Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 7:24 am

I don't lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:13 am

I've had some disadvantage in the past because of my short height (5 foot 4.75 inches). But I've been able to overcome some of them using other devices to deemphasize my height (e.g., standing up straight).

In general, women don't like dating somebody shorter than them--but it's not universal.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

Why is a short man frowned upon so much in society? Tall women or even thick built girls are not frowned upon as much as short men are. So why is being short if your male so 'wrong'.

At 5ft7 I had people treat me badly because of my height :x

answer: heightism, sizeism

the media protrays tall (lean, white, cisgender, straight, academically smart, visually attractive) people as good (as in morally innocent). the media treats fat people with the stereotype of being lazy, selfish, greedy, and stupid.

some figures of speech illustrate the bias "head and shoulders above the rest", "the upper hand".

there is no quantitative method of measuring how much tall women get frowned upon, versus short men.

you did not choose your height. being short is neither right nor wrong.

in the united states, 5'7, depending on where you live, for a cisgender white man, is not that short.

in some countries, 5'7 is tall.

having said that, plenty of chinese, japanese, vietnamese, racial minorities are much shorter than 5'7. and the cope just fine.

some white man wrote a book about how badly he got treated for being short. and short was 5'5.

on the other hand, if someone treats you badly b/c of your height, then do not waste too much time around him/her, and do not waste too much energy obsessing over it.

personally, i am a trans male. autistic. 5'3, currently 107#. chinese. precious little "people" tell me i look much younger than i am. plenty of times, someone treated me in a way that (i label as) badly. (fine). however, it is not illegal to treat someone badly. for any reason. or no reason. besides, they might not have thought they were treating me badly. furthermore, what if they thought they were treating me badly, maybe they thought i deserved it? or maybe i did deserve it. or maybe that is how they treated everyone that did not look cisgender. of course, i can't read their mind. unless they tell me something. but even if they tell me something, then what?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 3:47 am

I have had the privilege of not noticing my height, but then I found that people felt intimidated by me. Then i noticed other signs of my height. Now i see the whole stupid system. Height is just another condition of birth, no different than race or sexual orientation with regards to fairness and respect.

Now, there are some obvious jokes about a tall person standing up for short people.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2017, 7:05 pm

I'm 5 ft 3 tall man and 100 pounds. So yeah, i'm about as short and skinny as you can get for a man. If I went to the Kentucky Derby and pretended to be a horse jockey, no one would question me. lol

The only legit issue I have with my height at the moment is that a lot of women are taller than I am and this makes it hard to find someone. That's fine, it doesn't bother me, I would date a girl 3-4 inches taller. The problem is that a lot of women don't want to date a guy who's the same height or shorter than them. The thought of being bigger and taller than their boyfriend turns them off and makes them feel less feminine. Even women who are shorter than me refuse to give me a chance simply because i'm short and skinny and it's frustrating at times. Iv'e learned that OkCupid and Plenty of Fish are a waste of time because they will look at my height and automatically write me off. And being short combined with struggling socially because of autism makes it hard to date. I feel worthless in the eyes of women and that makes me sad.

I really want to push myself this year and find someone. But i'm not exactly a ladies man, not even close to one.

conanthewarrior
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2017, 6:09 am

I am about 5 Ft 6 myself, and it is annoying being fairly short for a man.

I can understand that for a lot of women, being taller may feel odd, as it would feel odd for me as well to be in a relationship with someone a lot taller than me. Most people I have been with have been around my height, my last partner was around 5 Ft 5, we was together for 6 years.

It does feel like another obstacle being short as well as socially different and awkward.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 7:12 am

I'm 5'11", so I have no personal resentment here, but it amazes me that so many women are so openly biased against short men. How would you like it if a man openly dismissed you because of, for example, your breast size alone?

Long ago, I dated a woman who was an inch taller. It wasn't an issue for either of us.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 7:20 am

^ What amazes is how they openly say it to my face during a date; ie "you're too short" ; without any remorse; I would never openly criticize any physical 'flaw' to anyone, let alone to a date; why this courtesy that mutual?

It's like as if women are getting too used to be mean to men.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:01 am

Jacoby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Unless you're like Lurch I don't think height is ever a disadvantage, man or woman.
I wouldn't think so either but I've heard girls complain they're too tall. I think it's quite unfortunate. They should learn to feel good about themselves.

I've heard 5'6 girls wanting to be 5'9 and 5'9 girls wanting to be 5'6. Suffice to say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

I wouldn't take their complaints seriously

Seeing as how I spent most of my school years being called "Yeti" and "Bigfoot," I can say that, yes, being a tall woman isn't always pleasant.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:18 am

If tall girls are considered to be unattractive why is it that only tall girls are accepted to be models?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:21 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ What amazes is how they openly say it to my face during a date; ie "you're too short" ; without any remorse; I would never openly criticize any physical 'flaw' to anyone, let alone to a date; why this courtesy that mutual?
It's such a double standard. Women openly say "you're too short" and no one bats an eye. When I tell a girl she's too fat, everybody loses their minds.
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's like as if women are getting too used to be mean to men.
It's like it's taboo for men to be mean to women but it's acceptable for women to be mean to men.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2017, 11:51 pm

I always find this subject interesting. My s.o is almost exactly my height at 5'3 or so. I honestly don't mind... I mean, I couldn't care less if he was my height, or even a little shorter. I sometimes poke fun at him for it, which, in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't. He is a tiny bit sensitive about his height, and has expressed some discomfort/embarrassment at being so short for a man. But I just don't understand it. I suppose I would have to be in his shoes.

Of course, telling him that he is at the perfect height for kissing seems to make him more happy about it. No one has to slouch! We are both on the spectrum.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 6:15 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If tall girls are considered to be unattractive why is it that only tall girls are accepted to be models?

I didn't say tall girls are always considered unattractive.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 6:21 am

I have found tall girls to be exceedingly attractive.....short girls, too :heart:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 1:33 am

Models can have a surprisingly difficult time getting dates. Not Jodie Kidd, I'd imagine. She seems like a hoot.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:21 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Models can have a surprisingly difficult time getting dates.
Why is that?