Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2017, 9:25 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
HelloWorld, I do not think taking away the things that make her secure and happy is a good idea at all.

Where did I say they should take away things that make her secure and happy? Please paraphrase:) I never said taking away the old things, I only said giving her new additional things that she may ask (better phones, better laptops, new books, more video games) if she does something to earn them. It could be as simple as spending 10min more with family initially. The theory is that she will get bored of her old things eventually.
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
She may mature and develop and be able to fathom being independent, but that is clearly not where she is now. I don't know how old she is emotionally, but IMO that is a terribly cruel thing to do, and of no use if she is not developmentally ready. You cannot bully someone into being more mature. It sounds like she is a delight to be around and is happy, does not meltdown etc. What you are proscribing could cause incredible amounts of damage to her. Autism is a developmental condition. Would you expect a child chronologically much younger to be independent and take her things away if she was too scared to try?

Is it considered bullying a child if you make the child take out the trash before getting their ice cream? I mean obviously the OP needs to adjust the task to a level that is suitable to her step daughter, but it is not bullying, it is called responsible parenting. And where did I suggest the OP to take things away? Again please paraphrase:)
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
There does not seem any reason to rush independence. Her father is presumably healthy, and he is marrying someone who seems concerned and not likely to dump her if anything happens to him. Why not get her buy in and work with her gradually over time rather than assuming she is lazy?

I am not assuming she is lazy, but I would judge the parents if they don't try to build up her skill set gradually and leave her to a unknown fate which is possibly consisted of suffering and confusion after her parents eventually get old and pass away. Her social and independence skills can not improve on their own without other people' help. Yes her parents are healthy now, but should you wait till her parents are unhealthy to start building her up? That would be a bit too rushy don't you think so?
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
Autistics learn and grow at their own pace. She may be ready with 5 years, or 10, or maybe never, and of course they should make a plan for when they die if the answer is never. But taking her things away is not going to make her develop faster, if she does not have the confidence and the foundation skills. She needs to try baby steps where she can develop confidence and that confidence will be her motivation.

Again where did I suggest taking away her things? And yes obviously use baby steps, and use things that she want as rewards for taking those steps. Yes she may never be ready, but the parents should still try to help her become ready. Taking initiative to help her build up her skill set might eventually help her to be ready enough for a bit more independence, but admittedly it is also possible that it won't work out and she just won't ever be ready as well. We can only do what we can and hope for the best. BUT doing nothing certainly is not gonna change anything.

Please fellow forum members, please don't think you are below everyone else in your potential to live a healthy, happy life and should just be stuck in your room just because of your disability, please have some pride in yourselves. Change is possible with hard work. I had social anxiety and panic attacks in high school because of sexual bullying in middle school, and gradually through baby steps I overcame it. When I dealt with social anxiety, I never felt I was ready to talk to anyone, but I made myself speak to people more and more anyway despite totally hating it. By the time I feel I am ready to talk to almost anyone, I have already taught myself lots of social skills to support that confidence. You don't feel ready before taking a change, you realize you are capable and ready after you have made the change...

Yes, you are correct in that you mentioned upgrades, but if the upgrades are important to her and she is used to getting them and it appears punitive, it amounts to the same thing.

In addition new rules that appear punitive is going to make the girl blame the stepmom because who do you think she will blame? That is not the way to a trusting relationship.

It is great that you motivated yourself (which I mean sincerely) but in order to do that you did have to have some minimum level of confidence even if you felt afraid. I don't think making things she currently takes for granted (like the ice cream in your example, which presumably would have been offered unconditionally) into something she all of a sudden has to earn is going to help that. If the only thing holding her back is the desire for a treat, that implies not very positive things, and the girl is likely to pick up on that.

I agree the daughter might be mad initially but I disagree just making the daughter happy on the surface is good for her long term health and happiness. It is similar to dog training. If dog owner gives everything to the dog without asking any behaviour before, the trainer will ask the owner to make the dog perform something before giving it reward in the future to help the dog in the LONG TERM. And as I have said in the initial post, the person/dog might be initially angry and rebellious (which can be largely avoided by taking baby steps), but will eventually comply because they want the reward.

What you are suggesting is like to keep spoiling the child just because when you stop spoiling the child, the child is gonna throw dramas. I mean I would expect a normal 8 year old to start working for their rewards. So unless the daughter's cognitive ability or emotionally ability is below a 8 year old, this method is logically doable. And if her daughter CAN'T spend 5 more minute talking with family for a new book/game/etc. to start off the program, then OP might want to consider getting psychiatric evaluation for the daughter so that she can at least get serious disability money...

But obviously unless OP has husband completely working with her and supporting each other, don't do this. This is not primarily OP's responsibility and please "put the mask on yourself first before putting it on your children" as it is said in airplane emergency instructions. Your happiness comes first because the healthier and happier you are, the more strength you have to look after others. Good luck!

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

Also for references, I have spent all my time in my room on my computer when I was in middle/high school after school finishes because of depression + anxiety. And I hope that is what someone has done to help me! I have wasted so much time, I terribly regret not learning a musical instrument or a sport with that time.

My step father was physically and emotionally abusive, my mother was not around, but thankfully my little step sister helped me come out of my shell with her constant nudging for attention. It was annoying at that time, but I really appreciate it now looking back. My step sister annoyed the hell out of me at that time, yet now I welcome her to visit and live with me for her upcoming summer break. I am gonna take her and my dog hiking!

All in all it all comes to OP's husband. Does he really think her daughter is only capable of surviving and staying in her room at this stage of her life given her inborn abilities? Does he think his daughter is actually capable of achieving much more if given the right support? And is he willing to be patient and supportive to guide her to her potential if he has answered No and Yes respectively to the previous two questions? If he thinks his daughter is only capable of doing what she is doing now, then obviously OP needs to stay out of the way.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:05 pm

RandR1 wrote:
My fiance has a 22 year old Aspie daughter who graduated high school but has basically been in her room ever since. No therapy, no programs- nothing. He is waiting until she becomes "motivated" but has accepted that she will probably live with him forever and continue in the same manner. She refuses to see a therapist or a doctor or to get involved in ANYTHING. She emerges basically only to eat, give a hug to dad or sit for a while with younger sister and dad to watch TV but then retreats to her room once again. What, if anything, can or should be done? SHe takes care of her basic needs, but needs reminding to shower or change her clothes. She stays awake all night on computer. She can use microwave but cannot make a phone call (to order pizza or make an appt, etc), cannot pay for things at a store, cannot shop without assistance and it seems the longer she stays home bound, the worse off she gets. ANy advice?

I doubt she actually needs reminding to shower and change her clothes. She likely simply chooses not to until bothered about it.

I think it's important to find out what she's doing on the computer. It might be something beneficial to her. For example, she might be reading informative things, or honing her social skills by chatting, or teaching herself how to code. I spent a lot of time on the computer doing all of these things when I was slightly younger than her. The only regret I have is that I didn't get enough exercise. I think if someone had prevented me from my computer time, it would have done a disservice to me, as I learned many valuable things.

That being said, people with AS are usually capable of becoming productive members of society, given the right supports, so he should set some expectations for her. For example, that she take some college courses, or get a part time job.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:21 pm

Asperger Experts is an organization founded by two adult Aspies and they deal with cases like this all the time. Even if you don't pay for their programs, they offer resources like livestreams for free. They also have a good Facebook page.

I don't think it's just an autism thing. My 15 year old allistic brother is the same way. At a certain point a kick in the rear (figuratively) is sometimes what is needed. As others have said, maybe find out what she's doing on the computer and find a way to motivate her through that. My brother likes video games and often makes redstone machinery in Minecraft, so I pointed him to some places online with information about careers in the gaming industry. He's interested so far.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 5:23 am

HelloWorld314 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
HelloWorld, I do not think taking away the things that make her secure and happy is a good idea at all.

Where did I say they should take away things that make her secure and happy? Please paraphrase:) I never said taking away the old things, I only said giving her new additional things that she may ask (better phones, better laptops, new books, more video games) if she does something to earn them. It could be as simple as spending 10min more with family initially. The theory is that she will get bored of her old things eventually.
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
She may mature and develop and be able to fathom being independent, but that is clearly not where she is now. I don't know how old she is emotionally, but IMO that is a terribly cruel thing to do, and of no use if she is not developmentally ready. You cannot bully someone into being more mature. It sounds like she is a delight to be around and is happy, does not meltdown etc. What you are proscribing could cause incredible amounts of damage to her. Autism is a developmental condition. Would you expect a child chronologically much younger to be independent and take her things away if she was too scared to try?

Is it considered bullying a child if you make the child take out the trash before getting their ice cream? I mean obviously the OP needs to adjust the task to a level that is suitable to her step daughter, but it is not bullying, it is called responsible parenting. And where did I suggest the OP to take things away? Again please paraphrase:)
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
There does not seem any reason to rush independence. Her father is presumably healthy, and he is marrying someone who seems concerned and not likely to dump her if anything happens to him. Why not get her buy in and work with her gradually over time rather than assuming she is lazy?

