Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2017, 1:00 pm

I am an American, but I have a lot of Irish and German ancestry- as well as French, English, Scottish and Native American. I think I look Irish the most, maybe?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:07 pm

Ever since you first starting posting with that pic as your avatar Ive always thought "there's a White dude with a LOT of American Indian blood".

So I guess I would have to vote "Native American" as your most conspicuous single "ingredient". Lol!

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:16 pm

You got a lot of answers on all those reddit posts didn't you?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:18 pm

You look adorable. I love your hair in that picture.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 1:23 pm

Black Irish/Native American.
The term "Black Irish" supposedly isn't used in Eire.
Most here are descended from Ulster Irish,so Scotch -Irish is also used as a description.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2017, 5:35 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Most here are descended from Ulster Irish,so Scotch -Irish is also used as a description.

I thought it was supposedly Spaniards that invaded Ireland around the 16th Century.
But also I heard most Irish natives have dark hair, as opposed to the stereotype of red hair and blonde.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:15 pm

I always thought that was you in your avatar, and I thought you were Arab----and, I thought it was really interesting that an Arab would be singing / liking Country music----but, in that picture you posted, you look Irish.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I thought it was supposedly Spaniards that invaded Ireland around the 16th Century.
But also I heard most Irish natives have dark hair, as opposed to the stereotype of red hair and blonde.

Was just gonna say that Ive always heard that the "black Irish" are all descended from the ship wrecked crews of the Spanish Armada in the Elizabethan 16th Century. They tried to conquer England, but Sir Francis Drake and the smaller English navy fended off the big Armada long enough to allow nature to take over and to finnish the job of pulverizing the Armada with storms as it retreated around Scotland and Ireland.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:28 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I always thought that was you in your avatar, and I thought you were Arab----and, I thought it was really interesting that an Arab would be singing / liking Country music----but, in that picture you posted, you look Irish.

No way does he look "Arab".

Actually I always thought that he looked Hispanic (in the avatar pic). But from reading his posts I inferred that he is not a recent immigrant but of a longtime resident Appalachian background. So I deduced that he must be northwest european white bread White, but with some American Indian blood (not an uncommon combination in the Appalachians).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/histo ... -237784721
I found this article informative.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

No waHispanic.e look "Arab".

Actually I always thought that he looked Hispanic (in the avatar pic). But from reading his posts I inferred that he is not a recent immigrant but of a longtime resident Appalachian background. So I deduced that he must be northwest european white bread White, but with some American Indian blood (not an uncommon combination in the Appalachians).

I found this interesting! Had no idea native American indian and European white was a common combination in Appalachian communities. Not sure which country " white bread" refers to? :)
Regarding the OP's question...to me the avatar and the posted pic look pretty different. Maybe due to lighting?
With respect to the posted picture, I would say Spanish/Irish/white European.
With respect to the avatar, I would say white European/Hispanic at first, but given the choices listed would replace Hispanic with Native American.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:25 pm

beady wrote:
I found this interesting! Had no idea native American Indian and European white was a common combination in Appalachian communities. Not sure which country " white bread" refers to? :)

Oh, my, yes----that combination is VERY common----there's several of us, right here on this website (including, myself----I'm Irish and Indian, as well, and my family's from Appalachia; my grandmother stepped right off the reservation, and right up to the altar to marry my grandfather).

LOL "White Bread" is a sort of classification, I guess one could say, of white people in America (maybe, other countries too)----I know of three: White Trash, White Bread, and Lily White (if one has to be labeled any of 'em, I think people would say it's best to be "White Bread").

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:44 am

beady wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

No waHispanic.e look "Arab".

I found this interesting! Had no idea native American indian and European white was a common combination in Appalachian communities. Not sure which country " white bread" refers to? :)
Regarding the OP's question...to me the avatar and the posted pic look pretty different. Maybe due to lighting?
With respect to the posted picture, I would say Spanish/Irish/white European.
With respect to the avatar, I would say white European/Hispanic at first, but given the choices listed would replace Hispanic with Native American.

Basically agree with every point.

The avatar pic, and the pic in the original post, are taken from different angles, and different lighting. In the OP pic he looks to me like just a generic White guy. Doesn't scream "Irish", but its not inconsistent with Irish either. But he could also be German, or even Russian.

But the first time I saw his avatar I thought "Hispanic" because in that pic he looks like a Mestizo (a common mixed Spanish and Indian ancestry person) from Mexico, or from some part of South America. But it became obvious from his posts that he cant be Hispanic. So I switched to thinking of him as "one of those good 'ole boys from the south with some Cherokee blood, like Johnny Cash, or Claude Akins".

"White bread" means folks who are...like Wonder Bread. The bland stuff that's easy to find in America. As opposed to the more exotic stuff with more flavor (Jewish rye, Italian bread, etc). Basically WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). Like myself . Just boring old American White! Lol!

Its sorta mildy derogatory, and its mostly used by the folks so labeled themselves (like moi) in a humorous self depreciating way. But its not a real exact term.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

You are definitely part Native American colourwise. I know someone who was half-Indian (the Asian kind) and he had a similar colouring to you. Otherwise, you kinda have an Anglo-Irish look to you.

I'm part Moroccan but there's nothing "exotic" about my features except my high cheekbones, I just look like my majority Anglo-Irish stock- light everything. However, my aunts have dark hair. My mother was the only one with light hair and she passed it onto all of us.

Funny how genetics works. :D

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 5:13 pm

Dark Irish must be the same as Black Welsh. Iberian settlers several centuries ago.

Think Catherine Zeta Jones, for a Welsh example.

Robert2P1CT
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 9:50 pm

It's not that important.

You look great, you have a very universal look, and could blend in virtually anywhere. Regardless of which ethnicity or race anyone identifies with, be proud of who you are and love yourself. :)

EQ = 16