Diagnosed Fictional Characters With Autism/Aspergers

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 3:26 pm

I know there's a thread for undiagnosed fictional characters that has tons of posts. But what about characters officially with autism/aspergers? Can't think if any. Besides Ben Afflack's character in "The Accountant" and Max in "Mary and Max"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

Amy Reed’s latest novel battles rape culture with self-discovery

Quote:
The Nowhere Girls, which she will launch with an event at Malaprop’s on Tuesday, Oct. 10. Set in rural Oregon, the novel begins months after high school sophomore Lucy Moynihan has come forward about being raped, only to find her community refuses to believe her.

In the novel, three girls — Grace, Erin and Rosina (dubbed “the Nowhere Girls” to preserve their anonymity) — lead the charge to get justice for Lucy. Each of them has to grow, however, to create real, lasting change.

And as much as Reed’s depiction of Grace exemplifies this approach, her rendering of Erin goes further.

“The more I wrote her,” Reed says, “she started shifting and changing.” Eventually, Reed realized that Erin had Asperger’s and wanted to be sure that her depiction didn’t reinforce stereotypes. “I worked with three sensitivity readers who had Asperger’s,” Reed says. “I sent them the first draft. It was not good.”

The author discovered that she had drawn too heavily on research that approached Asperger’s from the point of view of parents and clinicians. With the help of her sensitivity readers, she strove to create a compassionate portrayal of a young woman with the disorder leaning into a fuller experience while remaining true to her nature.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:39 pm

Max in the TV show Parenthood.
The bunch in Mozart and the Whale.
The kid in the movie Mercury Rising.
And there is a new show called Atypical.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 8:09 pm

There was a character on the British school drama Waterloo Road with AS, but IIRC she only appeared in episodes where AS played a role, which is disappointing.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:51 pm

Sorry for the cheapness of this post, but there are just so many interesting works covered here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... characters

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 4:04 pm

Christopher Boone in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm

I've read quite a few books with main characters with autism but all of them. I had to directly search out. Got to your local library and search it

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:41 pm

Jacob Hunt from House Rules
Jason Blake from Anything But Typical

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:52 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Christopher Boone in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

That one's debatable. The author says he is not diagnosed with anything specifically and while Aspergers is mentioned on the cover notes he regrets that ever happened, that the book is not about any specific condition.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 9:24 pm

If the author doesn't want it, then it is so.

But the author portrayed many of the sensory sensitivities and compulsions found in people with Aspergers--and he did that quite well.

This is especially true within the account of Christopher's first arrival in London.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
Max in the TV show Parenthood.
The bunch in Mozart and the Whale.
The kid in the movie Mercury Rising.
And there is a new show called Atypical.

The kid in the Netflix show Touch.

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm

The only confirmed dude I know has been said and is the play that made me go "oh... so I may be a wee bit autistic..."

But uh. I have an autistic oc! I don't wanna tell you about her (I do) but I don't in case I make it into a book or people steal my ideas. Not that you're idea-stealing people. But I like to be cautious, also posting stuff online can make it count as "previously published" which makes publishers go "ew, unprofressional, bye." I promise she's super great though! I love her so much.

Oh wait no that's wrong! Dylan from casualty. I think. I haven't been watching casualty all the time he has been on it so Idk if it's confirmed, I don't think I ever heard them say yah Dylan totez autistic blblbl but like... I'm sure it's implied a lot. But my family point at him and go "ahahaha reminds me of someone" and then looks at me like ayeee and I'm like "..."

Also edit about the C.B talk above - whaaat? Well. I'm not letting the author take my fave play away from me (but if it is about a different thing then um yay representation but it's still my play.. well not my play but.. I know what I mean)

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2017, 10:40 pm

Billy Cranston from the newest Power Rangers movie is my favorite fictional portrayal so far.
also, this:

At the 0:26 mark, Rick says: "Is this game popular with autistic people? Cause I'm starting to love it!" (I am so using that phrase in the future)
Also the creator of this show (Dan Harmon) is one of us.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:37 am

I am enjoying watching Dr. Shaun Murphy in The Good Doctor on Netflix.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:28 am

Symmetra from the Overwatch game

What Symmetra means to me as a female on the autistic spectrum – Reader’s Feature

Quote:
Overwatch has taken the genre of first person shooters by storm since it burst into our lives last year. I love that the developers have a wide variety of representations of characters in Overwatch, such as Tracer being queer and characters from various ethnicities and backgrounds. With an array of loveable characters, all diverse and possessing their own unique abilities, there was a character that stood out for me the most. That character was Symmetra, a beautiful Indian architect. But later on, I found myself unexpectedly connecting with her on a more personal and emotional level after reader the comic Symmetra: A Better World, which is an origin story. In the comic, it is revealed that everyone has always said she is different and she is asked where she fits on the spectrum. After a marathon Overwatch session, I read an article about the creator confirming that Symmetra is indeed on the autistic spectrum.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

Tiberius blackthorn from Cassandra Clare's dark artifices serie it's been confirmed by the author for awhile know and it was just confirmed in the most recent book the Lord of shadows he,s a very while writen piece of Representation and I see alot of myself in him