Advice for Moving Out/Living Independently

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 8:01 pm

Because I can no longer live with my parents after this year (manipulative and psychologically damaging), I am going to have to move out, study in another city, and live independently. I will be an adult at this stage.

I am anxious about working and living by myself, as I am quite immature in some ways, and have never been able to find a job (despite trying - nobody would employ me, as I am not confident/seem strange etc.). I know it's maybe not a good idea to live independently (at least at this stage), but I have no other option.

Essentially, I was wanting any advice about moving out/living independently that anyone could give.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

Hi, I kinda have the same problems too (which is unimpressive) & I don't know if this will help or not but I recommend doing research & maybe you'll get somewhere.

Here's a link to a website you could try reading, I'm sorry if this comment wasn't helpful.

Link: https://www.autism.com/grandin_independence

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 10:14 pm

GraysonTerry19 wrote:
Hi, I kinda have the same problems too (which is unimpressive) & I don't know if this will help or not but I recommend doing research & maybe you'll get somewhere.

Here's a link to a website you could try reading, I'm sorry if this comment wasn't helpful.

Thank you. :D

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2017, 12:44 am

FandomConnection wrote:
GraysonTerry19 wrote:

Thank you. :D

You're welcome. Good luck.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

Get a rice-cooker and a crockpot. Combined they are the single most effort-free way to make large amounts of food quickly, cheaply and with minimal dishes produced.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:38 am

Hello! Im 20 and im autistic (level 1) and im currently living alone.

Although i am not 100% independent
1. I dont pay rent. I live on a first nations reserve and i live in my grandfathers attic where he doesnt charge me rent, however i have my own bed, plumbing, electricity, ect, the reserve even pays for my electricity
2. My dad still needs to come over and cook for me once a day, if he doesnt i will starve.
3. I am unemployed and living on welfare. I used to have a job but found the stress too much and my preformance suffered. However i do buy my own groceries

How are your executive functioning skills? Can you keep down a job and afford rent, electricitiy and food? Are you prepared to have all the responsibilities of upkeeping a apartment on your own? What kind of daily support do you need and how will you get it once you live independtly? Have you considered living in a group home?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2017, 2:54 am

I have the same problem. I want to live independently but I'm unconfident and my behaviors seem childish a bit. I am an adult but I still struggle sometimes when I do something without my parents help.

I wish you good luck.