Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 5:41 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
If a legal firm can hire a candidate who has competed...

Whoa! Who says he has competed?! If you truly want to discuss this stuff, begin at some basic truths/facts and move forward rather than using tainted rhetoric to try to make mere perceptions or beliefs into inarguable truth.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 7:53 am

leejosepho wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
If a legal firm can hire a candidate who has competed...

Whoa! Who says he has competed?! If you truly want to discuss this stuff, begin at some basic truths/facts and move forward rather than using tainted rhetoric to try to make mere perceptions or beliefs into inarguable truth.

All students know that passing at the top of the class in gaining their degree enhances the job potential.

I asked a question in my last post and if you do not answer it, we are done.

If a legal firm can hire a candidate who has competed to be top in his class, or one that graduated at the bottom of the class, --- for the same price, --- you think that the guy from the bottom of the class might actually get that job. Right?

Regards
DL

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 11:11 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
All students know that passing at the top of the class in gaining their degree enhances the job potential.

That does not prove anyone competed, and your question remains unworthy of response because it is loaded to push your personal agenda I have yet to understand. Has life been so difficult for you that you are convinced it is an inescapable dog-eat-dog competition or are you trying to say our Maker set us up so we had no option but to do evil...or what?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 1:53 pm

leejosepho wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

That does not prove anyone competed, and your question remains unworthy of response because it is loaded to push your personal agenda I have yet to understand. Has life been so difficult for you that you are convinced it is an inescapable dog-eat-dog competition or are you trying to say our Maker set us up so we had no option but to do evil...or what?

If any could go through life without doing evil as described in the O.P., we would have some examples of it.
Since we do not, we obviously have to do evil to the losers of our competition.

My creator is nature but if yours is a God then it would be unjust for punishing you for doing evil.

I have spoken to may who play the free will card on this.

Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite "free will!", or “ it’s all man’s fault”.

That is "God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy."

But this simply avoids God's culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose "A" or "B" (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of "being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent" and "desiring to eat a forbidden fruit" must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and "free will" means nothing as a response to this problem.

If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin. That being the case, for God to punish us for following the instincts and natures he put in us would be quite wrong.

Psalm 51:5 "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

When conceived and born, we are controlled and governed by our instincts and those instincts, while defaulting to cooperation when we are weak, must be ignored when we get stronger and the need to compete rears it's head.

And yes, the question you ran from was loaded for my position. Would you expect I would argue against myself or do your thinking for you?

Load a question for me and see that I do not fear honest debate the way you seem to.

Regards
DL

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 2:15 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
If any could go through life without doing evil as described in the O.P., we would have some examples of it.

Possibly, but that is not the question of this thread! The question of this thread is whether it is *necessary* to do evil in order to survive...and at least in my own case, that led more toward my demise.

GnosticBishop wrote:
And yes, the question you ran from...

You are a hoot! I never ran from anything here!

GnosticBishop wrote:
...the question...was loaded for my position. Would you expect I would argue against myself or do your thinking for you?

Your loaded question would indicate you propose to do the thinking for the ill-informed, vulnerable or gullible, and yes, arguing against oneself can be quite helpful at times.

GnosticBishop wrote:
I do not fear honest debate the way you seem to.

You claim your loading is honest?! Once again: What a hoot!

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 2:24 pm

Thanks for this. Goodbye.

Regards
DL

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2017, 8:49 am

I was reading the back and forth and I have to bring a different perspective as you seemed to fail to actually connect in your debate. The human being is an animal. All animals compete to survive, even social animals that cooperate within a group must compete against outside groups. Ant colonies fight wars against one another and can wipe each other out in the process.
In the realm of human interaction, competition rewards not only aggressiveness, but also forward thinking, internal cooperation, and innovation. The end result is progress, progress has not come from competition or cooperation alone, but from competition and cooperation together. True cooperation alone has never been achieved on a large scale in a sustainable fashion. The closest examples of that are fascism and communism (theoretical state ownership of everything versus complete lack of resource ownership, both with the core concept of "to each of their need, from each of their ability") while both adhered to a program of social engineering (social engineering uses the concept of eugenics, a state instituted genetic competition which controls who can reproduce, to control populations and guide a population towards a perceived perfection) and created their own inequalities and extreme suffering in their own societies and led to intense competition (WWII, Cold War) on a global scale.
In the technologically advanced first world, almost all business is based on a regulated capitalist system, which is the embodiment of economic competition. As an individual a person must cooperate and compete within their own group while that group cooperates and competes with other groups within the organization which in turn will cooperate with other organizations to further the needs of the industry while competing with them for a share of the market.
Yes, there are also non-rival goods and services provided by government and charitable organizations. Governments are usually divided into factions as they compete for the limited resources of tax revenue. Charitable organizations compete through marketing and awareness campaigns to be seen as worthy causes in the eyes of potential donors.
In short, life is a yin and yang of cooperation and competition. Whenever the balance shifts more toward one over the other there is stagnation or strife.

As for doing evil being a necessity of life, no it is not because competition itself is not evil. (Stealing is evil, lying is evil, needless killing is evil. Anything that is not reasoned and is destructive based purely on emotion/passion is evil. Wanton prejudice is evil, bigotry is evil, hatred is evil. Doing evil is not a necessity, but it is almost unavoidable according to various religions. Unfortunately, for those who do not adhere to a religion, evil can be subjective or nonexistent. I think the question needs to be better clarified for the sake of precision.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:54 am

JoeNavy wrote:

As for doing evil being a necessity of life, no it is not because competition itself is not evil. (Stealing is evil, lying is evil, needless killing is evil. Anything that is not reasoned and is destructive based purely on emotion/passion is evil. Wanton prejudice is evil, bigotry is evil, hatred is evil. Doing evil is not a necessity, but it is almost unavoidable according to various religions. Unfortunately, for those who do not adhere to a religion, evil can be subjective or nonexistent. I think the question needs to be better clarified for the sake of precision.

Sniped for brevity. Thanks for the well articulated and accurate post.

I see doing evil, as necessary and so did the early church given that hymn, and the fact that we all compete and create victims to that competition. You said that social engineering uses the concept of eugenics but do not see any societies using it via legislation. I do see the eugenics going on within society as a whole as natural and a help for evolution to weed out the least fit.

The losers will see their loss of resources as evil, but I agree that that evil that the winners visit onto the losers is not a sin. Without the competition, the weak would inherit the earth at the price of the fittest.

Regards
DL

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:55 am

JoeNavy wrote:
...you seemed to fail to actually connect in your debate. The human being is an animal. All animals compete to survive, even social animals that cooperate within a group must compete against outside groups. Ant colonies fight wars against one another and can wipe each other out in the process.

It is fact that some human beings do live that way, but there is no proof showing they are are actually *required* to do so in order to survive.

JoeNavy wrote:
As for doing evil being a necessity of life, no it is not because competition itself is not evil...
I think the question needs to be better clarified for the sake of precision.

Yes, definitely, and also keep in mind that the question was presented as a positional argument related to something else and not as a matter for debate.