Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 4:14 am

I often been told that i have no emphaty. I dont know for sure is it true or not.
Have you ever been told that you have no emphaty?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 4:22 am

i have too much empathy for the few that are dear to me.

it's easier to communicate empathy through text (like this) than in meatspace. i wouldn't be caught dead speaking to strangers there the way i do here (sometimes :mrgreen: )

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 4:29 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

it's easier to communicate empathy through text (like this) than in meatspace. i wouldn't be caught dead speaking to strangers there the way i do here (sometimes :mrgreen: )

me either :D

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 4:51 am

I have empathy for animals, and in some degree for children.

For adults, teens and old people i dont have empathy, at least enough.

My sister (14, i am 16) often says i "dont have a heart" and that "i have a heart of stone" (which in itself is contradictory and mean).

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 4:58 am

teksla wrote:
I have empathy for animals, and in some degree for children.

For adults, teens and old people i dont have empathy, at least enough.

My sister (14, i am 16) often says i "dont have a heart" and that "i have a heart of stone" (which in itself is contradictory and mean).

Same here. I was called by my friend as man with the Iron heart " man without mercy" and so on.

Last edited by JLD on 22 May 2017, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 5:00 am

I have too much empathy. I even get told off sometimes for worrying about others instead of myself.

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 5:03 am

I have strong empathy to those who share my ideas who share my thoughts who belongs to my circle.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2017, 5:04 am

I have been told things that equate to being told I lack empathy.

I am empathetic in certain contexts, such as when I can relate to the other person's situation (though arguably I'm just 'projecting' my own feelings). It can also depend on my mood as if something is bothering me then I'm likely to be very self-absorbed. Though if I am aware of this then I will at least make an effort to appear interested in the other person... though often I do this to keep up appearances and/or avoid conflict :?

I have been most empathetic when it comes to animals or if a person's treasured possession is somehow lost, stolen, or damaged and I feel sad when I hear about people being abandoned.

In short, while I don't feel I'm completely devoid of empathy, I do believe I lack empathy to an extent.

I also take the more controversial stance that I (personally) don't experience 'too much empathy' but rather 'too much personal distress'.

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 5:08 am

HAHA so im not alone as i see :D

We are like replicants :D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 5:14 am

I'm fairly detached most of the time.

MrSerious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2017, 7:08 am

I've had my own mother tell me that, "I don't have emotions". Obviously, that's not true. The reality is that I care more than others, but it doesn't show on my face. I know for a fact that I care more than others because I've seen other people let horrible maltreatment of others just roll right off their back, whereas it lingers with me for days and I can't seem to get it out of my head. I've also witnessed NTs routinely laugh and make fun of others suffering and sincerely take pleasure in the bullying of other people. I've never seen someone with Autism bully someone else. Yet, we are supposedly the ones that lack empathy. Some might argue that this is because of the way people with Autism are treated as a child, but I don't buy this. I remember September 11th, 2001 when I was only 11-12 years old going to school that day and in my math class the teacher put the news coverage of the attacks on the television, and allowed us to watch it while we worked on worksheets. I was the only one in a class of roughly 20-25 people who was watching the coverage. Everyone else was working on their worksheets and laughing and having a good time with their peers. Not only that, a couple of guys were actually making fun of me for watching the coverage instead of talking to my peers! If it is me that lacks empathy, what would you say about these people?

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 8:55 am

My mother told me I have no empathy and yelled at me because I told her someone might die and described the way in which they will die.

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2017, 10:48 am

This_Amoeba wrote:
My mother told me I have no empathy and yelled at me because I told her someone might die and described the way in which they will die.

You are brilliant ....charming story :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:21 pm

JLD wrote:
I have strong empathy to those who share my ideas who share my thoughts who belongs to my circle.

I think that is the empathy most NTs have.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2017, 12:45 pm

I think I have a lot more empathy now than I did when I was a little kid. Someone told me that he knows another autistic person who has 10 times more empathy than I do though.

wish_and_persist
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2017, 1:02 pm

Yes, and I know it's true. I do have tons of sympathy though.