Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 7:38 am

Nothing comes immediately to mind about self-imposed restrictions with respect to daily living. Maybe the closest thing in my experience was an early decision that I would never touch illegal drugs. It probably helped that I grew up in the 70s and 80s, in a rural area where drugs were (I suppose) difficult to come by.

On a somewhat related note, I do like to impose restrictions on myself when it comes to my photography. I'll head out with one fixed (non-zoom) lens, or a plastic toy camera with few user controls. When it comes to art, limiting your available tools can be a great way to enlarge your creative vision. If I take too much gear with me, it's often counter-productive. I struggle to decide which tool to use in the moment, and the moment may slip by. If I have only one option in hand, then I'm more likely to get a good photo.

My Official Facebook Page

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2017, 10:04 am

I find setting parameters for my life makes it easier to cope with.
Mostly it is simple things like always saying "no thank you" when offered a biscuit in the week but it also goes deeper as I am vegan and find it practical to just say no as it does not lead to me having to ask what sort and then go through the mind-numbing exercise of explaining stuff...

It gives focus that defines parts of my life.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:04 pm

At this point, in many ways, I am totally obsessive compulsive. (and have gotten diagnosed as much.)

restrictions/constraints about:
what/when to eat
how much water to drink per day, when to drink it
what time to wake up, go to bed
when to answer the phone

all sorts of rituals

they make "life" better, sometimes, in that it provides a false sense of security. and it frees up decision making energy for other choices.

they make "life" worse, sometimes, b/c less variety.