Megachurch In Alabama May Get Its Own Police Force

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-megachurch-moves-closer-getting-own-police-force-n745561

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:35 pm

Quote:
And some opponents have expressed worries that churches that have their own police forces would be able to cover up crimes.
Yeah, I can see where real city police like Chicago, Baltimore, Ferguson, would kind of resent other police forces also being able to cover up things in their own respective jurisdictions.

Mr_Mastowski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm

8O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:52 am

A bunch of megachurch fundies wanting their own police force. What could possibly go wrong?
But seriously, just what would their duties entail? Besides the claim that they're afraid of mass shooters as in Sandy Hook, which I am more than a little skeptical about, I have to wonder if this police force would be used to stifle any opposition to a political or social stand taken by the pastor or the majority of congregants.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:44 pm

Rent-a-cops have the power-to-arrest and carry arms, so, secularly speaking, it's like complaining that Walmart or McDonald's have their own "police." The implication, that church security proselytizes by force, is akin to saying that mall security advertises by force.

Speaking of a religion, being spread by force, my family, in the greater San Bernardino area, said that someone shouted the takbīr, in a church, so had to be removed. Some of our pastors have been shot-at, and would face physical persecution, in a country, under stricter arms controls.

I think that self-defense is a natural right, in the same respect that animals, plants, and even microbes have their own defenses. And, I am suspicious of any allegedly "safe" spaces, which will not undertake the effort to secure their existence.

Most people are too blasé and non-committal, to save their own hides, when claiming to occupy some place, social cause, or resource.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm

Sound like they are on the way to create their own theocratic government in parallel to the the democratic US government, either they are aware of it or not. When taking also in account that a lot of religious peoples want to greatly reduce public powers, the eventual scary consequences are obvious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Rent-a-cops have the power-to-arrest and carry arms, so, secularly speaking, it's like complaining that Walmart or McDonald's have their own "police." The implication, that church security proselytizes by force, is akin to saying that mall security advertises by force.

Speaking of a religion, being spread by force, my family, in the greater San Bernardino area, said that someone shouted the takbīr, in a church, so had to be removed. Some of our pastors have been shot-at, and would face physical persecution, in a country, under stricter arms controls.

I think that self-defense is a natural right, in the same respect that animals, plants, and even microbes have their own defenses. And, I am suspicious of any allegedly "safe" spaces, which will not undertake the effort to secure their existence.

Most people are too blasé and non-committal, to save their own hides, when claiming to occupy some place, social cause, or resource.

I never said anything about forcing people into their megachurch by way of their personal police church. My point was, these so called police might be used to keep control over elements of the congregation that are not in line with the rest of the church politically or socially. If so, then this is definitely cultish behavior, which isn't such an outlandish idea when considering evangelicals in red states.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:31 pm

By this same logic, the mall cop could conceivably coerce shoppers. These church policemen have the same legal authority as the mall cop.

fwiw, some sjw will usually try to get hired, knowing full well that they're a bad fit, politically-speaking, then try to sue, for discrimination, at a ruinous price. You same people, who worry about being indoctrinated, under force, will then hide behind armed police, to force sensitivity training, onto some traditionalist.

So, to avoid all this, church business is usually performed, secularly. They might just as soon hire from a security service, in the phonebook, if they can afford it, because you will punish them, if they don't. Lest anyone think that I'm being speculative or fanciful, this has literally happened, before.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:37 pm

Colleges and universities all have their own police forces. I don't get what the issue is.

Sounds like lefty knee-jerkism in response to any report involving a church or Alabama.

There Are Four Lights!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:48 pm

And, I did propose a sort-of moral equivalence.

When using the term, safespace, I implied that lefties should save their own hides.

Will they argue against that, too?

I don't think they want real equality, with the Christians.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
And, I did propose a sort-of moral equivalence.

When using the term, safespace, I implied that lefties should save their own hides.

Will they argue against that, too?

I don't think they want real equality, with the Christians.

As a matter of fact, I am a Christian. And I can tell you right now, there's something untoward about a church or any religious institution having it's own armed police force. At least, that's the christian values I was raised with.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:56 pm

Were you realistically going to offend these police, in any way? If you really can't stand what the pastor was saying, you could just politely excuse yourself, without causing much of a disturbance.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:58 pm

gross.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Were you realistically going to offend these police, in any way? If you really can't stand what the pastor was saying, you could just politely excuse yourself, without causing much of a disturbance.

While I have never interrupted a church service, nor will I ever, the fact remains, I have expressed my disagreements about certain church policies publically to my pastor, and other church members. I should be able to do this, and I am fully sanctioned to express my opinion as well in my church body. The last thing anyone needs is to have some bully with a gun ordering someone to shut up for expressing dissent.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 6:21 pm

You would be allowed to express constructive criticism, during a q&a session and would presumably be allowed to leave the premises.

Also, what was your solution to terrorist attacks, against Christians, who would seem to be soft targets, collected into a single chokepoint. They'll do it, on the holidays.

As a matter of fact, one civil servant gave us specific warnings, for the Christian holiday of Christmas, this year.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 8:38 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
You would be allowed to express constructive criticism, during a q&a session and would presumably be allowed to leave the premises.

Also, what was your solution to terrorist attacks, against Christians, who would seem to be soft targets, collected into a single chokepoint. They'll do it, on the holidays.

As a matter of fact, one civil servant gave us specific warnings, for the Christian holiday of Christmas, this year.

But would I be allowed to come back?
Despite the media attention terrorism is getting these days, the idea that any and all churches around the country live in danger is - I'm sorry to say - simply paranoid. If a church is located in somewhere like Pakistan or Egypt, that would be a different story.
And just who is this civil servant?