Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 11:54 am

AlanSmithee wrote:
Fogman wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:
After seeing such a disgusting miscarriage of justice (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... l-verdict/), I can't say I'm disappointed.

Homophobia = bad, yes... but forcing someone to commit a perceived sin (thus ironically causing emotional distress in the other direction) = equally bad.
be

Oh, this again. Why couldn't they just STFU and make a cake for the nice lesbian couple, take the money and be happy?

What one believes on their own should not made company policy in a professional service environment. No miscarriage of justice, they decided to enforce their beliefs on others through the policy of their company and lost when they got taken to court for it.

The upside though, is that this Executive Order essentially allows me to justify being a complete prick to some annoying Fundie by claiming that it is a moral obligation to do so as a 'Satanist'.

^Strawman 101.^

Last I checked, all the bakers did was turn them down as reasonably as possible; there was no "being a complete prick," etc.

Why couldn't the couple have just gone to a different bakery instead of causing such a convoluted ruckus?

And to quote one comment on another news site:

Because they were discriminated against, and weren't ok with it...if it were me I probably would have just rudely left and went somewhere else, but I can't fault someone for taking legal action against discrimination. How does baking a cake violate anyone's religous freedom. I wonder how people would feel if a business run by Muslim americans refused service to a woman because she wasn't wearing a headscarf? would it be a convoluted ruckus is she filed a lawsuit? Or is it only Christians that get special discrimination privileges based on their religion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 11:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Arizona, Mississippi and Texas - already passed laws that says religious businesses can refuse service to gay folks.

I think that won't last too long...contravenes a number of federal civil rights laws

Those laws are B.S, unless businesses can also refuse service to christian folk...'sorry you're christian, go away...thanks bye.' can't say it wouldn't be a bit satisfying lol.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 3:01 am

AlanSmithee wrote:
After seeing such a disgusting miscarriage of justice (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... l-verdict/), I can't say I'm disappointed.

Homophobia = bad, yes... but forcing someone to commit a perceived sin (thus ironically causing emotional distress in the other direction) = equally bad.

The problem is, it's not a sin to make a cake for a gay wedding or offer a medical plan that covers birth control or even abortions. But do you know what are sins? To do business on Saturday. To not pay your employees at the end of the day. To eat pork. To wear cotton wool blends. To plant two different types of plants in the same field, and the list goes on.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:20 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Arizona, Mississippi and Texas - already passed laws that says religious businesses can refuse service to gay folks.

I think that won't last too long...contravenes a number of federal civil rights laws

Those laws are B.S, unless businesses can also refuse service to christian folk...'sorry you're christian, go away...thanks bye.' can't say it wouldn't be a bit satisfying lol.

Most right wing nutjobs selectively read what they want from the bible

They ignore jesus despised mindless prejudice

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 4:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:

The problem is, it's not a sin to make a cake for a gay wedding or offer a medical plan that covers birth control or even abortions. But do you know what are sins? To do business on Saturday. To not pay your employees at the end of the day. To eat pork. To wear cotton wool blends. To plant two different types of plants in the same field, and the list goes on.

Extremely good point! :lol: