Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

Hi! I'm pretty new here, though I have posted on a couple of topics already. I'm Theresa, and I'm 28 years old. I am 99.9% sure I have Aspergers, but have never received an official diagnosis. My brother and father both do (my brother was diagnosed at a very young age) and I have done a TON of research, all of which has definitely pointed towards me being on the spectrum. My question is, how do I go about getting an official diagnosis? I am also an addict in recovery that goes to treatment regularly, and I believe that getting an official diagnosis would help greatly in me getting the proper help that I need in recovery.

Anyways; I am very much into art, music, animals, Magic the Gathering, and Star Trek, and I'm really into comic books as well. I enjoy reading but I prefer comic books and graphic novels when it comes to fiction because I have a hard time getting into fiction novels. I paint a TON, mostly acrylics and spray paint. I also love kittens and am really into theoretical physics (string theory/quantum mechanics). I look forward to talking to everyone and getting to know people that I can relate to on a much closer level. I have a really hard time relating to and making friends with neuro-typical people.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2017, 2:54 pm

Hello there.

I have Autism myself. I was diagnosed at 28. Did about 4-8 hours of testing.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:40 pm

CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
My question is, how do I go about getting an official diagnosis?

Hi----and, WELCOME!!

If you have insurance, you might have to go-through your GP to get a referral to a psychiatrist; then, you can look in your doctor book (from your insurance company), and pick one that, hopefully, has experience with Autism (ADULT Autism, would be ideal).

If you're going to pay for it, out-of-pocket, maybe you could just find a psychiatrist on the Internet.

Again, welcome----I hope you find lots of the things you're looking for, here!!

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2017, 5:20 pm

Depending on where you are at, it can cost from $300 to $2500.

Campin_Cat wrote:
CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
My question is, how do I go about getting an official diagnosis?

Hi----and, WELCOME!!

If you have insurance, you might have to go-through your GP to get a referral to a psychiatrist; then, you can look in your doctor book (from your insurance company), and pick one that, hopefully, has experience with Autism (ADULT Autism, would be ideal).

If you're going to pay for it, out-of-pocket, maybe you could just find a psychiatrist on the Internet.

Again, welcome----I hope you find lots of the things you're looking for, here!!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 7:53 am

You might want to ask for an autism assessment from the diagnostician(s) that your father and brother attended for their diagnoses. Good diagnosticians know that autism is frequently a familial trait and they might be better trained to watch for similar behaviors and characteristics.

Good luck! :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)