Are more guys loking for GFs than girls looking for BFs?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 5:59 am

Why does it seem like the number of guys looking for girlfriends is greater than the number of girls looking for boyfriends?

One example is dating sites. Girls get hundreds of messages per day. Why are there lots of guys on dating sites and few girls? Because all the girls have boyfriends? Then why are there so many single guys?

Sometimes it seems like that in real life. Most of my female friends have boyfriends but fewer of my male friends have girlfriends. If most girls have boyfriends then where are all the single guys coming from?

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:44 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Why does it seem like the number of guys looking for girlfriends is greater than the number of girls looking for boyfriends?

Because it's a gender standard that a guy must be the one who's actively looking for a partner. Girls rarely look for a boyfriend.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If most girls have boyfriends then where are all the single guys coming from?

Gender ratio for humans is not 1 to 1. It makes sense that there's more men. Think about it. If nearly all women have boyfriends then that leaves us with a number of men who would be left out.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:46 am

How many more guys than girls are there?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:48 am

Best I can figure western society tends to expect guys to make the first move in a relationship so most single guys are actively searching for girlfriend while most single girls are just kinda' waiting to be asked out. That explanation seems consistent with my observations.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:51 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
How many more guys than girls are there?

In terms of birth rates there is a slightly higher percentage of males but the life expectancy of females is a bit longer so in terms of population there are slightly more females. It's kinda' weird. Both of these deviate from being perfectly 50/50 by about 1% I think, it isn't a huge difference.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 6:58 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
In terms of birth rates there is a slightly higher percentage of males but the life expectancy of females is a bit longer so in terms of population there are slightly more females. It's kinda' weird. Both of these deviate from being perfectly 50/50 by about 1% I think, it isn't a huge difference.

Yes, men suck at surviving. And even though it's more than 1%, but it's still very small. Nobody really cares about a few percents of forever alones.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 7:09 am

314pe wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:
Yes, men suck at surviving. And even though it's more than 1%, but it's still very small. Nobody really cares about a few percents of forever alones.
Are you saying that there are more women in the world because guys are more likely to die prematurely from unnatural causes?

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 7:16 am

Not only from unnatural causes. A large cause are heart illnesses. And yes, there's more women. Check the statistics for Australia.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 7:22 am

So because I'm a guy I'm less likely to survive until 70. That sucks.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:01 am

Don't worry. Worrying increases the risk of heart illnesses.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:13 am

But I worry all the time! 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:38 am

In some places, there are more guys than women. In other places there are women than men.

The ratio is rarely more than 1.1 to 1, though.

I would say that more men are ACTIVELY seeking to find a girlfriend than vice versa.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 07 Mar 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

In short yes.

Men are more likely to see relationships as an essential part of life, women as an add on.

Men tend to fall in love faster, actual research confirms this.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:51 am

Another possibility is that there are more men with multiple partners.

Sometime World
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2017, 10:10 am

- Polygyny (more male serial daters than female. i.e. "CADS" and "Chads"). Only good looking men are very sexually active, where as females don't need to be good looking to get a regular free supply of sex. Most women just need to not be fat. Even then there's a large market for BBW/obese/disabled females and other niches.

- Looks Hypergamy. More average-looking females are looking to date up in looks than average-looking males looking to date up, esp for short flings; just look how Tinder and most dating sites works like this, and even promote this behaviour. Call it the 80/20 rule or what not. Whilst an average-looking man struggles to get women in his own league (average women), the average women themselves will be presented with opportunities to not only shun hundreds of guys in their own league, but they are very able to get handsome men above themselves. This has only become magnified greatly in the digital age, where an average woman (as long as she's not too fat) can call up a hot stud online like ordering Pizza.

- Stronger competition from older men for younger women (16-34 ish). Your average slim or attractive 25yo female is getting hit on by much older men, younger men etc.

- High Obesity rates of women (and men) in the west, meaning more men would rather be alone than be with obese females.

- Just natural order that more males miss out on reproductive opportunities than females.

- Prolonged Appearance-based rejection is more damaging for males (I've studied this in great depth). Lots of guys simply accept they're unattractive and give up actively looking.

- The "Lek Paradox" - its where females look for males with distinct ornamentation, and very few men have all these correct traits of ornamentation (height, chiselled masculine handsome face, muscles, great hair, dense stubble). See "Sexy Son Hypothesis". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_son_hypothesis

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Mar 2017, 10:39 am

The short answer is obviously yes, it's just in the nature of our human basic biology. Men chase, women choose.