Is it really possible to 'loose' a diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2017, 6:52 pm

This has been asked before but not in my specific situation I think, so let me elaborate.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's DSM-IV as a toddler, with significiant social delays, as well as a lisp (Not delay in speech, a lisp), and what I was told was connected to the AS in a eating disorder where my brain doesn't really tolerate certain kinds of food. I try to eat certain meats for instance and immediately feel like throwing it up. But I can eat a mcdonalds cheeseburger for instance and be fine, it's entirely dependant on the texture I believe.

But, other than the lisp (which isn't nearly as bad as it used to be - Occasionally I will need to read phonetics on the radio if they don't catch it, i.e, Echo Alpha Romeo for 'ear' because I may sound like 'earw' in a lower quality setting, i.e, a radio, but up close people generally have no issues understanding me even if a lot of people catch I have a lisp.

Other than the lisp and eating issue, though, I don't display any real symptoms anymore. I don't stim in public, I can maintain conversation, eye contact, and keep up conversation as well as maintain a near nonexistent personal space due to my job. I work on a ambulance and never suffer sensory overload, can keep people engaged, and can handle stressful situations. I have friends, laugh, joke, can catch non-verbal cues, I am much more hand-eyes coordinated than I was as a kid, and generally may come off as a slightly awkward guy but no one suspects I have AS or anything among those lines. I haven't been on any medications relating to anxiety, depression, or any AS complications since maybe 2007 or 2008.

So I suppose my question is, at what point does one 'put on the mask' of being normal enough to the point that it would loose the diagnosis? I know if it was undiagnosed and I got it checked today, I wouldn't be diagnosed with HFA for example, but if you stop showing major symptoms do you loose the diagnosis at any point?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:02 pm

You can not "lose" the diagnosis if you do not visit a clinician and then that clinician decides that you do not meet the diagnostic criteria for Autism anymore. It does not happen very often.

ROAD TO "RECOVERY": WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO LOSE AN AUTISM DIAGNOSIS?.

Quote:
Psychologist Deborah Fein PhD has probably done more to document this phenomenon than anyone. She first noticed that some of the children she was following no longer met the criteria for autism. "I was definitely very surprised," she recalled. Like most clinicians, she believed autism was a lifelong condition. For her research, she sought out other children who also left their autism diagnosis behind.
She and her co-researchers meticulously documented the diagnoses of 34 children with autism, and their loss of those diagnoses and autistic symptoms. They tested their communication, reading comprehension, academics, language, and social abilities, even their ability to recognize faces. They compared them to two other groups, 44 people with "high-functioning autism," and 34 people who developed typically, called controls. High-functioning autism usually refers to autism with average or "normal" intelligence.
Were people in the lost-diagnosis group really free of autism, or were they "pretending to be normal," to borrow the words of one author with autism?
By all measures, this group seemed to be functioning no differently than people who never had autism. They even did well with daily living skills. Daily living skills can befuddle people with autism who have average and above average intelligence, according to research on teens in the Simons Simplex Collection project. The lost-diagnosis group also did not differ from controls on measures of repetitive and ritualistic behavior, a symptom of autism.

Research suggests that people who lost their autism diagnosis often:
Were diagnosed younger, such as before 31 months of age,
Had better cognitive abilities,10 and milder symptoms, particularly in the social arena, as young children
Had a larger reduction in repetitive behaviors (such as hand-flapping or finger-flicking) between ages 2 and 3,
Underwent earlier, and more intensive autism intervention especially therapies based on Applied Behavior Analysis.

Ms. Bascom says ASAN hears from adults who may not meet criteria for a current autism diagnosis but who "have clinical depression, social skills issues, and sensory integration problems. That doesn't sound like a recovery," she said.
Dr. Fein and her fellow researchers did not find more depression in the optimal outcome group, but they did report more ADHD and phobias than in the control group.
In an interview, Dr. Fein said losing one's diagnosis and autistic symptoms is only "one kind of optimal outcome," but there are many kinds. She points to Temple Grandin PhD, the animal scientist with autism. "She writes and speaks about autism, and has made many contributions in her [scientific] work, and she's still autistic. Having a good life while still having autism is a form of optimal outcome. It just doesn't happen to be what we're studying."

I do not know what I do not know but I am generally skeptical of the idea that an Autistic can become neurotypical. The study mentioned was only a few dozen people. The criteria for undiagnosing and diagnosing Autism is based a lot on observed and reported behaviors. That does not tell you what is going on inside a person. These studies have not been around long enough to track people for life. If today's diagnostic criteria were around for my whole life I probably would have been diagnosed as a kid and undiagnosed in my 20's. IRL I was diagnosed at age 55. Did I become NT, then become Autistic again or have I always been autistic but circumstances changed? I think the latter.

There are always exceptions to the rule and you can never say never. There are millions of autistics in the world so I can not rule out that a few autistics become not autistic but I think in general this idea is going to lead to a lot of false hope.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
You can not "lose" the diagnosis

Gah! You beat me to it!

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)