Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:56 am

AUTISTIC CHILDREN: They are sometimes locked up in a room by parents and left to die

Quote:
According to the Coordinator, Autism Associates, Mr. Okey Martins, “Many children in Nigeria with autism are either not diagnosed or misdiagnosed. They either end up being hidden at home or clubbed with the deaf, dumb or mentally ret*d children. In rural areas where there are no psychiatric hospitals, majority end up on the streets as insane fellows.” Martins lamented that, today, there are no schools for children with ASD. Although there had been attempts by parents of autistic children to set up schools to cater for children with autistic like challenges, lack of fund, and limited skills hindered the vision. “What is in the country today is a centre that caters for persons with physical, mental and developmental disabilities,” he stated. For Martins, exorcism is the common treatment and mothers are blamed for their children’s autism. There is a lot of stigma and discrimination against disabled persons. There is no recognition of autism as a disability and nothing; absolutely nothing is available to meet the needs of those with the condition. Continuing, he said: “Even the Federal Ministry of Education does not categorise autism as a distinct disability despite the fact that the condition is currently reputed as 3rd most common childhood disorders and fastest growing developmental disability. Many of the so called “mad” persons on Nigerian streets are recoverable persons with autism who were neither diagnosed nor treated. Yet they could have been treated. They could have been among our leaders today.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JVM23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2017, 1:30 pm

Well that's just typical. Some African countries really need to get their priorities straight.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:16 pm

Well, I don't like words like "diagnosed" or "treated"... I much prefer "identified" and "dealt with". Autism isn't a disease, though some of its comorbids like anxiety are diseases.

But yes, it's awful that they let them die or be homeless in the streets.

At least the guy said they would be salvageable if only there were services. He should have said it was the severe cases he's talking about though... a lot of autistics can be world leaders without help.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2017, 1:05 pm

I spent a few years in West Africa, and this all paints a distorted view of what is going on. Families "locking up kids to die" isn't "normal" anywhere, and I'm sure most Nigerians would be disgusted by such actions.

In much of West Africa, large families live together, eat together, work together, etc. Because of that, people with mental disabilities, illnesses, or impairments are usually taken care of by their families, or are taken in by another family or workplace. There isn't a formal system to help them for the most part, but there aren't formal systems for most people in general. Before they start worrying about treating people with autism, they need to work on their systems for education, healthcare, etc. It's kind of crazy to criticize a place for its healthcare standards when its institutions in general are lacking.

There are mental institutions around West Africa for people without familial support. The services they provide are pretty rudimentary: they feed patients, house them, and keep them out of trouble. Again, expecting them to provide the right therapy isn't realistic.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

in other news: Bad Situation for Autistics in Nigeria