, dark ambient, metal) so that it masks the surrounding noises better. Preparing snacks (before going to the airport) and water (once at the airport) for the way is also pretty handy, as I tend to forget about food and then have a really hard time when I get starvation-level hungry. Then I find that a magazine (animals and science are my favourites, but there are plenty at the airport) or a book I can get really into help to get distracted.

I travel very often, and I think that the most helpful thing is to have a very clear plan / routine to follow. Mentally and logistically prepare for the security check (have the laptop / tablet, if any, handy; get liquids inside a plastic bag beforehand, wear sneakers instead of boots (for those airports that demand boots be removed), etc.), find something you like to do while at the airport (I always get a coffee in the same place, and sit at the gate to wait while I drink it), get luggage checked-in if funds allow, so that you only have a backpack to fit inside the plane (backpacks go under the front seat, instead of inside the upper compartments, so you don't have to worry about getting enough space where to fit a bigger luggage).

Hope this is helpful. I have been in plenty of different airports and travel 4-5 times every year, sometimes more. If you want, message me.

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

GenX
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2017, 11:55 pm

I do a lot of research of my destination. Google street view is your friend. When I get to a new country or city, there is a lot of stuff I immediately recognise. That helps a lot. I print out lots of maps so I know where I am going and memorise things like the easiest route from my motel to the train station or wherever.

A strange foreign city can be really confronting at first. The culture shock has hit me really hard at times, but I pick my self up and follow my researched plan.

Be polite and friendly to the locals and they'll be more than happy to help.

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2017, 9:43 pm

I don't know what kinds of ds games you like, but, personally, I love all of the imagine games. They're kind of old, and you can buy them pretty cheap on Amazon.com. One thing I love about them is they can be played without sound, and not lose any of their facets.