Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:19 pm

#1. We don't know the truth of reality, therefore, we don't know if we're ever right

As Socrates said, "All I know is that I know nothing".

We have opinions, perceptions, we see through human eyes, we make sense of the things in a human brain.

If we ever think we are "right", then we might be enlightened to think our "rightness" is based on our particular views, perceptions, beliefs, attitudes, upbringing ...

We see this in philosophy, where the philosophical "realists" contrast with the philosophical "anti-realists".

The"realists" argue that reality-is-real, that our senses and mind can find an approximation of reality, while the anti-realists argue that reality-is-not-real, reality does not exist without experience, thus, this approximation is simply a construct of the mind.

Thus, we don't know the truth of reality, and we don't know if it exists without experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_realism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-realism

#2. Life is journey, not a race.

When you are at a low point in your life, this is wisdom to cheer you up.

I was delayed most of my life. Called stupid. Made fun of. I always wanted to be smart like other people. I felt like a failure often.

At low points in my life, my dad said to me, "life is a journey, not a race".

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:18 pm

Probably the best take away from my own life, kind of in line with Neibur's serenity prayer:

Accept the things you can't change about yourself, modify the things you can change that are out keeping with best practices in the world you live in, and work to fill in or adapt the difference between what you can't change and can knowing that it's an endeavor that'll bring greater ease in life but that it may never be fully complete or even completeable.

And the other bit I said earlier - if it hurts and your doing it voluntarily stop doing it! :)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Probably the best take away from my own life, kind of in line with Neibur's serenity prayer:

Accept the things you can't change about yourself, modify the things you can change that are out keeping with best practices in the world you live in, and work to fill in or adapt the difference between what you can't change and can knowing that it's an endeavor that'll bring greater ease in life but that it may never be fully complete or even completeable.

And the other bit I said earlier - if it hurts and your doing it voluntarily stop doing it! :)

Yeah, that's a good one.

I have seen it stated on the general forum as "accept you have autism and move on".

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 1:35 am

Pay your taxes.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:33 am

Don't eat yellow snow.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:18 am

http://m.wikihow.com/Understand-the-Four-Noble-Truths

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

Always shower at home, so nobody can make fun of your weenie.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!