Should I tell my new psychologist of my ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2017, 6:07 pm

Hi everyone! I've been diagnosed as a child both with AS and ADHD, but my parents never told me until this very year. I'm now about to start seeing a new therapist (my goals are to work on my struggles with self-esteem, becoming independent and making friends), and I was wondering whether I should tell her of my ASD. I have no "official" diagnosis (I was unofficially diagnosed by my first psychologist) and I have grown up believing I was a very weird NT. I still meet the criteria for diagnosis, but barely, and most of my social problems are due to bullying-related insecurity, my inability to pay attention during long conversations with more than one person and my problems with face recognition, instead of core ASD traits (though I'll have to admit that I have a limited interest in social interaction, too).

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 6:15 pm

Sure. Just tell her what you just told us:that a previous shrink unofficially diagnosed with an ASD (though you havent yet gotten the thorough official test). Why wouldnt you tell her?

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2017, 7:13 pm

Depends on the psychologist. If ever she believes in psychoanalysis or some other kind of outdated pseudoscience, if I were you, I wouldn't tell her, because in that case she surely believes that autism is a form of psychosis due to neglect from your mother.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sure. Just tell her what you just told us:that a previous shrink unofficially diagnosed with an ASD (though you havent yet gotten the thorough official test). Why wouldnt you tell her?

Well, I don't know, but I feel a bit insecure about this. My parents kept my diagnosis from me until I made them tell me (I actually asked my mother whether I had ever been diagnosed with anything) and even then, they were reluctant (she told me I had a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, because she knew I didn't know that term, while I was far more familiar with words like "autism" and "Aspergers"). I had to google it and find out on my own, which makes me feel as though I am making this all up, or as if I don't even have the right to know my diagnosis, let alone talk about it with a psychologist.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 2:23 pm

You have a right to know. And the shrink has a right to know (and prolly has access to your medical record anyway).

The whole point of psychotherapy is for you to kick back, and just talk freely, and honestly, about your life to the therapist.

Its not like a job interview, or college entrance application, in which you have to not mention certain things.

The very fact that you ask shows that this diagnosis (both the diagnosis itself, and the fact that it was kept as a secret from you by your parents) weighs on you emotionally. And stuff that weighs on you emotionally is the very stuff you are supposed to talk to a therapist about.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2017, 6:07 pm

Thank you for your answer! I really needed someone to tell me I have a right to know it.

I guess you're right: this is indeed affecting me emotionally, and I will get nothing from keeping it from my therapist. I think I'll heed your advice and just hope that telling her isn't so awkward as it seems in my mind.