Any ASD Friendly Groups/Organizations In Fife/Edinburgh?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Richard86
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2017, 7:43 am

Okay so this is sort of a big step for me, I'm seldom one to reply to posts never mind initiate them myself, as I'm sure many out there will understand, it's just something I've never been comfortable with even online.

What I'm asking here is if anyone knows of any ASD adult friendly groups or organizations that operate in or around the Fire/Edinburgh area of Scotland.

I'm into my 30's as of last year and only recently diagnosed as having ASD despite having been under numerous doctors and psychologists since I was in my early 20's and I have zero friends, very little family to turn to and next to no idea how to socialize or engage with people as I tend to suffer from severe mental and emotional backlash from forced exposure that takes days if not a week or more to recover from so I've always shied away from people and places.

But with growing older (older, not up, there's a difference in my mind), I'm also trying to change bits and pieces and see if I can't make some sort of life for myself, though where to start and how to go about it is still up in the air, I figure maybe trying to spend time and socializing with people similar to myself and who can understand what I go through to some degree might be a good place to start.

But getting reliable and up to date information is a task. Many of the government groups or services I've had suggested to me by a doctor or by representatives of NAS/One-Stop-Shops have proved to defunct due to lack of funding, insufficient space or so far out of the way public transport didn't extend that far, so I'm trying here to see if anyone knows or can suggest anything to me.

So please, feel free to chip in some knowledge if you have any.

Here's to hoping. Thank you for reading.

Richard86
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2017, 7:15 am

So from the lack of reply I'm guessing nobody knows of anything like this? Shame.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 8:12 am

I'm surprised Number 6 hasn't helped you. I would imagine you haven't received a reply to this thread because your area is quite specific.

Rossum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2017, 8:13 am

Hi Richard ,

Ignore my pm about No 6 as it looks like someone has beaten me to it on here.

Last edited by Rossum on 12 Jun 2017, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

The only ASD group I know in Scotland is I Am Me Scotland ( http://www.iammescotland.co.uk/ ). But, it is "a community charity that works in partnership with Police Scotland to raise awareness of and tackle disability hate crime." Nonetheless, I understand from its newsletter ( http://www.iammescotland.co.uk/blog/ ) that it sponsors several various events. Might be worth a call to its staffers to learn more. It is based in Paisley, but I would be surprised if it is limited to that community only.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)