Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 12:03 pm

I'm looking to get a bigger hard drive for my computer, and there's an $8 difference between Western Digital "Blue" and Western Digital "Mainstream". (There's also a matter of availability.)

I'd never even heard of "Mainstream" until I was looking at the Best Buy website today.

Anyone know anything?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 2:47 pm

Any more, I buy Datacenter quality hard drives. They aren't all that more expensive than regular hard drives and should be more reliable. There are also several other categories available including NAS (Network Addressable Storage)

Also, in terms of failure rates, I may be wrong, but I understand hard drives from HGST and Toshiba tend to have lower failure rates than Seagate and Western Digital. I don't know if that is true for the higher quality drives such as the Datacenter drives.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 3:18 pm

eric76 wrote:
Any more, I buy Datacenter quality hard drives. They aren't all that more expensive than regular hard drives and should be more reliable. There are also several other categories available including NAS (Network Addressable Storage)

Also, in terms of failure rates, I may be wrong, but I understand hard drives from HGST and Toshiba tend to have lower failure rates than Seagate and Western Digital. I don't know if that is true for the higher quality drives such as the Datacenter drives.

My experience with mechanical hard drive manufacturers is that they're of all over the charts on reliability. I've had WD and Seagate drives crap out after a few years, but I've got a Seagate and a WD in my current build that are both almost a decade old (2008, 2009) and both operate fine. I think it comes down to individual manufacturing runs than the manufacturer itself. I'm much pickier about my memory and mobo, I've seen way too many issues with those two components that I always go crucial/kingston on the memory, and gigabyte/asus on mobo.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 9:55 am

eric76 wrote:
Any more, I buy Datacenter quality hard drives...

Never heard of them.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 4:01 am

Sethno wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Any more, I buy Datacenter quality hard drives...

Never heard of them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 3:40 am

If I can ever afford it, I want to move towards using SSDs exclusively. Spinning rust is just too slow and unreliable for me.