jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 7:56 pm

smudge wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
smudge wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I've already been over it, and it would derail the thread to get into another back and forth. If I say promoting discredited ideas and silencing dissent, maybe we can end it quickly. There are more positive ways to characterize those actions, and that's fine.

You brought it up.

You have no ethical standing with me to try and correct my behavior.

I really don't get what your problem is with me. I've done nothing to you.

What a peculiar way for me to have a problem with you. Ignoring you unless (and until) you respond to my posts? With snark, and nothing else, I should add.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

Huh?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:11 pm

smudge wrote:
Huh?

Exactly.

jrjones9933 wrote:
gobbledygook

Yep.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:11 pm

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:13 pm

EzraS wrote:
smudge wrote:
Huh?

Exactly.

jrjones9933 wrote:
gobbledygook

Yep.

:lol:

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Name calling aside, Dox, it's obvious enough to anyone who looks, and part of adn's goal is to draw people into huge yet trivial debates and fill the page with walls of sweet gobbledygook. So yeah, I neither want nor need to clarify further than I have, and you have no idea what you're replying to anyway.

Considering the context and content of your first communique to myself in this thread, the logical inference is that you're projecting your own motivations onto myself in the above quote. You initiated this dialogue by addressing me directly with a spurious accusation. If you're incapable of following my perfectly comprehensible posts, I firmly suggest you refrain from wasting my time with further paranoid claims.

TL:DR Find someone else's head to buzz around. I'm simply not interested in discussion with someone who seems intent only on trolling.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Name calling aside, Dox,

Name calling? Last I checked I called your statement paranoid and delusional, because it was, but I don't seem to have called you anything in particular. I do like that you responded by acting yet more delusional, it's nice to get instant feedback like that.

jrjones9933 wrote:
it's obvious enough to anyone who looks, and part of adn's goal is to draw people into huge yet trivial debates and fill the page with walls of sweet gobbledygook. So yeah, I neither want nor need to clarify further than I have,

Really, his goal is to waste his time writing meticulously detailed critiques of people's reasoning (or lack thereof in your case) and faulty assumptions, when if distraction is his goal, cat memes would do? I don't think that word, obvious, means what you think it does.

jrjones9933 wrote:
and you have no idea what you're replying to anyway.
[/quote]

I thought I was replying to idiocy, and so far I've been right, but feel free to "clarify" further if you feel the need.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

adifferentname wrote:
I'm simply not interested in discussion with someone who seems intent only on trolling.

I think of him as providing a useful service, as one is spared the labor of constructing a strawman to attack when he's around, a real time saver.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
People maintain things that are convenient for them. Colonialism took a variety of forms, and used existing cultural practices as well as imported ones to develop its stereotypes. It's not like white people invented all this stuff out of whole cloth at a committee meeting. I find the people who think that we can remake history as amusing as I find the people who think they can restore a history which they have actually invented.

Overcoming stereotypes comes pretty easily when people share a common goal. Segregation will never overcome stereotypes.
Your statements are so broad I don't even know where to begin. Maintain what things? And what imported practices has America used to form stereotypes of Asians other than which relates to Orientalism from Europe? How do you figure that the implications of my statements have anything to do with inventing stuff out of a committee meeting as opposed to just spreading myths over time based on sexual and economic competition which are all exacerbated by the fact that Asians look different? What do any of my statements have to do with revisionist or fabricated history? What exactly are you getting at when it comes to common goals, stereotypes, and segregation?

smudge wrote:
I think the worst thing about racism is the bullying and associated bad behaviours behind it. I don't think an assumption based on a short clip is something to be alarmed about. As Erza said, which is quite relevant, the lady looked a lot younger than him too, and as someone else mentioned, did look submissive. I really don't see any ill-intentions behind the assumption that she could have been a maid.

It's not like they said, "Oh look, she's (insert comment about her being inferior in some way, because she's Asian), she must be his maid".
While those who have internalized such stereotypes may not have any bad intentions and may simply be ignorant as opposed to bigoted, the stereotypes themselves have certainly come from subjugation. I disagree that it is nothing to be alarmed about; such assumptions are problematic and can easily lead to full blown racism.

It's not just Americans, but every conqueror and colonizer back to at least Egypt. Stereotypes and prejudices are maintained as long as they serve a purpose, and often carry over into the post colonial period. People never seem to get over them as long as they stay separated. Any good normal goal should suffice. People have to update their expectations based on direct experience, if their learned assumptions come from colonial thinking. That covers most people's unconsciousness.

It certainly grows into bigger problems. I consider clouded thinking a fairly big problem already.
Oh, I was confused for a second and thought you were strictly talking about racism against Asians in America. In that case, I agree with you.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
I'm simply not interested in discussion with someone who seems intent only on trolling.

I think of him as providing a useful service, as one is spared the labor of constructing a strawman to attack when he's around, a real time saver.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer some robust material to dissect. The more substantial arguments made on PPR tend to be in support of positions I agree with, and I'm not inclined to play devil's advocate merely for the sake of sharpening my claws.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer some robust material to dissect.

As would I, but in the meantime, I make due.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
So yeah, I neither want nor need to clarify further than I have, and you have no idea what you're replying to anyway.

You're not known for being clear in the first place...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 9:30 pm

From the article:

Quote:
The clip quickly went viral, with Twitter users describing it as “the funniest thing the BBC has ever broadcast”. But some people have said a common assumption made by people sharing the video online — that the woman seen pursing the children is hired help — is racist.

:roll:
I guess Trump needs to do something like fart in public or say fμck during a press conference to get the liberal's minds off of things like this...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 9:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-interview-crashed-by-cute-children-sparks-racism-row-over-nanny-a7626596.html

So Asian woman = nanny.

This world is so f****d up.

I saw the clip when it was first in the news and it didn't cross my mind that the woman was anything other than the mother of the children. If this was correct, it was a subconscious process at the time - I didn't think of all the possible alternatives - a parent, an older sibling, an au pair, a boarder, a nanny, a neighbour helping out..

Perhaps I thought "mother" because I am a mother and can identify with a mother's reactions in that circumstance.

Often what you see depends on where you stand, or where you have stood..
I don't really understand why this thread developed into an outbreak of unpleasantness, but in fairness to the OP, I'm asking posters to stop the tirades and restore the conversation to more measured comment. Continuing to stir it up from here may result in locking or even warnings, though hopefully not.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 10:00 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Behaving subservient ? obedient? Why because she was hiding from the camera?

They were both just panicked from the situation for a brief moment.

I completely agree with you.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm

I don't think the woman looks significantly younger than the man. I immediately thought "mother" because the children seem to have a mix between Asian and Causasian features, and because the woman's reaction reminds me of how my own mother reacted when I did something similar to my dad.

Lots of western people are used to associating Asian women with nannies, so I'm not very surprised.