Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Taylord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2017, 11:20 am

I plan on building a desktop so that i can do animation, modeling, coding, gaming etc. i have about $3000. do any of you know the best build within that budget?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 1:22 pm

Used HP Proliant DL560. 4x Xeon Octacore with RAID. You will need to get, and possibly adapt a video card for it. --You may need to run it in another room as well as it would be noisier than desktop tower.

Also, it may be a few years old, but the advatage of running a commercial server over a regular desktop is that a commercial server is designed to run at 100% CPU and throughput load 24-7-365, whereas a desktop system, even a high end one, generally is not. Also 32 cores will be more than sufficient to run games and do 3D rendering.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2017, 2:51 pm

Well, I built my own gaming desktop just a few months ago, so I'll give my advice as well. Since you have a pretty big budget it seems, I'll build a list of very high-end parts that you might want to buy and provide links to amazon as well. If you however want to spend less than a total of say $1000 - $1300, than just say so and I'll build another list of something a little more affordable.

For a CPU (central processing unit) you'll probably want to go with an intel processor, as they are known for their reliability. I'd say that the i7 6700k is a good bet in this category.

For a GPU (Graphics processing unit) I can recommend Nvidia for a pretty good value. Out of their GPUs, I'd get either the
gtx 1060 or the gtx 1070 myself, depending on how much you wanna spend.

In terms of a motherboard, you'll need one specifically meant to fit with your type of CPU,
this MSI motherboard one that fits with the i7 6700k CPU I mentioned earlier.

You'll need quite a hefty PSU (power supply unit) to run a beastly computer like this as well, so this 850w Corsair PSU seems like a good choice.

You'll also need some RAM for any computer to work, a good 16gb ram kit should suffice.

Of course, you'll also need a hard drive to put all that data in, this 2tb drive should work well.

Oh, how could I forget! You'll also need a computer case to shove all these nice shiny components in. You'll need a pretty big one as well, but this case looks cool enough to me.

Hope this helped somewhat!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 4:35 pm

Taylord wrote:
...animation, modeling, coding, gaming etc.

First choose a platform -- Windows, Linux, CentOS, ??? -- and that might be determined by what software you plan to use...and *then* begin looking to see what hardware will actually be needed. The company that makes the chassis and shell for Greyhound busses sells that same product to producers of high-end motor homes, but they would likely discourage someone from trying to use one for hauling freight. You likely do not need nearly as much as a sales department might recommend, so listen a little more closely to custom builders who know exactly what is needed for the specific tasks at hand.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 1:42 pm

I have a laptop and I can do all these perfectly and it costed me less than $1700

intel i7 6700hq processor
16gb ram
500gb ssd
nvidia gtx 960m 4gb
(plus it has a multitouch screen)

To build a desktop with similar parts to these would even cost you a lot cheaper than that. Don't see why to spend $3000 on it. I would buy a cintiq with the left over money instead lol.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 7:58 pm

I going to mention the used quad Xeon Proliant again. You are getting an enterprise grade computer with an original cost of $30-$35K plus for about $3K.

The downsides are that they are noisey and use a lot of power due to the fact that they have two dual redundant PSU's. --They were made to sit in a server rack in an IT room, not near a desk.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 8:16 pm

Fogman wrote:
...two dual redundant...

...as in redundant redundancy?! ;)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

leejosepho wrote:
Fogman wrote:
...two dual redundant...

...as in redundant redundancy?! ;)

Actually no, one PSU for each pair of Processors, plus backup for each. If they went with a singe PSU plus redundant backup, it would have to be a 220V PSU. FWIW, the old SGI Onyx systems ran off 220, and I think that the bigger 8 CPU x86 based servers are the same.