Does anyone actually like current Top 40 hit music?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

I find that a good portion of music I listen to comes from the current top 40 hits category. Some other people don't understand it I guess. And I also think people see it as a very "NT" type of music. But it just gives me that good feeling. I also like the lyrics, even though they may be about typical "NT" situations these days. I also had a fair share of current hit song writer crushes.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2017, 4:57 pm

I don't usually hear much of it apart from what comes on the radio when I'm at the doctor's office. I can't bear it, to me it sounds awful...but that's probably just a sign of me getting old. :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 6:00 pm

Nope, on rare occasions there might be an ok song, but certainly not enough for me to pay any mind to top 40 hits. The vast majority of music I listen to isn't likely to be found on the radio or a top 40 list.

I just don't see what is so great about the majority of mainstream music seems the options there are limited to girly pop music, or romanticized thug life themed rap/hip hop with terrible sounding auto tune, or bursty electronic/dub step that sounds like a cd player skipping and screams of shallow college frat parties or things like that.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

As a rule no. Generally speaking it doesn't have the depth that I like in music (it's one of the things that makes me gravitate toward music), though I will say I've noticed that pop music might be undergoing a shift in that regard. There seems to be more depth and conscientiousness in music than there has been in the not-too-distant past.

--Aldous Huxley

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 6:44 pm

If my music was on there, sure, otherwise nope.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 6:47 pm

I prefer 80's music, something I picked up from my mother. I can't stand most music nowadays. Many artists are not good influences and frankly, their music isn't the best.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 9:15 pm

I don't know what is on the top 40 but I hardly listen to new music

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm

Around the awards seasons I tend to ignore the radio and listen to soundtracks.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

No, I find much Top 40 music to be godawful. More to the point, the type of music that I like the most (metal, hard rock, punk, industrial, progressive, alternative) tends to be completely absent from playlists so I just don't pay any attention to chart music. There's plenty of other ways to find music that I like so I see Top 40 stuff as pretty redundant.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 9:01 am

Sure I like it. Some of my fav songs of the last two years include 'How Deep Is Your Love' by Calvin Harris, 'Sorry' by Bieber, and 'Be the One' by Dua Lipa. I can appreciate pretty much any song Drake releases as a single. I do find it more diffficult to keep up with current trends in pop music, because I've grown put of the target demographic, but of the songs I do hear, I like about half and dislike the other half, just like when I was a teen. I've never taken offence to pop music as a whole, and I don't perceive the supposed drop in quality.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Mar 2017, 9:03 am

Not consistently, most newer music I feel like is pretty bad but occasionally there is a song I like.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 9:24 am

Only that one time when Rage Against The Machine made it to the UKs #1 at Christmas in 2009. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Mar 2017, 12:49 am

I really like that kind of music but the top 40 isn't as good as it used to be.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:59 am

I don't know really and I like classical music sometimes and then may listen to heavy metal or rock music another time. I'd have to actually find out what is top 40 currently & then listen to or look at the song and artist to see if recognize and like the music.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2017, 7:29 am

This is a really weird time for top 40 pop music because it's so easy to shut it out completely. Thanks to the internet, we can dictate the media we're exposed to. This means that the only time I hear pop music is when I'm in public spaces (grocery stores, night clubs, etc.) In my mind, the most significant rapper right now is Danny Brown, but I'm vaguely aware that he's so weird and experimental that he must not be mainstream. And, of course, the mainstream is pretty much irrelevant to the indie/punk bands I follow, though I have some idea of which ones must be popular. Of course, every once in a while I do check out something in the pop world. Beyonce's Lemonade got so much buzz that I had to check it out despite previously hating Beyonce, and I'm glad I did - it's a great album. But for the most part I'm just oblivious.

Dwightfry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

Nope, not since 1989.

That concrete you are trying to dig through is 9 feet thick, it's reenforced with hardend steel, it's designed to withstand a nuclear blast."It doesn't matter. If you pound annything long enough, it'll give"
-Jimmy Bond, The Lone gunmen