Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2017, 6:38 pm

Today one of my bosses said to me that she didn't like that I wasn't smiling. I felt like telling her that was her problem and not mine. I don't go around with a grin on my face and honestly I'm hard to amuse. Besides that, imo it was a totally unreasonable time to expect me to be smiling. I was in my cubicle area, alone, working.

Perhaps the one problem here is that she's the person that hired me not too long ago and I pretended to be a happy, friendly, eye contact making NT.

I am really happy in my job. Today I felt sick though. I didn't mention that to her though.

Last week this older man that works there said something stupid about me needing to smile. It made me sick, men telling women to smile. But the problem is bigger than that. People have commented on this forever. What can I say so they will stfu. Who cares if I smile? I'm content.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

burnt_orange wrote:
Today one of my bosses said to me that she didn't like that I wasn't smiling. I felt like telling her that was her problem and not mine. I don't go around with a grin on my face and honestly I'm hard to amuse. Besides that, imo it was a totally unreasonable time to expect me to be smiling. I was in my cubicle area, alone, working.

Perhaps the one problem here is that she's the person that hired me not too long ago and I pretended to be a happy, friendly, eye contact making NT.

I am really happy in my job. Today I felt sick though. I didn't mention that to her though.

Last week this older man that works there said something stupid about me needing to smile. It made me sick, men telling women to smile. But the problem is bigger than that. People have commented on this forever. What can I say so they will stfu. Who cares if I smile? I'm content.

The other folks you mention may just be ordinary caring people. They may feel (from your expression) you are not happy with your job (some say this is very important) and hope this will change because they like (or at least don't hate) you and would like to have you stick around? Or maybe it (the smile statement) just jumps out as a standard NT "conversation starter" hoping to elicit a friendly, personal response? Just a wild ass guess.

I'm glad to hear you're content (NOT trying to bug you...really). In fact, while I was working, the last thing on my mind was if I was smiling and looking friendly. Good luck there.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2017, 1:47 pm

NT's are by nature demanding. It can be like dealing with small children, because they demand attention a lot, so silly things like suggesting you should smile can be just attempts to get you to acknowledge their existence. They expect everyone to be like them and believe facial expressions to be very important. Unless you boss is being hostile, don't let it bother you.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2017, 4:52 am

perhaps I can say the field I work in (I ride ambulances/EMT) is rather demanding in this regard, much moreso than customer service, so it is kind of hard to compare, but I actually enjoy putting on a smile and talking to people now. Much moreso than when I was in school or working customer service.

Shocking for a aspie, I know, but when someone is in the back of the truck with me, anything I can do to make what must already be a pretty bad day even a little bit better for them just makes my day. I recently transported a Vietnam aged army veteran, double amputee, and let him go nuts on me with all of the jokes he could think of. Sure, most of them weren't funny really, but me sitting there, smiling now and then, nodding and laughing absolutely made his day when most days he rarely leaves a hospice room. Even if it forces me to be much more outgoing than I am off the job I absolutely love moments like these.

I am aware what I do is probably not at all familiar to what you do and I am aware most aspies probably wouldn't think of working a job like mine, but what I will say Re: public interaction is just remember that if not to make yourself happy, making other people happy can be immensely gratifying.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 11:17 am

docfox wrote:
perhaps I can say the field I work in (I ride ambulances/EMT) is rather demanding in this regard, much moreso than customer service, so it is kind of hard to compare, but I actually enjoy putting on a smile and talking to people now. Much moreso than when I was in school or working customer service.

Shocking for a aspie, I know, but when someone is in the back of the truck with me, anything I can do to make what must already be a pretty bad day even a little bit better for them just makes my day. I recently transported a Vietnam aged army veteran, double amputee, and let him go nuts on me with all of the jokes he could think of. Sure, most of them weren't funny really, but me sitting there, smiling now and then, nodding and laughing absolutely made his day when most days he rarely leaves a hospice room. Even if it forces me to be much more outgoing than I am off the job I absolutely love moments like these.

I am aware what I do is probably not at all familiar to what you do and I am aware most aspies probably wouldn't think of working a job like mine, but what I will say Re: public interaction is just remember that if not to make yourself happy, making other people happy can be immensely gratifying.

I can relate 100% to what you're saying. I was in customer service for many years (22 1/2) and the reason I stayed with it was: 1. It was a gas being the expert and using my "expertise" to help others and 2. I considered it a personal challenge which gave me the mission of constant improvement (= no boredom). Best job I ever had. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 11:27 am

They may just be trying to be helpful. In a lot of jobs, smiling at work makes work easier. Simple as that.

It may not work for you, because you are different. But, you really can't expect other people to figure that out.

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2017, 4:31 pm

ZenDen wrote:
docfox wrote:

I can relate 100% to what you're saying. I was in customer service for many years (22 1/2) and the reason I stayed with it was: 1. It was a gas being the expert and using my "expertise" to help others and 2. I considered it a personal challenge which gave me the mission of constant improvement (= no boredom). Best job I ever had. :D

I'm a critical care nurse and when interacting with the patients' families I go into smiley nurse mode. The tone of my voice changes too.

With coworkers I guess I don't have that presentation so much because they are often suggesting "smile some honey" or asking "are you OK?". I've started taking these statements as cues to smile, sometimes throw in a chuckle and wave of the hand and say "Oh, that's just how my face looks. I get that all the time."

