Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 11:37 pm

At school, we were going over a set of problems. The teacher was going down the row for students to answer the questions. I was drawing a pattern, and there were still a few students before it was my turn to go. However, the next thing I knew, it was my turn to answer a question, and I didn't know which question we were on. This has never happened before (that I could remember), so I thought it was a bit weird.

I don't have trouble paying attention when I draw patterns. However, I have had very little sleep for the past few days (just like the rest of my peers). My guess is that it impaired my ability to multi-task, and I ended up losing track of time and tuning out everything except for my pattern. I wasn't anxious or anything like that. This was also the last class of the day.

Another few times, it just seemed to me that they skipped some questions.

Have you experienced anything like this?

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 5:34 am

Since it had never happened, previously, it would seem that the logical answer is sleep deprivation. Drawing is a stim of mine, and I can easily become entranced while drawing or doodling. So, perhaps, it could have happend for either reason...

sweetperfume
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2017, 8:08 pm

There's a 99.99% chance that I'm overthinking this (so feel free to ignore what I'm about to say), but my mind jumped to absence seizures when I read your post. Around 1/4 of autistics develop epilepsy during puberty (I'm just guessing that you're around that age, although once again I could be completely off base), and seizures can be triggered by sleep deprivation.
That being said, if it only happens when you're tired and bored, and not when you're in the middle of other activities, you probably just spaced out or got distracted.

xxJennaxx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

This happens to me all the time. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but if it becomes a problem you should definitely tell a parent or doctor.

I have Asperger's and OCD. I love languages.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 5:52 pm

The reason why I thought it was odd was because being tired, distracted, and/or spaced out had never made me lose track of time or what's going on around me to that extent. So it is pretty common after all.