Can one be both conservative *and* tolerant?

Page 1 of 14 [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm

Even long before Trump became president, I have grappled with the question of whether conservatism automatically makes one a bigot, or whether one must be liberal to be tolerant.

Your thoughts?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:00 pm

Yeah I think most people are a mixture.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:08 pm

I've met intolerant/racist liberals, and socially-liberal conservatives.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:09 pm

I think it is possible to be conservative and tolerant, as long as you aren't looking to gain political advantage.

But, if you are looking for political power and influence, you might say that the "dark side" may pull you toward bigotry as a cheap and easy way of influencing people. It is much easier to place blame somewhere than to come up with real solutions to difficult problems.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

I've met intolerant liberals. They call the other side, bigots and rednecks and all kinds of slurs. They might as well be racist themselves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 11:30 pm

Sure, one can be tolerant and be a conservative. Unfortunately, the conservative movement has been hijacked by religious right fanatics, social Darwinists, and white nationalists. I know conservatives who are good, decent people, many at my church, who are greatly embarrassed by what their political ideology has become.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 11:49 pm

Conservatives and liberals are tolerant and intolerant of different things based on thier values. For the sake of discussion, the first thing we need to do is establish what constitutes tolerance.

Shahunshah wrote:
I've met intolerant liberals.

And how! :lol: :lmao: :lmao:

Quote:
They call the other side, bigots and rednecks and all kinds of slurs. They might as well be racist themselves.
And those slurs can be turned around and weaponized as taunts against those making the accusations.
Any grief they have from it can be written off as self inflicted since they attempted to draw first blood.
What comes around goes around...

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 12:45 am

Raptor wrote:
Conservatives and liberals are tolerant and intolerant of different things based on thier values. For the sake of discussion, the first thing we need to do is establish what constitutes tolerance.

Shahunshah wrote:

Quote:
They call the other side, bigots and rednecks and all kinds of slurs. They might as well be racist themselves.
And those slurs can be turned around and weaponized as taunts against those making the accusations.
Any grief they have from it can be written off as self inflicted since they attempted to draw first blood.

That most certainly can happen.

What I was saying is that their are many liberals who mock Working class Americans and in the worst cases act as though they are less. That can verge on intolerance.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 1:16 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Shahunshah wrote:

Quote:

That most certainly can happen.

What I was saying is that their are many liberals who mock Working class Americans and in the worst cases act as though they are less.

Which can easily be argued may have very well created a climate favorable for Trump to be elected.

Quote:
That can verge on intolerance.

Hell, it IS intolerance.
Also somewhat hypocritical when you consider that many liberals are below working class in that they don't even try to gain employment.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 1:34 am

Quote:
Also somewhat hypocritical when you consider that many liberals are below working class in that they don't even try to gain employment.

That's not a good argument. It's a sweeping generalisation. That's like Daily Mail scaremongering.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:09 am

hurtloam wrote:
Quote:

That's not a good argument. It's a sweeping generalisation. That's like Daily Mail scaremongering.
He was not saying a generalization. Many people who vote for Democrats are unemployed and take benefits from the government.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:14 am

Shahunshah wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Quote:

He was not saying a generalization. Many people who vote for Democrats are unemployed and take benefits from the government.

I want to see some proof.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:20 am

Well the whole reason why many undocumented immigrants came was because jobs here weren't being filled. It makes it or the more likely that these people are liberals. Since Africans that make up allot of the Democratic voters in the 2000s had high unemployment rate in spite of this.

Last edited by Shahunshah on 25 Feb 2017, 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:48 am

I think part of the notion that liberals are the champions of tolerance agaist intolerant conservatives, is due to a lot of liberal propaganda.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:59 am

Shahunshah wrote:
I've met intolerant liberals. They call the other side, bigots and rednecks and all kinds of slurs. They might as well be racist themselves.

Because bigot is definitely a racial slur...

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 3:20 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Because bigot is definitely a racial slur...
Its not racial slur but like racial slurs they degrade someone and put down their character.