Seeing it typed out doesn't seem so smooth though. I may need to ask someone how that comes across. Fortunately I've been at my work long enough my coworkers no longer harass me about my blank face.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

Quote:
I'm a critical care nurse and when interacting with the patients' families I go into smiley nurse mode. The tone of my voice changes too.

With coworkers I guess I don't have that presentation so much because they are often suggesting "smile some honey" or asking "are you OK?". I've started taking these statements as cues to smile, sometimes throw in a chuckle and wave of the hand and say "Oh, that's just how my face looks. I get that all the time."

Seeing it typed out doesn't seem so smooth though. I may need to ask someone how that comes across. Fortunately I've been at my work long enough my coworkers no longer harass me about my blank face.

When parents or other relatives are worried that little smile you give has to be much appreciated. The lack of such a wonderful thing would/could be very worrying otherwise....good for you! :D :D :D

"Oh, that's just how my face looks. I get that all the time." isn't so bad an explanation...although you might put something like: "when I'm thinking." after the words "..."that's just how my face looks" :D .

Thanks from all of us for your caring help.

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

ZenDen wrote:

"Oh, that's just how my face looks. I get that all the time." isn't so bad an explanation...although you might put something like: "when I'm thinking." after the words "..."that's just how my face looks" :D

Excellent idea. Or, "Oh I was just thinking about something", and have a stock answer ready like, aquascapes or developmental care. This forum is becoming practically useful :D . Thank you.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 11:18 pm

At least two separate supervisors have had the nerve to ask me "why are you smiling?". One supervisor was a female lawyer. The other was a female Certified Public Accountant. While I am FTM trans. Quite frankly, I found it annoying they had the nerve to ask. It was like they were so arrogant they truly believed they have a moral right to get whatever they want immediately. Large and small. Including nearly inconsequential things like facial expression. They put on a facade that they were receptive to the correct answer. Then when I answered they acted like it was just not the correct answer.

When I was 18 and presenting as cisgender female, a female high school dean had the nerve to tell me "Smile!".

According to the instances in the first paragraph, I smiled when someone deemed I should not have smiled. According to the second paragraph, I failed to smile when someone told me I should have smiled.

Some customer service jobs micromanage minimum wage employees, with protocol governing the most trivial of actions. When I worked at a fast food restaurant, there was a rule that said that you cannot give the leftovers of your employee meal to a friend. Instead, you have to trash it. Failure to obey involves getting fired. Furthermore, sometimes those rules do not appear to make sense.

But since you said you were alone in a cubicle, as a fellow autist, I could not imagine why anyone would tell you to smile, unless they were trying to annoy you.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things I can't imagine, and that does not make them unjustified or get rid of them. Also, even if your supervisor had no reason, as long as the supervisor did not do anything illegal, maybe you have to passive aggressively conform. Otherwise the supervisor could fire you.

Even if the supervisor were to have done something illegal, then what? Then you have to take a videotape and call 911? Take out a civil lawsuit?

Seriously, some neurotypical people have egos much too large, out of proportion to their importance.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:30 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
At least two separate supervisors have had the nerve to ask me "why are you smiling?". One supervisor was a female lawyer. The other was a female Certified Public Accountant. While I am FTM trans. Quite frankly, I found it annoying they had the nerve to ask. It was like they were so arrogant they truly believed they have a moral right to get whatever they want immediately. Large and small. Including nearly inconsequential things like facial expression. They put on a facade that they were receptive to the correct answer. Then when I answered they acted like it was just not the correct answer.

When I was 18 and presenting as cisgender female, a female high school dean had the nerve to tell me "Smile!".

According to the instances in the first paragraph, I smiled when someone deemed I should not have smiled. According to the second paragraph, I failed to smile when someone told me I should have smiled.

Some customer service jobs micromanage minimum wage employees, with protocol governing the most trivial of actions. When I worked at a fast food restaurant, there was a rule that said that you cannot give the leftovers of your employee meal to a friend. Instead, you have to trash it. Failure to obey involves getting fired. Furthermore, sometimes those rules do not appear to make sense.

But since you said you were alone in a cubicle, as a fellow autist, I could not imagine why anyone would tell you to smile, unless they were trying to annoy you.

On the other hand, there are plenty of things I can't imagine, and that does not make them unjustified or get rid of them. Also, even if your supervisor had no reason, as long as the supervisor did not do anything illegal, maybe you have to passive aggressively conform. Otherwise the supervisor could fire you.

Even if the supervisor were to have done something illegal, then what? Then you have to take a videotape and call 911? Take out a civil lawsuit?

Seriously, some neurotypical people have egos much too large, out of proportion to their importance.

Welcome to the forum. :D Is it ok if I call you something shorter such as "sfbum?" Hmmm..SF-Bum sounds like you hang out in San Francisco. Well anyway sfbum.... Welcome to our friendly forum :D .

Can I ask you a question? In the first paragraph when you smiled when you shouldn't have: Did someone just break their leg, but after the initial shock you were thinking of something private and smiled? What kind of crazy place was that to work anyway? Plenty of times self-important NTs will ask stupid questions to flaunt their authority....as though "THEY" (in all their glory) can ask anything they want, and you (the lowly peon) must answer...no matter how trivial or absurd the question...in an attempt to embarrass and show control over you.

Or maybe they're just stupid...sometimes it's just hard to tell.