Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

svaughan
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2017, 9:26 am

Were any of you guys scared of the fire alarm when young? I was, I didn't understand it and it always sounded so sinister.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:31 am

It's scary because it's so loud, so pulsating, and the tone is high.

I was also scared of subway trains, which have a loud, nonpulsating, low tone.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2017, 9:36 am

Yeah I think that's what it was for me. The sounds of some drills etc. still go right through me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 10:28 am

I don't like the sudden noise of fire alarms. I do wish alarms made a slightly less loud noise first for about 2-3 seconds before the loud part sounds, just to avoid shock of the sudden loud noise. It's too SUDDEN, and I have a fear of sudden loud noise. :(

When I was little I used to cry every time the fire alarm went, but not because of the loudness of the noise. It was just because I thought there was a real fire each time, and it just made me anxious. To this day fires terrify me. I would worry about people left in the building to burn, but I would also worry about all the objects in there too.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2017, 10:31 am

The fire alarm is irritating. I also hated the sound of fireworks. Presently, I can't freakin' stand the sound of the iPhone emergency alert. I'm actually scared of it.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

svaughan
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

Joe, it was the same for me, I was scared there was an actual fire. I think it's the tendency of neurodiverse people, such as ourselves to be internally focused instead of externally, hence we didn't understand what was going on in our environment when young.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:37 am

My dad said when he was little, a fire station next to the school would do monthly air raid siren tests, which was very scary sounding.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 6:59 am

yeah I can imagine. It's weird because certain loud noises still irritate/make me jump or whatever but I really like fast/loud music, it's almost relaxing for me.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2017, 7:24 am

I was petrified of it, particularly in elementary school, because it would almost instantly bring me to the edge of having a panic attack. For years I thought I was scared of fire. Eventually, I realized I was just scared of the fire alarm, how loud and sudden it was. I still have issues with them to this day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:04 pm

I also don't like fire alarms. They're very unpredictable. I like to be out when the fire alarms in my apartment building are being tested for that very reason.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2017, 2:13 am

I didn't like the fire alarm when I was in elementary school, so fire or earthquake drills which ended with the fire alarm weren't fun. I grew up in California which is earthquake country, so we had those types of drills. Someone else mentioned air raid sirens, and I'm actually old enough to remember that as well, since there were tests as late as the early 80's. That was when we lived near the sheriff's station, which had one of those sirens on a big tower behind the station, and when it was being tested, it scared the crap out of me.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:26 am

Yep! In schoo teachers would tell me to uncover my ears when the fire alarm went off for some f*****g reason. That THX Sound that played before movies always caused a meltdown, that and airplanes.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 3:22 am

Not fire alarms specifically, but some sounds do provoke strong emotions in me. I had a person living above me who sometimes left his cell phone on the floor. It buzzed and buzzed until I banged on the ceiling. The sound filled me with dread. I don't know why.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2017, 5:36 am

I also used to hate the sound of loads of people talking. It's almost like my brain is trying to ping pong and focus on everything.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 10:54 am

I did have one morning at work when the fire alarm kept going off repeatedly. That about drove me nuts. It took an hour or so of going off every ten minutes to reach that point.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 7:31 am

Does anyone find the sound in staffrooms or offices when everyone is speaking too much to handle, especially when tired? It's like as if the sounds are moving too fast and you feel yourself withdrawing inside.