Why is it considered uncultured to be proudly American?

Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

248RPA wrote:
I don't find anything wrong with being proud to be American, but:

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

Why do cheeseburgers or BBQ have to be unhealthy? what if you eat some veggies with your cheeseburger and use real cheese instead of those gross 'American cheese' slices or what about a swiss cheese and mushroom burger? And I thought BBQ was essentially anything you cook on a fire or grill....you can pretty much BBQ anything.

I guess typically people think of bbq sauce and a gas or coal grill and tons of gross condiments, with unhealthy sides and such. But why not simply throw some meat and veggies on and eat that, lol I also like going camping and just cooking with the fire and natural things around the campsites like sticks to stick through sausages to roast or flat rocks to cook other things...its nice to have a pan or pot to boil water or contain anything with lots of moisture. But lol I don't want that silly yuppie set up with the miniature gas stove top and bringing practically the contents of a whole kitchen with them...those are probably the ones who litter to cause they just 'don't know any better', or 'but the animals will eat it right?' I sometimes wish those people would get eaten by the animals.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
248RPA wrote:

rvacountrysinger wrote:
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

Why do cheeseburgers or BBQ have to be unhealthy? what if you eat some veggies with your cheeseburger and use real cheese instead of those gross 'American cheese' slices or what about a swiss cheese and mushroom burger? And I thought BBQ was essentially anything you cook on a fire or grill....you can pretty much BBQ anything.

I guess typically people think of bbq sauce and a gas or coal grill and tons of gross condiments, with unhealthy sides and such. But why not simply throw some meat and veggies on and eat that, lol I also like going camping and just cooking with the fire and natural things around the campsites like sticks to stick through sausages to roast or flat rocks to cook other things...its nice to have a pan or pot to boil water or contain anything with lots of moisture. But lol I don't want that silly yuppie set up with the miniature gas stove top and bringing practically the contents of a whole kitchen with them...those are probably the ones who litter to cause they just 'don't know any better', or 'but the animals will eat it right?' I sometimes wish those people would get eaten by the animals.

I guess in theory, you can make cheeseburgers and BBQ healthy. But the "typical" American way to make them isn't very healthy. All the BBQs I've been to have included a gas/coal grill, tons of gross condiments, and unhealthy sides. So that's why I conclude this is the typical way to BBQ, and the way you do it is an exception. Perhaps I am wrong.

Also, I don't think too many people besides vegetarians/vegan will want to eat a mushroom burger. Nobody has developed a way to make a mushroom burger that the majority of people think tastes better than a regular cheeseburger.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:21 pm

248RPA wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
248RPA wrote:

rvacountrysinger wrote:

I guess in theory, you can make cheeseburgers and BBQ healthy. But the "typical" American way to make them isn't very healthy. All the BBQs I've been to have included a gas/coal grill, tons of gross condiments, and unhealthy sides. So that's why I conclude this is the typical way to BBQ, and the way you do it is an exception. Perhaps I am wrong.

Also, I don't think too many people besides vegetarians/vegan will want to eat a mushroom burger. Nobody has developed a way to make a mushroom burger that the majority of people think tastes better than a regular cheeseburger.

Also all the freaking paper plates and plastic utensils so much freaking garbage :evil:, but no your right that is typical. Also I meant like a meat burger with sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese on it, not so sure I'd like a burger made of a mushroom so much.

autistlivesmatter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 8:38 pm

Why would you be proud to be American as an autistic person? It makes absolutely zero sense.
-The only first world country that doesn't guarantee health care to its citizens (autistic people don't exactly have a lot of earning potential to pay for their own health care).
-The first world country with among the greatest income inequality (autistic people aren't good bread winners).
-The only first world country where it's LEGAL to pay disabled people less than the minimum wage (why should autistic workers be paid below minimum wage?)
-A country where cops routinely beat up and KILL autistic people and unarmed black and brown people.
-A country where 1 in 3 black men will find themselves in prison at least once in their lives. Banned from voting for life because they committed a "felony". Even after they serve their time. Mostly for petty drug offenses. And only 97% of black men go to trial. Many plead guilty even though they are innocent because the prosecution and juries are racist towards black people.
- A country with cops routinely beat up inmates and inmates anally rape each other. The worst human rights abuses among the OECD.

How can an autistic person have such a lack of a sense of self-preservation to vote for Donald Trump and the Republicans is beyond me..