I am not assuming she is lazy, but I would judge the parents if they don't try to build up her skill set gradually and leave her to a unknown fate which is possibly consisted of suffering and confusion after her parents eventually get old and pass away. Her social and independence skills can not improve on their own without other people' help. Yes her parents are healthy now, but should you wait till her parents are unhealthy to start building her up? That would be a bit too rushy don't you think so?
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
Autistics learn and grow at their own pace. She may be ready with 5 years, or 10, or maybe never, and of course they should make a plan for when they die if the answer is never. But taking her things away is not going to make her develop faster, if she does not have the confidence and the foundation skills. She needs to try baby steps where she can develop confidence and that confidence will be her motivation.

Again where did I suggest taking away her things? And yes obviously use baby steps, and use things that she want as rewards for taking those steps. Yes she may never be ready, but the parents should still try to help her become ready. Taking initiative to help her build up her skill set might eventually help her to be ready enough for a bit more independence, but admittedly it is also possible that it won't work out and she just won't ever be ready as well. We can only do what we can and hope for the best. BUT doing nothing certainly is not gonna change anything.

Please fellow forum members, please don't think you are below everyone else in your potential to live a healthy, happy life and should just be stuck in your room just because of your disability, please have some pride in yourselves. Change is possible with hard work. I had social anxiety and panic attacks in high school because of sexual bullying in middle school, and gradually through baby steps I overcame it. When I dealt with social anxiety, I never felt I was ready to talk to anyone, but I made myself speak to people more and more anyway despite totally hating it. By the time I feel I am ready to talk to almost anyone, I have already taught myself lots of social skills to support that confidence. You don't feel ready before taking a change, you realize you are capable and ready after you have made the change...

Yes, you are correct in that you mentioned upgrades, but if the upgrades are important to her and she is used to getting them and it appears punitive, it amounts to the same thing.

In addition new rules that appear punitive is going to make the girl blame the stepmom because who do you think she will blame? That is not the way to a trusting relationship.

It is great that you motivated yourself (which I mean sincerely) but in order to do that you did have to have some minimum level of confidence even if you felt afraid. I don't think making things she currently takes for granted (like the ice cream in your example, which presumably would have been offered unconditionally) into something she all of a sudden has to earn is going to help that. If the only thing holding her back is the desire for a treat, that implies not very positive things, and the girl is likely to pick up on that.

I agree the daughter might be mad initially but I disagree just making the daughter happy on the surface is good for her long term health and happiness. It is similar to dog training. If dog owner gives everything to the dog without asking any behaviour before, the trainer will ask the owner to make the dog perform something before giving it reward in the future to help the dog in the LONG TERM. And as I have said in the initial post, the person/dog might be initially angry and rebellious (which can be largely avoided by taking baby steps), but will eventually comply because they want the reward.

What you are suggesting is like to keep spoiling the child just because when you stop spoiling the child, the child is gonna throw dramas. I mean I would expect a normal 8 year old to start working for their rewards. So unless the daughter's cognitive ability or emotionally ability is below a 8 year old, this method is logically doable. And if her daughter CAN'T spend 5 more minute talking with family for a new book/game/etc. to start off the program, then OP might want to consider getting psychiatric evaluation for the daughter so that she can at least get serious disability money...

But obviously unless OP has husband completely working with her and supporting each other, don't do this. This is not primarily OP's responsibility and please "put the mask on yourself first before putting it on your children" as it is said in airplane emergency instructions. Your happiness comes first because the healthier and happier you are, the more strength you have to look after others. Good luck!

It really depends on the child. Many autistic children do not respond to rewards and punishments the same way (or at all). For me, the best way is to think of it is the practical way, not the dog training way, because I am not raising a dog, I am raising a child. The other thing is frankly there is a trade-off between pushing your kid too hard to gain functionality too fast and in the wrong way and happiness. I am not saying that her being in her room, on the computer all day is the path to happiness, (and yes, if he has not been working on adaptive skills at all, that is no good) but on the other end, pushing too hard is a problem, and I think just as many parents err on that side of it, as they do on the other side of just letting them do whatever they think they want. Switching doing nothing to making her do too much, with a punitive approach, with not enough guidance, while also getting a new step mom, would be the worst thing.

If it were me I would focus on the positives vs. these other approaches because I think it works on a wider range of children. No one said not to teach her skills, just that rewarding her like a puppy may not be the most effective way.

Back to the OP, if she lived in a single room in a dorm she would be responsible for her own self-care (which she seems to do, with reminders) and cleaning up after her self. So to me, the easiest, and most productive thing to teach would be extensions of what she can already do. She can work the microwave so that (to me) implies that operating a washer and dryer, a dishwasher and a vacuum, might be the logical way to go.

Cleaning should start with her room both to make it manageable and because if she is independent she will be cleaning for herself, primarily. In addition, it has the added bonus of the fact that if she can maintain her own room by cleaning, vacuuming and shuttling laundry in and out, she won't have other people in her room, which she may find annoying. So this is a natural benefit.

She should work on doing her own laundry because, again, there is no practical reason to make her learn how to do other people's laundry and doing family laundry is way more complicated. If she can learn to sort, launder, dry, and put away her own clothes, that would be great. She does not need to figure out whose socks and underpants are whose. And again there is a natural benefit to this. It means people won't be in her room retrieving and putting away clothes or looking through her underwear. Natural benefit.

She also needs to start interracting with store clerks and restaurant staff, so she can learn to shop for herself, and I would work on small outings that are also a treat for her.

Now all of these things, will take a lot of time, and she is not going to be able to do them all at once or even close. Pick the easiest thing. A;ways go for the lowest hanging fruit, so she can succeed and get instant confidence.

It needs to be laid out step-by-step. Things you think are implied or obvious may not be. With cleaning her own room, she may have no idea how to start, and have to be given a visually appealing list to follow. Also, IMO, I think the father should work on her with this because she has a longer-term connection to him (obviously) and because she is likely to be motivated by him.

With the dishwasher, I would not make her go through everything all at once. If she can put her own plates and utensils and glasses, check to see if it is full, and run it if it is, that would be great to start. Putting things away should be a later iteration because it is more confusing.

RandR1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 5:52 am

These have been interesting to read, thanks for your responses. The daughter is not interested in money at all- not interested in shopping or buying anything, so earning money in anyway is not even in her thought processes. Her dad feels that since she is an "adult" (and he takes a couple hundred from her SSI for "rent"), she is entitled to live as she pleases. Which is in her room most of the time. Again, she will make an "appearance" every hour or two for a few minutes to give hellos and hugs and chat a bit.
Rewards don't mean anything to her, so it's hard to find anything to motivate her. She is invited to go on outings everytime they/we go somewhere, but she mostly says "no thank you". Again, she is perfectly content.I would guess she is emotionally about 15. SHe reads "50 shades of grey" series (ugh--her mom buys her these books, which I totally disagree with---but as her dad says "she is an adult"), watches tons of TV in her room in addition to computer.She is allowed to drink if she wants, because she is over 21 and her dad wants to treat her like a normal adult-but luckily she does not like alcohol.
Does anyone have a adult child like this and was there ever a point where the child gets tired of the isolation and self-motivate to move out or do something productive? I am assuming that without intervention (which won't happen because she doesn't want it), she will probably remain this way now for life?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 7:03 am

RandR1 wrote:
Does anyone have a adult child like this and was there ever a point where the child gets tired of the isolation and self-motivate to move out or do something productive? I am assuming that without intervention (which won't happen because she doesn't want it), she will probably remain this way now for life?

TBH, While I have seen many posts from people with similar issues as yours (from both bio and step parents) I cannot recall seeing any follow-up post reporting success. That may be a function of the fact that people tend to come on this site when they have issues and not after they solve them. In addition this sub-board tends to be populated by a much greater number of parents of school-aged children rather than parents of children who have aged out. I don't know if you will get the kind of response you specifically want from the audience you are targeting.

I also don't know what this means in terms of odds of success. There may be studies out there that have analyzed that, but I am not personally aware of those resources. I don't know if you are looking for odds, strategies, hope or some combination; but in terms of decision-making I would operate on the assumption that nothing will change other than possibly on the margins.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 7:05 am

yes

I think not being her mother complicates things also a bit,
but at that age you can't really parent, and you shouldn't do that here

I found it also hard when its father who doesn't mind her staying in this situation

please don't assume , especially longterm, nothing ever stays the same

Researching some more about demand avoidance might give some clues,
likely they enjoy things better if they can master the situation
but flight these when they don't see the expectations or steps clearly.
Everything needs to be explained thoroughly, even if there's obvious desinterst, treat her like an adult while remembering she doesn't master the basics in what seems obvious to you.

