Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2017, 12:21 pm

Two academics posted a "paper" titled "The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct."

Quote:
“The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct” should not have been published on its merits because it was actively written to avoid having any merits whatsoever. The paper is academically worthless nonsense. The question that now needs to be answered is, “How can we restore the reliability of the peer-review process?”

Quote:
This hoax, however, was rooted in moral and political biases masquerading as rigorous academic theory. Working in a biased environment, we successfully sugarcoated utter nonsense with a combination of fashionable moral sentiments and impenetrable jargon. Cogent Social Sciences happily swallowed the pill. It left utter nonsense easy to disguise.

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/con ... r-studies/

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 12:50 pm

Quote:
The Pay-to-Publish, Open-Access Journal Problem

They go on to pose questions abut lax, academic standards, for what amounts to a user-supported, open platform.

What if it is never understood to carry any moral authority, in the first place.

These trolls / poseurs could have used the same expenditure, to promote whichever worldview they prefer.

But, noone should feel obliged by it, like the free marketplace of ideas, public library, or open forum.

Rather than calling for more rigid controls, more partiality, they could acknowledge that it's philosophical anarchism.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 3:33 pm

Yes!! !! I found out about that last night. Hilarious. :lol: :lmao: :hail: :salut:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 4:47 pm

it's amazing how "accepting equal rights for women and non-whites" and "maybe other cultures and their worldviews are okay, too" turned into postmodernist gender studies....

plus: the guy in the video says " abomb dropped". no, not really. yeah, the journal is rightfully discredited.
but: I find the whole concept fishy - academics having to publish a certain amount of papers in a certain time-frame, and then a for-profit industry around that will publish it all.
I think the system on which academia is built is faulty.
doesn't discredit individuals, or any particular field of study, but the way "productivity" in academia is measured.

and that way of measurement.... I'm sure an economist came up with that. And that's what the humanities are for: realizing that the whole system is idiocy.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 7:42 pm

I approve this thread.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:20 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Two academics posted a "paper" titled "The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct."

Quote:
“The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct” should not have been published on its merits because it was actively written to avoid having any merits whatsoever. The paper is academically worthless nonsense. The question that now needs to be answered is, “How can we restore the reliability of the peer-review process?”

Quote:
This hoax, however, was rooted in moral and political biases masquerading as rigorous academic theory. Working in a biased environment, we successfully sugarcoated utter nonsense with a combination of fashionable moral sentiments and impenetrable jargon. Cogent Social Sciences happily swallowed the pill. It left utter nonsense easy to disguise.

What is actually going on in academia is the following.

For most fields of study at universities, there is very little demand for those with PhDs in the field. Most job opportunities for someone with a PhD will be teaching positions at universities. At research universities, professors must make themselves relevant enough to keep, while having little, if any access to funding for actual research. So what do they do? They write papers on obscure subjects and position themselves as experts in that subject. In social sciences, they often fluff up these papers with their own personal theories. As illustrated above, the papers could be absolute B.S. and still get published, because no one on the peer review committee wants to admit that they don't understand a paper, and those people on the peer review committee are often in the same position as the person submitting the paper for review.

It's a racket designed to create job security for people with PhDs in obscure fields with few real world applications.

As an aside, a lot of university researchers aren't actually interested in the subject they are researching.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:30 am

Quote:
Manspreading — a complaint levied against men for sitting with their legs spread wide — is akin to raping the empty space around him.

the age in which we live

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 2:23 am

As I always expected, PhD and their ilk know everything about nothing, and nothing about everything.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 6:45 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Yes!! ! ! I found out about that last night. Hilarious. :lol: :lmao: :hail: :salut:

I don't have any problems with Nye's ordinary haircut, or any outmoded, teacher-y thing he is wearing. One look at his mischievous face, and I think, Maoist struggle session.

I think, they think, it's rhetoric.

But, there's no telling how far they will go, to seal the bit.

This is like the criminal narrative, or an excuse to misbehave. People parroting this stuff don't necessarily believe it to be true; they're still using it, as a lever, or crowbar, to obtain precious resources.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 10:28 am

Chronos wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

What is actually going on in academia is the following.

For most fields of study at universities, there is very little demand for those with PhDs in the field. Most job opportunities for someone with a PhD will be teaching positions at universities. At research universities, professors must make themselves relevant enough to keep, while having little, if any access to funding for actual research. So what do they do? They write papers on obscure subjects and position themselves as experts in that subject. In social sciences, they often fluff up these papers with their own personal theories. As illustrated above, the papers could be absolute B.S. and still get published, because no one on the peer review committee wants to admit that they don't understand a paper, and those people on the peer review committee are often in the same position as the person submitting the paper for review.

It's a racket designed to create job security for people with PhDs in obscure fields with few real world applications.

As an aside, a lot of university researchers aren't actually interested in the subject they are researching.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. When I was in college, they had terrible adjunct instructors in math who couldn't teach at all. Students stopped signing up for those instructors. Did the university get rid of those instructors? No, they stopped telling students who their instructor was going to be, listing the instructor category as TBA.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 2:26 pm

Not the first time this happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

*insert Warhammer 40k call to Purge! here*

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 3:01 pm

Maybe its the other way around.

Maybe its actually a social penis, and that it is actually a conceptual concept (as opposed to the other kind of concept).

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2017, 4:18 pm

So to summarise:

- Authors write nonsensical paper and submit it to a low-quality journal
- The journal rejects their paper without even sending it to peer review because it is obvious nonsense
- The authors take it to a pay-to-publish journal and pay hundreds of dollars to publish it.

Essentially, after failing to trick a human, they just showed what we knew all along - that pay-to-publish journals are usually trash.

The predictive text physics paper was much better.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 2:25 am

Authors did not pay to have this published. The University they're at has a fund set apart to have papers published in publically available journals, but the authors deemed it unethical to use that money for their purposes. This paper was published entirely on its own merits, or lack thereof.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 8:57 am

Huh, now I'm confused. It was paid for, but not by the authors nor the university, but somehow through a third party.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2017, 10:10 am

Most material published in academic journals is rubbish. Just throw in a sophisticated-looking statistical model, put in a lot of references to equally stupid papers, and you're golden.