Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2017, 8:36 am

I generally have very deadpan reactions. I have definitely come a long way and am much better at expressing emotions, but still not very expressive. I think it can be kind of boring to other people at times. I often watch other people get physically excited or laugh very loudly and dramatically or get very excited to see a person and it's puzzling, but i kind of wish i knew how to be expressive like that. I have come to realize that i do have very strong feelings and opinions, but i just don't really understand when/how it's appropriate to show them in a social setting.

I think part of it is the fear of messing up and having everyone think i'm weird. Sigh. I get flashbacks of a lot of hurtful rejection middle school and high school related to times i tried to "assimilate" but ended up doing or saying something really dumb or weird or awkward. So i learned to be very cautious in my responses and observe for a long time before taking part. I soon decided that being the "quiet but pleasant" one is better than being the awkward disliked one.

At home or with a select few people that i trust, i respond much differently, very childlike i think as many of you have said. I jump around and scream and yell lol.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:09 am

I went to a birthday dinner for a friend of a friend after begging to tag along during while I was staying with her for the weekend. This friend said that I could come as an additional guest. During the event, I had seemed to be described as "The life of the party," while appearing to get along with everyone. I had also gone out for breakfast with some of these same people a few weeks before that.

Then about a month later, I found a post right here on WP which was posted by my friend that her friend who said, "Yes," was really two-faced with me and hated my guts and had said that she didn't want me friend to being me along anymore. Why?
1. I dominated the conversation and seemed to think that I was the center of attention
2. I was too bubbly
3. I was too picky about the food? (I can't remember)

Her other friends made me out to be this terrible monster by
1. Sitting in a chair of another guest who had gotten up to get something to drink, so I went to sit down thinking that she would not come back.

Last edited by Summer_Twilight on 02 Jun 2017, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

futuresoldier1944
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I went to a birthday dinner for a friend of a friend after begging to tag along during while I was staying with her for the weekend. This friend said that I could come as an additional guest. During the event, I had seemed to be described as "The life of the party," while appearing to get along with everyone. I had also gone out for breakfast with some of these same people a few weeks before that.

Then about a month later, I found a post right here on WP which was posted by my friend that her friend who said, "Yes," was really two-faced with me and hated my guts and had said that she didn't want me friend to being me along anymore. Why?
1. I dominated the conversation and seemed to think that I was the center of attention
2. I was too bubbly

1. Sitting in a chair of another guest who had gotten up to get something to drink, so I went to sit down thinking that she would not come back.

Well people will always have a tendency to be judgmental towards those whom they don't know or don't know very well. And those of us with Asperger's or Autism Spectum Disorder are especially vulnerable to being harshly or unfairly judged by others.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:57 am

I never thought of it being like that in terms of being judged like that by her friends. Anway, here is the funny part of all this.

1. The women who made a big deal about me accidentally sitting in her chair had an adult daughter with bi-polar disorder and fetal alcohol syndrome.
2. The friend of my now former or ex-friend had disabilities herself
3. My ex-friend also is on the spectrum and has a diagnosis of NLD or non-verbal learning disability

So I don't understand why they would judge and misunderstand me like that. Then again, my ex-friend belonged to a group of really shallow people who are miserable and have nothing else to do. So they fill their time by gossiping and slandering others behind their backs. So they have no respect for other people.

I was actually talking to someone else about this situation and we both agreed that the way these people handled me were being very rude and immature.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2017, 3:07 pm

komamanga wrote:
I have very childish reactions and I will jump, spin around and clap my hands when I'm genuinely happy. I can sometimes scream too.

Maybe it just comes naturally with someone?

banana247 wrote:
I generally have very deadpan reactions. I have definitely come a long way and am much better at expressing emotions, but still not very expressive. I think it can be kind of boring to other people at times. I often watch other people get physically excited or laugh very loudly and dramatically or get very excited to see a person and it's puzzling, but i kind of wish i knew how to be expressive like that. I have come to realize that i do have very strong feelings and opinions, but i just don't really understand when/how it's appropriate to show them in a social setting.

I think part of it is the fear of messing up and having everyone think i'm weird. Sigh. I get flashbacks of a lot of hurtful rejection middle school and high school related to times i tried to "assimilate" but ended up doing or saying something really dumb or weird or awkward. So i learned to be very cautious in my responses and observe for a long time before taking part. I soon decided that being the "quiet but pleasant" one is better than being the awkward disliked one.

At home or with a select few people that i trust, i respond much differently, very childlike i think as many of you have said. I jump around and scream and yell lol.

Struggling with the same right now, but I'll graduate soon anyway so I'm glad it's over. Think I'll chose the same path.

Summer_Twilight wrote:

2. I was too bubbly

I don't understand how they didn't think about maybe telling you that there was someone already sitting there.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 8:59 pm

"This is something I have noticed everywhere, that people has this incredibly rude behavior, but nothing happens as it isn't illegal, which I think it should be. At least some action should be taken against them."

even when something is illegal, sometimes no action gets taken against someone. for example, it is illegal to take a dog off leash. and last year someone's precious lil off leash dog bit me. but i was afraid of dogs for a long time before that. it gets on my nerves how precious lil "people" treat their dogs like their dogs are more important than me. that includes at least one former precious lil "friend".

besides, not everyone that commits a crime gets arrested or subpoenaed to court.

sometimes, a defendant gets framed for a crime. and wrongfully convicted. allegedly, some of those not guilty defendants have gotten executed.

likewise, sometimes, defendants get the "not guilty" verdict, even though they were guilty.

plenty of things make a difference in the verdict. the judge, the jury, whether the defendant is black or white.

Stanford swimmer Brock Turner got 3 months in jail when he got convicted of rape. but plenty of defendants got convicted of rape and they got much longer in jail.

and the jail sentence does not benefit the plaintiff.

"should", "can" and "will" are 3 different things.

the word "rude" is vague. and it ain't illegal to be "rude".

anyone can label anything as "rude".

the previous licensed clinical social worker kept grossly misunderstanding me. and then she acted like she was morally innocent, superior, wise, academically smart, and :roll: . she had a big ego. but plenty of psychologists that i have interacted with, also had big egos.

it ain't illegal to have a big ego. and it ain't uncommon either. especially not for professional counselors.

for example, she asked how i was. answered "depressed". then the lil ret*d had the nerve to ask if i was plotting to violate the Mandated Reporter Law. :twisted:

:jester: what? :jester:

on a form she gave me, i disclosed, in writing, that i got a diagnosis for clinical depression. but, some idiots use the word "depressed" to mean "sad". and they do not know or accept that depression is a mental illness. per the Diagnostic Statistical Manual.

and then she had the nerve to ask if anything bad happened lately. it's like

:oops: what? :twisted:

she expected me to be perfect or @ least happy all the time?

quite frankly, i suspect she was a lot less sophisticated than she acted like she was. and i was a lot more sophisticated than she treated me. and maybe i was more sophisticated than her. in some ways. :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2017, 5:19 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
Sometimes I intend to be helpful at home or with my friends, except that I sound like I'm complaining and not being helpful, and then I get the overreacting remark.
I had that problem when i lived with my parents.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm

W91T wrote:
komamanga wrote:
I have very childish reactions and I will jump, spin around and clap my hands when I'm genuinely happy. I can sometimes scream too.

Maybe it just comes naturally with someone?

banana247 wrote:

Struggling with the same right now, but I'll graduate soon anyway so I'm glad it's over. Think I'll chose the same path.

Summer_Twilight wrote:

2. I was too bubbly

I don't understand how they didn't think about maybe telling you that there was someone already sitting there.[/quote}

They did tell me to get up and I thought that was it. However, they took it a step further to use that against me as a reason not to bring me around their events anymore.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2017, 8:53 am

nick007 wrote:
ZachGoodwin wrote:
Sometimes I intend to be helpful at home or with my friends, except that I sound like I'm complaining and not being helpful, and then I get the overreacting remark.

When I think about it, I had the opposite problem. People complained at me because I didn't try to be helpful.

Summer_Twilight wrote:
They did tell me to get up and I thought that was it. However, they took it a step further to use that against me as a reason not to bring me around their events anymore.

That's too bad, but they really don't seem like the best people to be out with, so maybe it's for the best

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2017, 12:24 am

W91T wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ZachGoodwin wrote:

When I think about it, I had the opposite problem. People complained at me because I didn't try to be helpful.
They complained that I wasn't helpful but mom was critical of the way I did things so I kinda learned not do alot. I also have disabilities & the way she tried to teach me things didn't work for me. We had lots of misunderstandings & arguments. I tried to be helpful when I thought I might could but things came out the wrong way & she misinterpreted my intentions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 10:39 am

nick007 wrote:
W91T wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ZachGoodwin wrote:

They complained that I wasn't helpful but mom was critical of the way I did things so I kinda learned not do alot. I also have disabilities & the way she tried to teach me things didn't work for me. We had lots of misunderstandings & arguments. I tried to be helpful when I thought I might could but things came out the wrong way & she misinterpreted my intentions.

It's a long time ago anyway. I just brought it up because I have had my share of people overreacting and deciding to push me away as a result rather than get to know me. Most of the people among her friends and family who I had met seemed to pick other people apart. Why they were not even very nice to my former friend and have shunned her from several things and made her feel bad about herself.

Actually, this friend of her's decided to take a break from my their friendship because I was allowed to attend two events when they are the one who agreed to invite me in the first place. On the contrary, her friend proved to be one of those people who liked to find things to complain about.