Would you use an emotion detecting machine?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Racheli
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2017, 4:27 pm

Hey all,

I've just watched the "Big Bang" episode where Sheldon gets an emotion recognizing machine (s10e14) and I'm wondering about it. If such a machine existed, something that would tell you during a conversation what the person in front of you is feeling (some basic information- happy, angry etc.), would you use it? Let's say it's not something big like in the episode but a smartphone app or a wristwatch or something. If yes, how would you like it to look like and work? Which functions should it contain?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

I would like a direct implant in my brain. Or if we're talking out there things I just want health sense in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:58 pm

That machine would probably get me wrong :wink:

ConfusedPanda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2017, 9:23 pm

I feel like I wouldn't know what to say anyway, if I knew how someone felt during a conversation :lol:

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:13 am

Quote:
I feel like I wouldn't know what to say anyway, if I knew how someone felt during a conversation

Ignorance is bliss, eh? Just ramble on unknowingly? :wink:
It's definitely an interesting point - if you haven't got the emotional intelligence to be able to detect another person's emotions, then it's likely you don't have the emotional intelligence to respond adequately even if such a device could tell you. And it might even be more confusing - you may be having what you perceive to be a completely benign conversation and the machine is flashing Rage! Rage! Such would be even more confusing than being unaware of that feeling to begin with.
Plus, from the little I observe, most people are not emotionally honest anyway. If I was in the above scenario, I'd be just as likely to put my proverbial foot in my mouth and outright ask "why is a simple conversation making you angry?"
Which would be unlikely to be appreciated by the other person. You're not supposed to point that kind of thing out.
Sorry - tangent.
I think it would be interesting, as I don't understand emotion so am never able to detect what others may be feeling, but it would also be confusing as I wouldn't know how to respond even if an external device could tell me.