Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

svaughan
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 10:15 am

Very interesting. I have also heard that some individuals seem to recover from Autism and show more of an ADHD profile. This article supports this:

https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/questi ... l-outcome/

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

svaughan wrote:
Very interesting. I have also heard that some individuals seem to recover from Autism and show more of an ADHD profile. This article supports this:

I have no idea what ABA is but from the negative comments about it here I belive it to be some sort of torture masquerading as treatment , that article suggests that the 'optimal outcome' is achieved by ABA.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

mauloch_baal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 3:43 pm

I wonder if those of you who have ADHD if you also get a calming effect from Adderall or other stimulant drugs not including otc stuff or caffiene.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
Everyone stims, just as everyone coughs.

But if you have tuberculosis, it's why you're coughing that's the issue.

Stimming doesn't mean autism. Unless the person is stimming because of autism.

I don't usually see people talk to themselves or jump out of their seat due to vivid and exciting thoughts. I often have to jump out of my seat just pace around.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

svaughan wrote:
I thought that just covered Aspergers? I think they should have a general neurodiverse category and then perhaps sub-categories ADHD traits, Aspergers traits, OCD etc.

Apparently, Minimal Brain Dysfunction covered a whole bunch of things in the 1970s:
Quote:
...abnormality resulting from trauma, infection, hypoxia, or other central nervous system (CNS) disease.1 At least 100 clinical manifestations are listed under MBD, including dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, visual perception problems, dysarthria, hyperactivity, poor attention span, temper tantrums, aggression, clumsiness, and vague spells. By definition, the children have to be of normal intelligence...
...The current problem with the MBD syndrome is that it has become an all-encompassing, wastebasket diagnosis for any child who does not quite conform...

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/506235

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2017, 5:51 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
svaughan wrote:

I have no idea what ABA is but from the negative comments about it here I belive it to be some sort of torture masquerading as treatment , that article suggests that the 'optimal outcome' is achieved by ABA.

It's applied behavioral analysis that allows autistic children to lead more functional lives. It isn't torture. It's better than having to face a lifetime of painful trial-and-error.

The "just let us be ourselves" crowd doesn't realize you can't survive independently if you're too impaired or socially inept to walk to the grocery store and buy food for yourself.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)