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

autistlivesmatter wrote:
Why would you be proud to be American as an autistic person? It makes absolutely zero sense.
-The only first world country that doesn't guarantee health care to its citizens (autistic people don't exactly have a lot of earning potential to pay for their own health care).
-The first world country with among the greatest income inequality (autistic people aren't good bread winners).
-The only first world country where it's LEGAL to pay disabled people less than the minimum wage (why should autistic workers be paid below minimum wage?)
-A country where cops routinely beat up and KILL autistic people and unarmed black and brown people.
-A country where 1 in 3 black men will find themselves in prison at least once in their lives. Banned from voting for life because they committed a "felony". Even after they serve their time. Mostly for petty drug offenses. And only 97% of black men go to trial. Many plead guilty even though they are innocent because the prosecution and juries are racist towards black people.
- A country with cops routinely beat up inmates and inmates anally rape each other. The worst human rights abuses among the OECD.

How can an autistic person have such a lack of a sense of self-preservation to vote for Donald Trump and the Republicans is beyond me..

Looking at your post history so far, it seems like you're only here to spread an agenda.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

I'd have to say that what he says about health care in America is true.

We should be providing, at least, free catastrophic care for all Americans. We already do for End Stage Renal Disease.

autistlivesmatter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 8:58 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
autistlivesmatter wrote:

Looking at your post history so far, it seems like you're only here to spread an agenda.
What agenda? I speak the truth... I'm tired of seeing autistic people support the alt-right. A poisonous ideology that will make life miserable for autistic people btw.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:04 pm

@autistlivesmatter - you have only been posting so far about how angry you are and being negative to society. I think people need to keep it more light.

autistlivesmatter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2017, 9:14 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
@autistlivesmatter - you have only been posting so far about how angry you are and being negative to society. I think people need to keep it more light.
Autistic people not being allowed to vent their frustrations is the reason why situations like Isla Vista, Virginia Tech, George Sodini, etc. happen in the first place. Hell even ISIS. You think all those young men who join ISIS are happy? No, they are disgruntled and miserable to go out and do something like that. Society doesn't want to talk about issues that really matter. Buries them under the rug. Then we're shocked when we see things like school shooters and ISIS emerge. Suicide is the number one preventable killer of autistic people as well. There is nothing "light" about suicide.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

autistlivesmatter wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Autistic people not being allowed to vent their frustrations is the reason why situations like Isla Vista, Virginia Tech, George Sodini, etc. happen in the first place. Hell even ISIS. You think all those young men who join ISIS are happy? No, they are disgruntled and miserable to go out and do something like that. Society doesn't want to talk about issues that really matter. Buries them under the rug. Then we're shocked when we see things like school shooters and ISIS emerge. Suicide is the number one preventable killer of autistic people as well. There is nothing "light" about suicide.

I wasn't talking about problems in general. And I'm no fan of the radical SJW. A diagnosis shouldn't define or influence who I can vote for or what ideologies I can support. I thought people with ASD were individuals. What happened?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:47 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

Let them hate on this. :twisted:

This is exactly the point I am getting at. What do you plan to do with that aircraft? What exactly does it prove?

Skippy, like most rednecks, would use this aircraft to bomb the living p!ss out of anyone and anything that p!sses him off in even the slightest matter. To him, might makes right, no matter what!

You forgot to ask the mods to lock this thread, censure all the belligerents, and permanently close your account like you usually do...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 9:52 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I thought people with ASD were individuals.

There you go again, trying to think for yourself. That kind of thing can get you in trouble, you know. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:00 pm

248RPA wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
248RPA wrote:

rvacountrysinger wrote:

I don't know of very many people that eat burgers and/or BBQ for all three meals or even on a daily basis.
Moderation in all things.

Anne_Fetamine
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from as long as you don't have a closed mind about other cultures or think yours is superior. A lot of Americans act as if we're the only country in the world, or that the world revolves around us. I think that's where some of the backlash comes from.

As for cuisine, it seems you either like certain foods or you don't. Nothing to do with pride. There are plenty of American (hamburgers, hot dogs, cherry pie) and ethnic (Indian food, most Chinese food) items I won't touch. Not because I'm uncultured or a snob, but because of my sensory issues and food preferences.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 12:39 am

autistlivesmatter wrote:

Well for me it is not about autism, its just there is so much B.S I cannot really say I am entirely proud to be american, plus I didn't choose it I was born here. My historical dead relatives moved here from Belgium after moving there from Scandinavia.

And lots of people you wouldn't think would vote for trump...your grandparents maybe. Uhh my grandma voted for him and I know she is a little ignorant but what the f**ck, my dad voted for him...Trump isn't going to do anything to help out someone like my dad...he's been homeless and living on scraps for a few years now, so yeah trust me I don't get it either.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 12:50 am

Cynicism and irony are in, earnestness is out, which is why flying an American flag is about as cool as displaying a large crucifix in your home.