Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2017, 9:37 pm

I would like to startup a peer support group for Autistic people in my hometown. I've found a place that I can host the meetups at, but it would cost me money that I do not have. To cover that, and to cover other expenses that may crop up such as advertising, management, and snacks for the meetings I feel that the best way to do this is to set up a nonprofit organization so I can ask for contributions.

I really want to do this, and I really believe it will work. I have friends in town (also on the spectrum) who are as frustrated as I am in the lack of services for people like us that are actually run by people like us. It is my goal to allow autistic adults to connect with each other and communicate face-to-face with people who share the same struggles.

I've checked out some legal books from the library on how to start a nonprofit, and I have about a dozen research tabs open in my browser, and for all this information I have no idea where to begin. I feel like I'm just staring at a blank wall of text. Does anyone here have any experience with starting up any kind of business? I'm making some progress in fleshing out exactly what I want to accomplish with my group in a Business Scope, and I'm also trying to narrow that down into a sentence or two for a Mission Statement, but I'm somewhat struggling on what to call my support group. And when I finally think of a name, what do I do then?

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:56 am

Have you thought about hitting up the community centres in your town for their support? Usually, they'll let you advertise on their noticeboards.

I reckon the secret of success of any venture is to start small and intimate. Don't worry about the legal side of it until it gets huge. And by that time, you can hopefully delegate that job to someone else!

You could start by setting a time and popping notices in people's mailboxes.

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2017, 3:16 pm

I do need to worry about the legalities to get it started. I think I need to file for my business at the local, state, and federal levels? I don't know, i've never done anything like this before.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 3:20 pm

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/fi ... ompany.asp

Only 30% of taxpayers itemize and can take advantage of charitable contributions to reduce their taxes.
It could be useful if you can get contributions from the wealthy.

Last edited by BTDT on 16 May 2017, 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 3:52 pm

snollygoster wrote:
I would like...

...to set up a nonprofit organization so I can ask for contributions.

... to startup a peer support group for Autistic people in my hometown...

Contributions to a not-for-profit corporation and organization are not necessary for doing that.

Alita wrote:
Have you thought about hitting up the community centres in your town for their support? Usually, they'll let you advertise on their noticeboards.

I reckon the secret of success of any venture is to start small and intimate...

You could start by setting a time and popping notices in people's mailboxes.

Yes, if the people you know truly want to get together for the stated purpose, just look around for a church or library willing to let you use a room for a few hours at a time. The kinds of expenses you might face are far too small to justify the greater expense of establishing and maintaining a not-for-profit corporation where you will find it very difficult to ever receive any substantial contributions anyway.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 12:49 am

leejosepho wrote:
just look around for a church or library willing to let you use a room for a few hours at a time. The kinds of expenses you might face are far too small to justify the greater expense of establishing and maintaining a not-for-profit corporation where you will find it very difficult to ever receive any substantial contributions anyway.

This is exactly my thought.

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2017, 9:12 am

Mt tint town has a beautiful "grange-type hall" on the third floor that they charge $75 per day to use and of course no one uses it.

I plan to start a club there by paying for a space every Xday and X:00 and wait for the good people to show up, knowing they all have the responsibility of showing up and putting in their fair share so it pays for itself. The group with either grow by itself or not, and if not, then there's no one smart enough in town... but I know it will work over time.