My Son Is Trying To Ignore His Disability

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 12:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Let him "ignore" his Aspergers--but watch him like a hawk when he goes away to college for the first time (but don't let him know that you're watching him!)

Kids frequently have problems with time management when they first go away to college. He might also want to seem "normal," so he might go to underage drinking parties and do foolish college antics. This will affect his grades. his nutrition might suffer, and he might feel depressed and homesick.

My nephew flunked out his first year, then went to a "commuter" community college, where he did well. Then, lesson learned, he succeeded at a large dorm/apartment type large university.

You do have to keep track of him, I believe. What I mentioned are the pitfalls experienced by NORMAL young people.

You are absolutely right! The executive function skills are difficult.

My son programed his own management system (he considered that a "fun" summer project) but he still forgot to show up for work one day (thankfully the boss forgave him).

It makes a big difference, I think, how self-aware the individual is. We spent literally a lifetime noting things he needed help with and talking about how those could get filled in once he was living on his own.

To the OP: that part of ASD one can never ignore, knowing what needs to be worked around and backed up, although everyone has to do that, don't they?