Swearing customer accused me of having no manners

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

d_a_l_j
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2017, 12:16 pm

At one of the charity shops where I worked, I served a lady (I use that term loosely) who was cross with me because of the way I gave her her change. She said, "You ain't got no ******* manners, throwing the money like that." I wasn't being rude, because I have always done that in the past and no-one complained about it in the past. And with language like that, SHE'S the one with no manners!

I wasn't in the best of moods when I came into work that day, but I considered myself in a decent enough state to perform my duties. This just made it worse. I didn't say anything to the woman, I just cried and struggled with the rest of the workload. Because of the way I handled it (this was the first time I ever had a really nasty customer) I was demoted and made to work in the backroom.

How can I deal with this better should this happen again in future? Any good advice please.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:20 pm

A smile and some small talk usually prevents such situations, but that can be a difficult skill for those on the spectrum to master. A lot of autistics would actually prefer to work in the back room, away from customers, for precisely that reason.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm

You need to make some kind of script up in your head, like every time a customer comes in do the same thing every time. So for example, you'd have to smile and say "here's your change, have a nice day" in a kind of higher pitch positive tone of voice. Not like too much though.

How about you google some videos of people serving other people in shops and just mimic what they do, something simple but polite/positive. It may help.

Also, don't let that interaction get to you, the general public are complete idiots. They'll get butthurt about the most ridiculous things, especially old people, cause they just love complaining and having drama cause they've nothing else to do so it keeps them entertained. Well done on getting out there and doing this stuff in the first place though and don't worry about the demotion, just better your skills and try again, practice makes perfect.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:45 pm

d_a_l_j wrote:
At one of the charity shops where I worked, I served a lady (I use that term loosely) who was cross with me because of the way I gave her her change. She said, "You ain't got no ******* manners, throwing the money like that." I wasn't being rude, because I have always done that in the past and no-one complained about it in the past. And with language like that, SHE'S the one with no manners!

I wasn't in the best of moods when I came into work that day, but I considered myself in a decent enough state to perform my duties. This just made it worse. I didn't say anything to the woman, I just cried and struggled with the rest of the workload. Because of the way I handled it (this was the first time I ever had a really nasty customer) I was demoted and made to work in the backroom.

How can I deal with this better should this happen again in future? Any good advice please.

Try not to take it to heart so much, obviously she was the one being rude...why should that have to ruin the whole rest of your day? Not really sure how to not feel bad if something like that happens, but if its possible to sort of 'ignore it' till you get off and then let all the upset about it out later then that may help. Obviously a distraught customer service person isn't going to be much use.

Or just avoiding customer service can be a good way, then you don't have to deal with customers at the check out at all....that is what I'd like as I doubt I'd have a great reaction to rude/snippy customers or ones who try and rush me. Perhaps you could continue working in the back-room or doing stuff that is not so much customer interaction oriented.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:52 pm

"You ain't got no f*cking manners!"

"No, ma'am, I have to make do with regular ones."

d_a_l_j
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2017, 2:22 pm

I should point out that the manager was absent on this occasion, and I had to answer to the deputy manager, whom I didn't know very well. So this incident kind of threw me in at the deep end.

Anyway, a career adviser once told me that most retail outlets don't employ people to only work in the backroom, which I guess is why my applications for proper paid shop work have failed. But I enjoyed working on the till until that incident. I believed that working directly with customers would help me overcome my obstacles and grow in confidence

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 2:40 pm

I suppose it is like playing contact sports. No matter how good you are you can expect to get beat up pretty badly every now and then. Maybe you can get back in there and do better the next time?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:02 pm

d_a_l_j wrote:
. . . But I enjoyed working on the till until that incident. I believed that working directly with customers would help me overcome my obstacles and grow in confidence

I also enjoy working as a cashier. This time I've done so since 2012 at a large grocery and department store. And I'm good at matter-of-factly making a conservational overture with customers. Some customers are talkative, and some aren't, and either way is perfectly fine.

Alright, so you were teary after being ambushed by an extremely rude customer. It sounds like the deputy manager who doesn't know you well overreacted to the situation.

I hope you were only demoted to the back room for the one day. Or, is it a longer term demotion?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

The deputy manager may of put you in back because he thought you were pretty upset & would like/need a break from dealing with customers to calm down. Talk to the regular manager about it when he's there if your still demoted or would like mangment to handle things differently incase there is a next time. The best thing to do in that situation is try not to show that your upset cuz the customer is clearly the one with the problem & taking it out on you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2017, 10:58 am

d_a_l_j wrote:

Please forgive her for what she has done. It is very likely that she was very depressed and kept her frustration to the max and you just happened to be there at a bad timing.