Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2017, 6:06 pm

i am sure this very thing has been lamented before, but it seems to be getting worse. Apathy is a problem, but the real problem is the esteem of the general populace. We are a country of "nobodies" run by a bunch of idiots. To put this in context, here is where i am coming from.

i was reading to roomie a story on Facebook about how "The House Judiciary Committee is currently considering imposing significant limitations to the ADA through the passage of the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017." It was basically saying that instead of people with disabilities being able to quickly resolve an issue with a business by taking it to the DOJ or quickly thru municipal courts, the disabled person would have to submit a concern in writing to the business, to which they would have 60 days to acknowledge, and another 120 days to show good progress towards fixing the problem. https://rewire.news/article/2017/05/30/ ... -congress/

The writer says, "Adding a notification requirement won’t make serial lawsuits go away. Instead, it simply sends the message to business owners that they don’t have to worry about complying with the ADA until they receive a letter notifying them that they are discriminating against people with disabilities. In other words, instead of complying, they can just “wait and see” if they are caught.

The imposition of a months-long “waiting period,” during which a business may continue to violate the law and deny access to people with disabilities once it has received a notice that it is violating the ADA, is simply not reasonable.

In short, the premise of bills like the ADA Education and Reform Act is that businesses should not be responsible for knowing their obligations to comply with a law that has been in effect for nearly three decades, but people with disabilities should instead be responsible not only for knowing the accessibility requirements of that law, but also for determining when a business is not in compliance and for knowing the specific requirements of the notice that they must provide."

When i shared, or tried to share, this with roomie, she stops me a quarter of the way thru, tells me she gets the gist and doesn't really care. She says she doesn't think something like this will pass and even if it does, "what is she supposed to do?" Granted, she is physically disabled, but i think this is common across the populace - there's nothing we can do, we are no one of any consequence and i just have to keep my head down. Sad thing is, some people stick their head up and get it lopped off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

This might be a case of somebody who believes in "picking [her] battles."

Most people are like this, unfortunately. People just want to live their lives without having to be angry at things.

Unfortunately, people living that way frequently stymies progress.

Martin Luther King knew how to "pick his battles"----but he also knew that "something had to be done" about racism.

Dr. King picked the Gandhi way, and he succeeded. Malcolm X chose the "angry" way, and he, for the most part, didn't succeed.

If you want to be an activist, you have to do it right.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 9:10 pm

Look up ADAPT. They helped get the ADA passed, and will definitely take to the streets to defend it. They follow King's model.

King succeeded in part because X made him look like a compromise. After people saw black militancy, they became ready to negotiate.

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm

ADAPT, thank you, i will look it up.

Capulet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This might be a case of somebody who believes in "picking [her] battles."

Kraftie- I was going to say the same thing. I don't blame the OP for having a reaction to the way his friend said it though, thats definitely frustrating, but it really does come down to choosing your battles. Its tough.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

What accommodations do you believe are reasonable, and don't infringe upon other people.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 11:20 am

ADAPT wasted no time in becoming part of the discussion.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ls-office/

Quote:
Chaos erupted outside the office of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) Thursday, shortly after Republican leaders unveiled their closely guarded plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

Capitol police were seen physically removing demonstrators, many of whom were in wheelchairs and holding medical equipment, as they chanted their disapproval of the draft legislation.

“No cuts to Medicaid,” they said, while blocking hallway access from McConnell’s office.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

ADAPT in the news again

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... sted-them/

Interrupting a hearing on the latest Repeal and Subvert attempt

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

Seems kind of draconian.
I have my own troubles with picking battles with legislation and political issues.