Page 8 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

Sargon the Great, of Akkad. about 2300 BC.

The first Semitic speaking ruler of the Mesopotamia. Conquered the nonsemitic Sumerians, and expanded the empire beyond Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) to the Levant, and started a 100 year dynasty.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 9:30 pm

Tiberius Julius Aspurgus Philoromaios

King of the Bosporus, 8 BC - 38 AD.

Seriously folks, this guy really existed!

The Bosporan Kingdom was a client state of the Roman Empire, located in the Crimea and the territory to the East of the Sea of Azov. Aspurgus ruled with the backing of the Julio-Claudian Roman emperors Augustus and Tiberius, as shown by his adopted names Julius and Tiberius, as well as the title 'Philoromaios', which means 'lover of Romans'. His own name was of Iranian origin. His descendants ruled the kingdom for the next 300 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiberius_Julius_Aspurgus

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

(waving) Hi, DeepHour----it's WONDERFUL to see you!!

Unas, King of Egypt for 30 years, before Christ. He built a pyramid which was the smallest of all the royal pyramids, but surpassed all others because of the paintings / carvings, and the innovation of adding the Pyramid Texts, on the inside walls.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 4:08 pm

Vukan

King of Serbia 1089-1112, founder of the Vukanović dynasty. An aggressive ruler, he fought successful campaigns against the Byzantines and Macedonians.

Campin_Cat wrote:
(waving) Hi, DeepHour----it's WONDERFUL to see you!!

Thanks, Campin_Cat, and glad to see you're still making the occasional foray into this part of the site!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 3:01 pm

William the Conquerer

Illegimate son of the Robert I, Duke of Normandy, William was the first Norman King of England. He reigned from 1066 until his death in 1087. William built many castles, keeps, and mottes. among them the central keep of the Tower of London, the White Tower.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 5:57 am

X-Ussi

He was apparently a Neo-Hittite king who ruled around 640 BC. That's all I could find out.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 6:56 am

Anna of Russia

Daughter of Ivan V and Empress of Russia from 1730 to 1740. She continued the Westernization of Russia started by her uncle Peter the Great.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 4:56 pm

Bagrat I

King of Iberia 830-76 AD. Iberia roughly corresponded to the present day state of Georgia in the Caucasus.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:44 pm

Charles I of England

Charles I (19 November 1600 – 30 January 1649[a]) was monarch of the three kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland from 27 March 1625 until his execution in 1649.

Charles was the second son of King James VI of Scotland, but after his father inherited the English throne in 1603, he moved to England, where he spent much of the rest of his life. He became heir apparent to the English, Irish, and Scottish thrones on the death of his elder brother, Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, in 1612.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 8:00 pm

Danilo I

Ruler of Montenegro 1826-60. During his rule the country achieved full independence from the Ottoman empire after defeating the Turks at the battle of Grahovac in 1858. He was assassinated in 1860 as he was boarding a ship in the port of Kotor.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 5:10 am

Edward I of England

Also known as Edward Longshanks and the Hammer of the Scots, was King of England from 1272 to 1307. The first son of Henry III, Edward was involved in outright rebellion by the English barons against his father. As king, He spent much of his reign reforming royal administration and common law. He conquered Wales, but failed to do the same with Scotland.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

Frederick I 'Barbarossa'

Holy Roman Emperor 1152-90. His title means 'Red Beard'. Fought numerous campaigns, mostly successful, in Germany and Northern Italy to consolidate his power and was involved in the Third Crusade. Legend has it that he sleeps under a Bavarian mountain, and that when ravens cease to fly around it, he will awake and lead Germany back to its former greatness. Mrs Merkel probably thinks she's beaten him to it....

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:07 pm

George V

Quick Facts

Name
George V

Occupation
King, 1910-1936

Birth Date
June 3, 1865

Death Date
January 20, 1936

Place of Birth
London, England

Place of Death
Sandringham, England

Originally
George Frederick Ernest Albert of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

Other Interesting Facts -Pursued a Naval career and suffered from COPD for eleven years

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm

Henry The Fowler

Holy Roman Emperor 919-936 AD. So called because of his love for hunting birds in traps. In the videogame Return to Castle Wolfenstein he is reincarnated by the Nazis (as King Heinrich) and is the end of game 'boss' character.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

Queen Isabella of Castile. Wife of King Ferdinand of Aragon.

The two unified their respective realms into the one of country of Spain. Kicked the Arabs out of their remaining enclaves in Southern Iberia, strengthened the centralized monarchy and weakened the nobility, unleashed the Inquisition, and banished Jews and Muslims from Spain.

Also she and her husband were also among the first folks ever to make a "research grant" - give money to test to theory.

They financed the voyage of a certain smooth talking Italian who had the notion that you could reach the Far East by Sailing west. The Italian was convinced that Japan was only 600 miles west of the Azores. The planet was quite a bit bigger than he thought. And two continents blocked his way to the Orient.

Oh well.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 9:20 pm

Juba I of Numidia (c. 85–46 BC, reigned 60–46 BC). He was the son and successor to Hiempsal II.

"Standing at the mast-head of my ship during a sunrise that crimsoned sky and sea, I once saw a large herd of whales in the east, all heading towards the sun, and for a moment vibrating in concert with peaked flukes. As it seemed to me at the time, such a grand embodiment of adoration of the gods was never beheld, even in Persia, the home of the fire worshippers. As Ptolemy Philopater testified of the African elephant, I then testified of the whale, pronouncing him the most devout of all beings. For according to King Juba, the military elephants of antiquity often hailed the morning with their trunks uplifted in the profoundest silence." --Moby-Dick

There Are Four Lights!