Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 2:18 pm

As I expected this is a stupid budget made to satisfy stupid peoples who like demonstration of suicidal bravery and brute strength. (The Japan also liked such things in the 1930s and 1940s, it didn't ended well. )
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-budget-breakdown-1.4027472
Cutting budget in research and education and thus becoming a less innovative country that produce less wealth; what could wrong!?
Menaced by a bear? Just close your eye and cover your ears, if don't see or heard the beard he must not be there, right? Thus the cuts in the EPA for climate change research, as well as canceling a NASA satellite that would provide data on CO2 levels. Not like peoples could pester you with annoying facts when the facts are not even collected anymore.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

America First? He should have called it The Rich First. Also, the military does not need $600 billion in funds. We're not at war with anyone though congress would like an excuse to declare war. Eisenhower was, is, and forever will be right about the military industrial complex. I can't believe it's going to hog most of the budget while everything else more necessary is going to rot.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 5:07 pm

With all the cuts to science it won't be long before the US falls behind the rest of the world. Every other major country is spending more on science and research because they know it pays long term dividends. I don't like it, but China will be the next economic and technology centre of the world if this continues.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:19 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
With all the cuts to science it won't be long before the US falls behind the rest of the world. Every other major country is spending more on science and research because they know it pays long term dividends. I don't like it, but China will be the next economic and technology centre of the world if this continues.

Of course, Trump's evangelical supporters will explain that away by telling us how science is evil.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 9:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

Of course, Trump's evangelical supporters will explain that away by telling us how science is evil.

Those are the people that scare me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:21 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

I know people who at the very least question the validity of science.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 7:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

That's good.

Science usually gets it wrong at first.

Doctors no longer endorse cigarettes.
Doctors eventually accepted the existence of bacteria.
We no longer do electro-shock "conversion" therapy on LGBT people.
We no longer believe in "refrigerator mom" theory.
We no longer do lobotomies.
Scientific establishment changed their view from "global cooling" to "global warming".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:41 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

That's good.

Scientific establishment changed their view from "global cooling" to "global warming".

You're right on all, but the last.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2017, 11:39 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

That's good.

I think you mean doctors are no longer paid by tobacco companies to endorse cigarettes. Psychology is in the science category but is not considered a true science by most of the scientific community. There was never a global consensus that there was global cooling. That was a theory put forth decades ago by a few scientists and quickly debunked. Also, science is not about being correct the first time or all the time. Science is about study and evidence. The most important part of science is when evidence is presented to disprove something, that thing gets corrected.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

That's good.

I think you mean doctors are no longer paid by tobacco companies to endorse cigarettes. Psychology is in the science category but is not considered a true science by most of the scientific community. There was never a global consensus that there was global cooling. That was a theory put forth decades ago by a few scientists and quickly debunked. Also, science is not about being correct the first time or all the time. Science is about study and evidence. The most important part of science is when evidence is presented to disprove something, that thing gets corrected.

And the Trump budget is made so scientists will be less able to collect evidences about environmental and climatic conditions.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

Trump's NASA Budget Supports Deep Space Exploration

CBS News wrote:
The Trump administration is proposing $19.1 billion for NASA in its fiscal 2018 budget blueprint, a 0.8 percent decrease from 2017 funding levels, focusing on deep space exploration, both human and robotic, and increased public-private partnerships to lower costs and encourage private sector innovation.

So, NASA people aren't scientists?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Trump's NASA Budget Supports Deep Space Exploration

CBS News wrote:
The Trump administration is proposing $19.1 billion for NASA in its fiscal 2018 budget blueprint, a 0.8 percent decrease from 2017 funding levels, focusing on deep space exploration, both human and robotic, and increased public-private partnerships to lower costs and encourage private sector innovation.

So, NASA people aren't scientists?

Your quote says he is decreasing funding to NASA slightly. Not increasing it.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2017, 3:57 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Except that was a crackpot hypothesis (yeah, I prefer to use the word "theory" for things that actually meet the definition) that not many scientists believed and only came to anyone's attention because of sensationalist press that didn't do its proper research.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Global_cooling