Push to hire Autistics for cybersecurity in UK

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 1:47 am

Neurodiversity & Cybersecurity Careers: Recruiting & Retaining Autistic Cybersecurity Professionals

Quote:
At the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom on March 2 2017, many relevant parties gathered to discuss neurodiversity and careers in cybersecurity.

The event was run by the National Cyber Security Centre, Cyber Security Challenge UK, the National Autistic Society and other industry and government bodies.

With the current cybersecurity skills gap, industry is recognizing that people on the autism spectrum can provide invaluable skills to the sector and are often the best performers in technical roles. GCHQ, for example, is one of the biggest employers of autistic people in the country.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 3:10 am

I wonder if autistics have any other skills besides being hackers? 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 3:23 am

smudge wrote:
I wonder if autistics have any other skills besides being hackers? 8)

The only types of jobs the most of the cooperate world thinks we can do are IT relateted or unskilled ones that pay sub minimum wage.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 6:04 am

Am I one of the few on the spectrum who isn't particularly adept in IT? :o

Polly
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2017, 7:15 am

I can hardly work out how to use this site.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 7:29 am

JakeASD wrote:

Nope, I'm not interested in it either. I think it comes down to two things. Whether you're a history/language (includes English class) or a math/science person. It's also possible to just be okay in both, but most people (ASD or not) seem to do noticeably better in one than the other.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 2:39 pm

^ I agree. While I have an inquisitive nature and eye for detail, and my people finding skills are pretty good, I find it boring as s**t. I'd rather do photography or something.

Though, this brings the question, are some asd people in cyber security actually enjoying the job or are they just doing it because they're really good at it anyway and it's the only thing they can seem to do for money?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 2:53 pm

JakeASD wrote:

I consider myself achingly poor at understanding current IT ideas. But, back in the late 1980s in Silicon Valley, I was a technical writer who understood much of the highest of high-tech (vibration analysis). The business for which I worked promoted software prices at between $15,000 and $20,000 per package. Our clientele was small but very knowledgable (think automotive, aerospace and civil engineering).

Working in such surroundings gave me a lot of understanding of the basics of computing and vibration engineering, but it also left me with just enough knowledge to be a digital danger to myself in today's world.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

I'm not really proficient in IT things....