Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:54 am

I was at the Auckland equivalent of an SJW rally in Aoteoa Square today. Their was a big crowd of people militantly opposed to peace keeping and any kind of foreign military intervention. They talked about how intervention was part of the global elites plan to dominate society and everyone had "f**k alt right" t shirts. This makes me worried since I don't like the idea of abandoning peacekeeping which has been an amazing force for good. Are we distancing ourselves too far from the idea of interventionism and if so how do we stop the tide?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 4:48 am

It feels nowadays that if I talk to people both left and right their is a consensus on this issue. That being that Military Intervention has by and large been a negative force. How do we challenge this idea in the world.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

Peacekeeping is extremely difficult, and is often resented.It is quite a complex decision when an who to send, and what their role is.

I can quite understand why NZ population wouldn't want to be involved in peacekeeping outside of southern Asia and Australasia.

It would make more sense NZ peacekeeping to be deployed in East Timur, maybe I can understand the reluctance to being involved in Syria, etc. NZ is not that large population wise and its immediate threats are closer to home.

That said I'm not isolationist either.

I don't think you should be an aggressors to China, but there need to be a join effort to discourage the expansionism that China is currently perusing, e.g. Vietnam/Philippines/Japan