Talk about your own experiences at that age, your fears or what helped you go through things (at that age), or
other peoples stories, (eg grandparents) , ideal dinnerconversations for the whole family, which enrichens the childrens viewpoints to the world and life.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2017, 6:45 pm

This might be a terrible idea, but just in case. Does your daughter love animals? Do you think she will be excited with the idea of taking care of a small breed puppy? From what I have read, ASD people tend to connect with animals, as it is in my case. Once she gets the dog, she will want to buy toys for her baby, she will want to walk and play with her dog every day, and she might even join group obedience training classes for the sake of her dog.

Obviously she can't really fully take care of a puppy without OP and her family's help at least initially, but as long as she connects with the dog, the dog will help opening her world for her. The ONLY reason I am able to stick with my exercise plan is my german shepherd puppy... She needs to walk me every day!

RandR1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 8:01 pm

No, she doesn't care for animals- has no interest at all in them. They have some cats and she is indifferent to them for the most part.

Yes, I guess I do need to find a message board or support group for parents with spectrum kids over 18. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. It seems as if these kids just disappear.

RandR1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 8:02 pm

Maybe they are all in their parents basements....in their rooms! LOL

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2017, 11:47 pm

Asperger Parents: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244321327583/?ref=br_rs
Asperger's & Autism Parent Support Network: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4811633 ... ?ref=br_rs
ASD Parent Connection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5173985 ... ?ref=br_rs
ASD Parents Getaways and Breaks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2711673 ... ?ref=br_rs
ASD Warrior Parents: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4026677 ... ?ref=br_rs

Disclaimer: I am not in any of the group nor do I know anyone in any of the group, but they may be able to help you. Good luck.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

RandR1 wrote:
also- dad has no problem being assertive, he is just content with the situation and accepted that this is how it is. I have accepted it too and am ok with it, but like I said, I feel bad for HER because I think she could do more. But maybe I shouldn't care and just let it go, because after all, she is happy and dad is happy with the current situation. SO maybe there isn't an issue at all. Again, just wondered if others had any success in motivating Aspie adult children to move forward.

My friend did.

When her son was 16 (and obviously wasn't going to survive college due to social skills and executive functioning issues), they told him at 18 he would have his own place. This was brought up at the IEP meetings, so everyone knew what was on the table.

He turned 18, and in July he was moved into his own little studio apartment by a community college. The son was not happy, didn't want to leave home, and had a few melt downs.

He could...

Leave on his own...
Stay in the apartment with tons of scaffolding from parents/help.
Parents file for guardianship, and he goes into the Easter Seal program (which is like what the studio apartment deal was).

There was no coming back home, because this kid just was unable to motivate with mom and dad around 24/7.

The parents had a 10 year plan of slowly pulling back support, in 10 years he had to show he had the minimal skills to take of himself and a home. (The drop dead age for the parents was age 30).

He finally got his wings around age 23. Had a small job, could reasonably keep track of what had to be done. Got his BS degree at age 29. He is working in the science field, and life hasn't always been bump free, but he's doing it.

It may seem hard core, but their son would have been happily lived in their basement playing video games and eating ramen until his parents died. With him you couldn't do gentle pushes, it had to be all laid out on the table.

It was more an expensive of time at the beginning, than actual money. It was cheaper to get him his own place, than to ship him off to college at 18. The parents had a big support system that the son had to okay.

Is this for everyone? No. Why it worked was everyone wanted this young man to succeed. Had they just "waited", nothing would have happened because of the lovely ADHD/ASD crap executive functioning skills. Special interests would make him move his ass. Activities of daily living-not so much. Lol....

All the people I know who have ASD kids that couldn't handle life after high school, gave a harder push with an ocean liner worth of support and help to get them moving on to adulthood. Because you don't want 10 years of resentment building up until you threaten to evict the child.

Another reason, is you hope the siblings help out after you are gone. Not all do. Like the two families who dumped their adult Aspies into my hospital ER lobby and left. Legally they could do that. No one had guardianship. The men weren't on SSI. The sibs were like f*ck this sh*t, and left them. Lots of fun trying to find a placement for two 50+ year old men with all the daily living skills of a 10 year old.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a big revelation, but who knows? I would get a trust set up so this young woman isn't thrown to the wolves when you pass on. At least you'll have the peace of mind she won't be trundle off to an ER/police station/homeless shelter before your head stone is in place. Many families tell you what you want to hear, so don't believe it. Make all your wishes legal and bullet proof.