Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 1:56 pm

I'm putting some serious thought into starting a Let's Play channel on YouTube. I don't expect to become a big hit or anything, but maybe my online books would help in starting to build an audience. I've got my eye on a game capture device (this one: HERE.) You guys have any advice on starting it up? Would any of you be interested in watching it?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:01 am

The way I started my Let's Play channel, I basically started recording whatever PC games I had on my computer from what I've played and beaten first to newer games. I have over 200 Steam games and I'm still in Valve territory.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:04 am

I'm trying to decide if I need some sort of gimmick to set me apart from all the other Let's Players, or if I should just focus on having fun.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
I'm trying to decide if I need some sort of gimmick to set me apart from all the other Let's Players, or if I should just focus on having fun.

Gimmicks like in gameplay or commentary? Having fun is a good choice even when going through the game's less likable moments and stressing to tolerate them 'til you rage is a part of that. It also wouldn't hurt to be informative too like knowing the game inside and out including enemy strengths & weaknesses, lore, best and worst strategies, fun facts about the game, stuff that was cut, personal experiences with the game, what got you into the series, etc. If you're doing a first person game that does silent protagonist stuff, you can experiment with being in character. Basic stuff. I don't know much about gameplay gimmicks other than me using cheats in my Let's Plays. Use whatever style fits you best and what you want for your viewers.

My style is like a mix of all things.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 1:29 pm

Gimmicks in how I do the commentary. Like, instead of just talking about the game, reacting to the game, and saying funny things, I do... something else. I had the idea that I could name the avatar, make up my own story that the game is following, and kind of roleplay my way through that story. Like, "This is [funny name]. He likes [funny things]. Today he's going to [funny thing]." I dunno, that sounds like it might be harder to keep going in the long run, so maybe just doing the "normal" let's play gig would be better.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:29 am

Dont worry about the gimmicks... just be yourself.

I've seen so many LPs at this point, and the best ones (in my opinion at least) are the ones who just do their own thing. ...And who dont scream alot.

Same with deciding what games to do, I know alot of LPers just pick whatever's popular, but... I dunno, I've always figured it's best to just go with whatever you personally feel like playing.

Good luck with your channel.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:07 am

I ordered the capture card. Hopefully should arrive next week. Now I'm trying to think of what my name should be. I usually make my username ThisAdamGuy (big surprise!), but I wonder if that might not be memorable enough. I was thinking about making it Game Badger. When you mix up the first couple letters of my first, middle, and last name, (Ad)am (Jer)ald (B)olander, it sounds like "Badger." So, yay for creativity? What do you think?

Edit: looks like there's already a "TheVideoGameBadger" on YouTube. Do you think Game Badger is too similar?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm

I'd definitely try something other than badger. Whatever you come up with, I hope it's better than the name of my old YouTube Channel MrIAMNOTANOOB. I did not come up with that, my brother did. I'm on vidme now under the name GodModeHeroes. It let's viewers know that cheating is my thing. It's nice and shorter than my old zippcast name UnstoppableProtagonists.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 7:17 am

Well, I went ahead and did it. I decided to start off with a game I know really well, so I chose Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. Check it out, I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsGczagqTWs