Oxford: Students who avoid eye contact could be racists!

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2017, 6:49 pm

Yep, they uncovered our dirty little secret. We've struggled with issues of eye contact and other nuances of sociability all our lives in order to oppress people of other races. Time to confess our terrible sin and face our much-deserved punishment.

Students who avoid making eye contact could be guilty of racism, Oxford University says

Quote:
Students who avoid making eye contact with their peers could be guilty of racism, according to Oxford University’s latest guidance.

The university’s Equality and Diversity Unit has advised students that “not speaking directly to people” could be deemed a “racial microaggression” which can lead to “mental ill-health”.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 7:05 pm

This is hard to believe but if so these people are a load of dummies.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2017, 7:24 pm

Good God... Only a massive facepalm can suffice to show how much I am stupefied by the ignorance of some people. This is what SJW culture has gotten us, you know. Next their gonna say that looking at someone for over 3 seconds is sexual harassment!

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2017, 7:31 pm

Ignotum wrote:
Good God... Only a massive facepalm can suffice to show how much I am stupefied by the ignorance of some people. This is what SJW culture has gotten us, you know. Next their gonna say that looking at someone for over 3 seconds is sexual harassment!

If we stare we are rapists if we don't stare we are rayciss

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2017, 8:02 pm

Well, I'm sure Cambridge University appreciates this, as it means all those on the spectrum whose interests incline them towards academic pursuits will be heading there now, rather than applying to Oxford.

Also, Cambridge is the home of Simon Baron Cohen's Autism Research Centre, and so presumably has at least some members of staff who could point out how silly such a policy is.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 12:29 am

Ignotum wrote:
Next their gonna say that looking at someone for over 3 seconds is sexual harassment!

Oh it is and has been for a while, it's called "stare rape" or "eye rape". You are always doing wrong according to these people. :shrug:

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2017, 1:22 am

Yep, just can't win with some people unfortunately!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 2:20 am

are universities providers of tabloid headlines?

what i see is education in debate-tactics, not debate, that sits quite well next to those headlines/ talking points.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 3:19 am

I think the article refers to lack of eye contact "could be" rather than "are" racists

Racists generally use this strategy of not giving eye contact as a form of micro-aggression. I've seen this in playgrounds where a non-white family enters and (it's pretty obvious) everyone avoids looking at them (I guess if they pretend they don't see them then they can keep believing they are still living in an all white neighborhood)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 11:05 am

SJW's engaging in mental masturbation for the purpose of academic advancement.

Too bad it has actual ramifications for people's real lives (both in terms of autistic folks and people who are just shy getting harassed, and in terms of finding new ways for other demographics to takes possibly needless offense), without actually doing anything to actually advance actual equality/equity.

Sigh. More of the same. Virtue signaling is, alas, more profitable than actual virtuous behavior.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 11:56 am

Lot of people with ASD have difficulty making eye contact. Are they all racists?! Racism is a serious issue but things like this don't help. Would have expected better of Oxford university.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 1:23 pm

I don't know whether I should laugh or roll my eyes. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to SJWs. Seems 1984 is almost here in regard to thought crime.

OTPH, it might give NT students a taste of the ASD life:

Quote:
“It is really problematic - it means people can’t relate to each other naturally, they have rules in the back of their mind and they can’t be spontaneous as their interactions are all overlaid with the desire to follow all these rules.”

Funny that the article mentioned the word snowflake. I was thinking something like that as well!
Even applause can apparently trigger some people these days

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 1:31 pm

Anyone who thinks I am racist for having difficult with eye contact could be accused of being anti those with possible ASD/severe mental illness.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 4:09 pm

Maybe true if it means the person dislikes the Human Race.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:01 pm

hmmm people not reading the article...

"could be" doesn't actually mean "all people who don't give eye contact are racist"

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Maybe true if it means the person dislikes the Human Race.

Yeah, autism obviously means antisocial, duh. /s

For f**k's sake. :roll: