Cymbalta, worth taking the 2nd time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kaup
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2017, 4:26 am

Hey,
Used to take Cymbalta Duloxetine 60 mg for my crippling depression a few years ago during a 6 month period. Cymbalta really restored my natural self and the only side effects I experienced were sweating, and the withdrawal effects were horrible brain zaps during 2 weeks.

I’m a Diabetic and was recently also diagnosed with IBS and Autism.

I have now been in a depressive mood for 2+ years. Feeling fatigued, aliphatic, sleep problems, no interest in hobbies or friends. My GP was checking my overall health and everything was fine.

I do not know if its life itself or my IBS which causes me to feel depressed. Nothing seems to give me highs anymore.
I have started taking Probiotics for my IBS which apparently also could reduce depression. Been trying diets, meditation, and exercise. No luck.

I went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me Effexor, alternatively Paxil. But I resisted taking any of them and asked to be put on Cymbalta again since it worked well for me the first time.

But will Cymbalta Duloxetine work for me a 2nd time if it worked as well the first time? I’m terrified of the brain zap withdrawal effects or anything worse. And that Cymbalta or antidepressants, in general, will permanently alter my brain and in worst case make permanent damage. My psychiatrist insists worst case scenarios won't happen and if Cymbalta worked for me the 1st time there is a good probability it will work equally as well this time. Cymbalta made me feel the best I ever felt. But as soon as I quit taking Cymbalta my depression came back.

I have been hearing diet, life style changes, vitamin supplements etc are the cure. But none seem to work.
I begin to think that Cymbalta is my last resort (or any other antidepressant) to cure my current depression.
Should I try Cymbalta Duloxetine again a 2nd time? Any experiences? I'm just so afraid of the side effects. Especially reading some people get permanent brain zaps etc. But then I don't want to feel this depressed.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2017, 11:42 pm

I never took it but my girlfriend tried it for a short time & she had really bad stomach problems on it & after she switched to a different antidepressant. We looked it up & lots of people have a very hard time withdrawing from it. My girlfriend's mom was taking a different antidepressant for a long time that was working but quit cause she thought she was better. Her depression came back so she went back on it & it didn't help. I would suggest asking the psych to try an antidepressant that has safer withdrawal effects.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition