Why is there a double standard with gender?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 2:14 am

Why is it if progressives are for absolute equality, and righting previously-done wrongs, why isn't a men's movement complimentary to modem feminism included within the ranks? Why are they so egotistical about women?

Besides, Islamic society doesn't give a damn about women's rights either. Why don't western women move there to see how good they have it? Being male might as well suck more today anyway.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 2:32 am

What would men fight for?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 2:39 am

i can imagine some "mens movements" to be just reactionary antitheses to existing women's movements.

K_Kelly wrote:
Why don't western women move there to see how good they have it?

i can't imagine that would be a very easy process, even for legitimate reasons. but a simple "reality check"?

people, whole groups, get treated like crap wherever one goes. they can get treated well, too. that there is a really significant oversimplification and generalization.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 3:52 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
What would men fight for?

To start with, they might fight for men's issues to be taken seriously by society, for advocacy for men's rights to be seen in a positive light rather than something to be casually dismissed as being unnecessary (as you apparently have), or worse, considered to be somehow a moral failing. Consider the following article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... ously-the/

"Every day, I ask myself, “Am I the real victim here?”" suggests Alex Proud, in his opening sentence, before unironically categorising men's victimhood as being impossible on the grounds that men's victimhood and women's victimhood are somehow mutually exclusive.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i can imagine some "mens movements" to be just reactionary antitheses to existing women's movements.

Reactionary, yes. After all, virtually all movements are, including those women's movements you mention. They perceive disparity and so are moved to address it. I'm not sure how you arrive at 'antithetical', however. This also suggests a false dichotomy between men's and women's rights, that pursuit of one requires the exclusion of - or worse, the direct opposition to - the other.

I'm an individual rights advocate, which technically makes me a men's rights advocate as well as a women's rights advocate, yet labelling myself only one of these is considered legitimate grounds for calling me a Nazi, largely due to the efforts of members of a particular women's movement to demonise those who advocate for the rights of men.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Why don't western women move there to see how good they have it?

i can't imagine that would be a very easy process, even for legitimate reasons. but a simple "reality check"?

people, whole groups, get treated like crap wherever one goes. they can get treated well, too. that there is a really significant oversimplification and generalization.

Indeed, and K_Kelly's question was poorly framed.

Islamic societies are built on the same foundations as any other successful human society - men have more freedoms but their lives are less valuable, women have fewer freedoms but are protected and held to be of greater value. The reason is born of biology, with women being the limiting factor in the production of human beings. "Women and children first" wasn't arrived at after thousands of years of philosophising, it's been hardwired in for at least as long as we've stood upright.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 3:53 am

Subscribed, I think they raise some valid points, but I found them whiny.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 5:18 am

But these movements are not antithetical at all. They're both about gender standards and all gender standards affect both genders equally. Each gender standard promotes a specific behaviour in one gender and punished it in the other gender.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Mar 2017, 8:35 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Why is it if progressives are for absolute equality, and righting previously-done wrongs, why isn't a men's movement complimentary to modem feminism included within the ranks? Why are they so egotistical about women?

Besides, Islamic society doesn't give a damn about women's rights either. Why don't western women move there to see how good they have it? Being male might as well suck more today anyway.

I don't really understand anything you've said here. I understand each word individually, but there's no flow from phrase to phrase. I'm going to guess but I might have misunderstood so apologies in advance.

What "ranks" would a men's movement be included in?
There are lots of men's rights organisations which are generally seen as fighting the good fight by feminists (one prominent example is the Good Men Project). However, most MRA groups are pretty intellectually bankrupt; they have to be in order to spin men as an oppressed group. There are definitely some ways in which it is worse to be a man than a woman, but most prominent men's rights organisations try to make out that we are living in a society that favours women generally, which is an obvious nonsense.

Few people dispute that it is worse being a woman in Saudi Arabia than in the West! But this is true for almost any issue you care to mention and doesn't allow for our countries to get better. It's a silly point.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:45 am

OP, do you have a better life in the west, or in a fully patriarchal society?