Anyone else dislike the sound of whispering?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 1:49 pm

Thread inspired by my mother coming into my room and whispering something to me. There's just something about the sound of people whispering that grinds my gears. I don't know what exactly, though, much less how or when I began to dislike it.

Might this be another common ASD thing or am I in the minority?

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 5:02 pm

I have no idea whether it's an ASD thing, but I always hated whispering. Hurts my ears and it's just bloody annoying.

eet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2017, 5:08 pm

It does raise the hair on the back of my neck. :?
And it's not always easy to understand whispered information.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2017, 5:35 pm

An absolutely disgusting sound, according to me.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

THIS. It's the absolute sort, far more annoying than just speaking up.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2017, 7:11 pm

Agreed!! I find whispering is very, very irritating.

Another possibly related source of irritation for me is when someone comes in late to a lecture or performance, and adopts a rather ridiculous ape-like gait as they walk across in front of the audience, as if they think they have made themselves small and invisible when they haven't.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 8:34 pm

I'm guessing ASMR isn't for you, then?
I'm not fond on whispering either.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 9:31 pm

I cannot stand whispering. At all. Misophonia.

Quote:
Another possibly related source of irritation for me is when someone comes in late to a lecture or performance, and adopts a rather ridiculous ape-like gait as they walk across in front of the audience, as if they think they have made themselves small and invisible when they haven't.

I believe this may be a communication about the person's intent - "yes, I'm sorry I'm late, I don't mean to just waltz in and disturb everyone, I'm trying to get out of the way in just a moment" kind of sentiment.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2017, 9:56 pm

C2V wrote:
I cannot stand whispering. At all. Misophonia.
Quote:

I believe this may be a communication about the person's intent - "yes, I'm sorry I'm late, I don't mean to just waltz in and disturb everyone, I'm trying to get out of the way in just a moment" kind of sentiment.

Yes, I think you are probably right. I brought it up in the same context as whispering because sometimes people are whispering in order to try not to disturb those around them. But for someone who finds the sound of whispering irritating, it ends up creating more disturbance than if they had spoken in a normal voice. Same with the people who creep across in front of the audience with bent backs, trying to look apologetic. I know they may mean well, but it drives me crazy!

But even whispering isn't so bad as rustling plastic wrappers, or noisy chewing. Those sounds really drive me to the brink of violence!

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2017, 10:43 pm

you should never watch a bob ross video.

Special Interest: memes

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 3:24 am

foxant wrote:

Noted. :P

Xochitl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2017, 7:00 am

foxant wrote:

I have to turn his videos up quite loud to make them bearable as I love both painting and Bob Ross. :P

I HATE whispering, it makes the hair on my neck stand up and I flinch away.
My daughter loves to whisper to me and I have accidentally yelled at her before because it makes me feel terrible. Thankfully; as she's growing up (4 1/2 years old) she is understanding my limits with things.

Polly
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2017, 7:35 am

I can't stand someone whispering right in my ear or breathing in my ear or being that close to my face for that matter, unless your my hubby and kids then you can have a quick kiss. :D

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 7:38 am

I don't like it.
But for a different reason -- because it tickles. :lol: It kinda ruins it when it's actually serious...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2017, 11:34 am

strings wrote:
Agreed!! I find whispering is very, very irritating.

When ever I go to a concert I always seem to get a seat near the end of a row. Both ends of the row fill up with a gap in the middle. It is only my row that this happens, or the one in front. Then, when the concert has started the late comers arrive.

They are always the ones who want to be first out to the bar, then they are late back after the interval and then they rush out before the end of the performance. Usually they need to go out to spend a penny too.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 11:39 am

I talk to myself all day long so I can hear myself think, and so others can't hear I whisper but I don't whisper when I am trying to talk to someone else. Whispering as a form of communication is annoying.