The declne of the American worker started in 1943

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 6:06 pm

Researchers have answered a big question about the decline of the middle class

Quote:
America is getting richer every year. The American worker is not.

Far from it: On average, workers born in 1942 earned as much or more over their careers than workers born in any year since, according to new research — and workers on the job today shouldn’t expect to catch up with their predecessors in their remaining years of employment.

Stagnant or falling earnings have put a squeeze on working- and middle-class households. The trend has also widened the gap between the rich and everyone else as, overall, the economy has continued to grow overall but the bulk of those gains have ended up in the pockets of the affluent.

These are some of the conclusions from a new working paper by a group of economists investigating the reasons for the decline of the American middle class. While economists have been concerned about recent data on earnings, the new paper suggests that ordinary Americans have been dealing with serious economic problems for much longer than may be widely recognized.

The new paper includes some “astonishing numbers,” said Gary Burtless, an economist at the nonpartisan Brookings Institution who was not involved in the research. “The stagnation of living standards began so much earlier than people think,” he said.

For instance, the typical 27-year-old man’s annual earnings in 2013 were 31 percent less than those of a typical 27-year-old man in 1969. The data suggest that today’s young men are unlikely to make up for that decline by earning more in the future.

Women have done much better than men. More women have entered the labor force and taken on more prestigious and remunerative careers. Still, women are making less than men over their working years, and women’s rising earnings have not made up for the decline in men’s incomes for the population as a whole.

Recently, women’s progress has stalled, in part due to the financial crisis. The typical female worker who was 27 in 2013 made no more than the typical woman of that age did in 1980.
n particular, the results show that more unequal incomes are not just a result of a widening gap between younger and older workers. Even among older workers, typical incomes have been falling while the wealthiest have been enjoying more and more of the economy’s gains. Poorer workers — who tend to be younger — will earn more as they get older, but they are not likely to earn enough to make up the difference.

“This idea that we’re having this progression of increasing incomes over time — I think that might be true for the upper regions of the income distribution but not for the median,” said Nathaniel Hendren, a Harvard University economist who was not involved in the study.

The new research shows that in the past, a good guide to forecasting typical career earnings among Americans of a given age has been their average income they were 25.

The implication, Guvenen argues, is that economists should search for explanations for households’ current financial woes in the youth and childhood of today’s workers.

“We are maybe looking at the wrong place for the solution to stagnation in wages and rising inequalities,” Guvenen said. “To understand higher inequality, we should turn and take a closer look at youth.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 10:09 am

...I recalled this frequently​-evoked statistic that 1973 was the high point , from there downward , of
American workers' wages . Are you following that but starting at a 30's birth year ?
I haven't read the link as yet .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 10:39 am

Plutocracy in action and GOP trickle down/voodoo economics has only made things worse.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 May 2017, 10:56 am

boomers destroyed the country

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 10:59 am

I have long believed that the United States needs its own version of the French Revolution. No less than Thomas Jefferson recommended a revolution every generation. Thomas Paine was actually jailed during the French Revolution.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 11:15 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I have long believed that the United States needs its own version of the French Revolution. No less than Thomas Jefferson recommended a revolution every generation. Thomas Paine was actually jailed during the French Revolution.

The French and American revolutions were fueled by the same ideas. The difference came because American revolutionaries owned stuff and they could export the poor to the west, so they didn't want to completely destroy society.

The French Revolution was conducted by pissed off poor people and they did destroy their society. As a result, France went from world power to a 3rd rate country, and their revolution degenerated into political terror before resolving into a military dictatorship. And, France has never recovered.

I hope we don't have a french style revolution, but the next one surely will be.

That's not a good thing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 3:30 pm

The article doesn't say the decline started in 1943. It says something like that it started for "workers born in 1943" (ie around 1973).

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 3:39 pm

^^^ Yep, just about the time the GOP started gaining national power. 8)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 4:02 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
And, France has never recovered.

in what way?

GoonSquad wrote:
I hope we don't have a french style revolution, but the next one surely will be.

That's not a good thing.

sounds pretty good to me. i like the term "violent restructuring".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 4:26 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

in what way?

Prior to the revolution, France was THE superpower in the world. After the revolution (and to this day) it's just another mediocre European s**thole (that America has has to liberate twice!).

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 5:09 pm

Edmound Burke, British statesman and supporter of the American revolution, nailed the problem with the French Revolution in 1790, just after in began, in Reflections on the Revolution in France:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflectio ... _in_France

Quote:
Reflections on the Revolution in France[1] is a political pamphlet written by the British statesman Edmund Burke and published in November 1790. One of the best-known intellectual attacks against the French Revolution,[2] Reflections is a defining tract of modern conservatism as well as an important contribution to international theory. Above all else, it has been one of the defining efforts of Edmund Burke's transformation of "traditionalism into a self-conscious and fully conceived political philosophy of conservatism".[3]

Here's the secret sauce for a successful republic according to Burke, which he concluded that France did not have--from, "A Letter From Mr. Burke To A Member Of The National Assembly In Answer To Some Objections To His Book On French Affairs (1791):

Quote:
[T]he utmost caution ought to have been used in the reduction of the royal power, which alone was capable of holding together the comparatively heterogeneous mass of your states. But, at this day, all these considerations are unseasonable. To what end should we discuss the limitations of royal power? Your king is in prison. Why speculate on the measure and standard of liberty? I doubt much, very much, indeed, whether France is at all ripe for liberty on any standard. Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites; in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity — in proportion as their soundness and sobriety of understanding is above their vanity and presumption; in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsels of the wise and good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboa ... /tonatass/

Don't make me quote Burke again. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 5:30 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

in what way?

Prior to the revolution, France was THE superpower in the world. After the revolution (and to this day) it's just another mediocre European s**thole (that America has has to liberate twice!).

Utter nonsense.

France was one of the TWO superpowers of the world at the time. Britain and France were the only two in the superheavy weight class of superpowers. Within in that class France was already second to Britain- because Britain had already won control of North America, and of India, and of the seven seas, a generation earlier in the Seven Years War (aka "the French and Indian Wars"). By the time of the French Revolution France was second only to Britain in that top tier of two nations (second, but second in the top class). After the French Revolution, and after the wars of Napoleon, France was STILL second only to Britain in the super heavy weight class containing only two countries. And remained so until the two world wars.

France, and Britain both declined in RELATIVE terms because of the rise of other countries. Germany united and industrialized, and changed the whole balance of power in Europe. And the USA closed its frontiers and began to throw its weight around beyond North America. But none of that was the fault of the French Revolution, and all happened generations after the French Revolution anyway.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 5:39 pm

...Well , that backs me up , then ! :P no
naturalplastic"]The article doesn't say the decline started in 1943. It says something like that it started for "workers born in 1943" (ie around 1973).[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 8:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

in what way?

Utter nonsense.

France was one of the TWO superpowers of the world at the time. Britain and France were the only two in the superheavy weight class of superpowers. Within in that class France was already second to Britain- because Britain had already won control of North America, and of India, and of the seven seas, a generation earlier in the Seven Years War (aka "the French and Indian Wars"). By the time of the French Revolution France was second only to Britain in that top tier of two nations (second, but second in the top class). After the French Revolution, and after the wars of Napoleon, France was STILL second only to Britain in the super heavy weight class containing only two countries. And remained so until the two world wars.

France, and Britain both declined in RELATIVE terms because of the rise of other countries. Germany united and industrialized, and changed the whole balance of power in Europe. And the USA closed its frontiers and began to throw its weight around beyond North America. But none of that was the fault of the French Revolution, and all happened generations after the French Revolution anyway.

Okay, as usual,you are wrong and here's why: :mrgreen:

1. The Frankish Kingdom and later France had been THE POWER in the western world since the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in the 470s. in the 19th century France was THE WORLD'S ONLY SUPERPOWER. Great Britain was a rising power.

2. during the French and Indian War the French ceded control of Canada, that's it (in north america). They retained control of the important bits (sorry Canada) like the Louisianan Territory and New Orleans.

3. France sold its holdings in North America to President Jefferson, POST REVOLUTION, because it needed the money as it was getting its ass handed to it by Wellington and the Russians. It also lost Haiti during this time due to a slave revolt, and simply could not reclaim the territory BECAUSE IT WAS TOO WEAK.

4. From 1870 on, France was Germany's BITCH--see Franco-Prussian War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War *

HOWEVER, even if your atl-right propaganda was true (romanticizing the French Revolution must be some new alt-right BS for people who don't know actual history), IT WOULD NOT CHANGE THE FACT that the French Revolution (powered by pissed off poor people ) was a disaster that degenerated into political terror--See THE [goddamn] REIGN OF TERROR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Terror
Quote:
The Reign of Terror or The Terror (French: la Terreur) is the label given by some historians to a period during the French Revolution. Many historians believe it began in 1793, placing the starting date at either 5 September,[1] June [2] or March (birth of the Revolutionary Tribunal), while some believe it began in September 1792 (September Massacres), or even July 1789 (when the first decapitations took place),[3] but there is a general consensus that it ended in July 1794.[1][2]

Between June 1793 and the end of July 1794, there were 16,594 official death sentences in France, of which 2,639 were in Paris.[2][4] However, the total number of deaths in France was much higher, owing to death in imprisonment, suicide and casualties in foreign and civil war.

--and resolved in the MILITARY DICTATORSHIP of Napoleon I who basically lost France its global empire. As previously stated, France lost all of its important interests in North American (sorry Canada) under Napoleon AFTER THE REVOLUTION.

So, romanticizing the French Revolution might be some new alt-right revisionist history, but it is still UTTER BS, and certainly not anything sane Americans would want to emulate.

:)

*The Franco Prussian War precipitated the 3RD GODDAMN FRENCH REPUBLIC in less than a century--not a great selling point if you want political stability.

** I refuted all of this alt-right nonsense with three pints of (very strong) IPA in me. This is too easy!

Last edited by GoonSquad on 14 May 2017, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 May 2017, 9:28 pm

People have glorified the French Revolution long before the 'alt-right' was even a thing for exactly that reason, when people say we need another French Revolution what they're saying is we need to kill a whole bunch of the elite not that we should rebuild society around radical enlightenment ideas or whatever.

I mean, beheading the king and queen is pretty badass :P

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The article doesn't say the decline started in 1943. It says something like that it started for "workers born in 1943" (ie around 1973).

My bad. You are correct. Those born in 1942, entered the workforce at the end of the 50's and 60's and turned 27 during 1969.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman