New Aspie, Writer, Fearful of Workplace

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ElizaMe
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2017, 4:19 am

Hey guys :) I'm a newly-diagnosed HFA who is 20 years old and a female. I've always kind of been a writer. I'm looking to potentially assimilate into the workplace (after failing to cope with university). I'd like to become a copywriter but I fear that I couldn't handle the pressure of professionalism and the pressure to perform (and workplace noise and dynamics). What's more, I would feel quite overwhelmed by the prospect of not having definitive instructions or guidance from my superior. In settings in which I need to write, I need quite specific guidelines. Does anyone else feel this way. If you're a writer, how do you write and how do you work best? Thanks everyone :) Really glad to be a part of this website :)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 12:20 am

I am not really by any stretch a professional writer, I do some writing but is more of a hobby along with the quite a bit of writing I could do on forums. What I am, is someone who is struggling to find a job as someone who HFA, and I see that you are also in Australia so I could recommend perhaps going through Centrelink to see if you can get hooked up with a disability employment service, I have been having a caseworker trying to help find and or prepare me for a job. That has been through my disability pension, I am not sure if it might apply to you if you have been newly diagnosed.

I also tried and failed at university when I first tried right out of high school. I instead took some TAFE courses, and I kind of completed that, got more comfortable with some more adult expectations, and then afterwards completed my university degree just last year. I too am actually quite frightened about the expectations of the workplace, my plan is an office while I have studies accounting, and so far the advice has been that a proper workplace should make sure I am not just left to my own devices and have some guidance.

For my own background of writing, I think it is that you need something to write. I kind of always liked writing, but I don't think I had anything to say, the things I did younger were just uninspired and little motivation. So I took to being a fan of anime and or games, and just wrote out my thoughts on things on an online community, and this worked a couple ways in kind of getting a flow of writing down a lot of things, but also made me more creative, I personally processed a lot of different works and came up with my own flares or ideas. It is mostly fiction which I am writing as a hobby, and it stalled for a while with me coming back now, but the way I find myself work best is that I take down notes, a core idea I have, some smaller or other complementary ideas, I make a list of characters, events, places, and then I make up a bare skeleton of the project where I can place the things I want at different parts. I am not really that good at on the fly writing down something, usually I have most of it planned out beforehand, with also specifically a lot of thought put into the beginning after I have looked at the skeleton, which then creates a feedback loop to fill in the skeleton a bit more for points.

I apologise that I do not really know a lot about what a copywriter is. The process I picked up for writing reports in uni was not too different to what I have done for fiction. I get a single idea, take the skeleton that was usually supplied by the assessment, spread them out with ideas of how long each part should go, and expand on all of those points, just keep writing. Because those are for more professional reasons I then tend to keep checking the instructions and that what I wrote fits. I am otherwise a fairly slow actual writer, it can take a while for me to get all of the ideas onto paper, and I tend to do it privately in my room, but I think about what I want to write quite a lot, which I think is only practice. I hope this somehow helped. Most of the time I think that I just spend to much time writing about myself.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 1:58 am

How are your fiction writing skills? Write fiction, and you can avoid the workplace all together.